X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hi everyone!
    Thank you so much for all of your interest in summer learning for classical composition! Just letting you know that if you plan on signing up for the combination Chreia, Refutation, and Confirmation class please do so in the next few days! This class really works best when there are several people in it, and I know that we would really like to be able to offer it, just needing a few more people to make it the best that it can be, (and to meet our minimum😉). There was a great response of interest earlier this year, so I'm thinking we all just got a bit busy with the fun of Summer. But, classes begin July 5th, and Summer is trotting along briskly, so sign up in the next couple of days!
    See you all soon!
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Stella Maris mom
    For now, we offer this once a year in Summer. I am usually tied to my elementary/secondary level classes in the Fall, but I'm ALWAYS open to making learning CC accessible for parents. I think what you said about a self paced class where you can still submit work for feedback is a fantastic concept, and I will have to really think about that! I love hearing this forum's ideas, keep them coming!
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Yes! This is absolutely correct, the recordings are available to catch up. I won't say "required" as in "I'm grading that" (I am not!!) but rather the interested party would be well rewarded for catching up! The GOOD news is that, being recordings, you can go back and put yourself through the live-recorded videos and supplemental videos, etc, if you need to, in case this all gets too much in Summer. (A distinct possibility!)
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Abigail Johnson View Post
    Hello!
    Yes, we will have classes during Sodalitas. That is actually one of the reasons it is a later evening class, to make sure we do not impinge on Sodalitas. I myself will be there for part of the time too! The adult summer courses are always the same time as the children's summer courses, but we're trying to make everything fit in! Should you miss anything, the recordings will be available to you, just like in the normal online school.
    Abigail
    So just to clarify, we would be expected to view the class and catch up, correct?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm the most fantastic of starters, not a great finisher. I don't want to take on this on if I can't give it the time and attention it deserves.

Leave a comment:

• Stella Maris mom
    replied
    Abigail,

Is there any chance these classes will be offered at another date later in the year as well? Or perhaps in a different format? I’d love to do the class which includes Refutation/Confirmation but cannot log in for the entire time slot consistently. I know it’s only a commitment for a few weeks, but it’s tricky with new-little-one-in-large-family-during-summer!😅 It’d be nice to watch something prerecorded earlier in the day and be able to submit work for feedback (although I understand class time is the only opportunity to ask questions). No need to necessarily reply, just putting it out there that this class would be appreciated at a future date as well!

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hi! Once again, I have gotten in touch with The Powers that push the coding buttons. This is a new thing for us, and it's gotten mixed up with a couple other projects. Thank you all so much for being my editors and my error catchers! I really appreciate the extra set of eyes to make sure word gets out accurately!!
    The Fable and Narrative class will be Mondays from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. Eastern time, and the Chreia & Refutation/Confirmation class, will be Tuesdays from 8-9:30pm. I realized that this gets a little bit late for you in eastern, but I didn't want it to interrupt pool time and evening summer activities for everyone else who's a little bit farther west.
    Regarding what we will be doing, Fable and Narrative class will be divided into 2 weeks for Fable and 3 weeks for Narrative. We will be working through examples and samples of each part of the lessons themselves and then you will complete the rest of the lesson and submit work before the next class. There will also be plenty of lecture style information to make sure the concepts and the goals as well as grading approach and integration with other English concepts such as grammar are clear.
    For the Chreia & Ref/Con class, bring coffee!! Only joking, but this class will have a more significant amount of pre-recorded videos and pre-class preparation to do before class in addition to the live class times and assigned class work, just because we are covering so much material in only 5 weeks! My goal is to provide as much introductory concept "lecture" in previously recorded videos for you, so that the majority of our time in class is working through the lessons and making sure everyone can guide their students in them.
    Hope This answers a few questions, and please ask more!!
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by Abigail Johnson View Post
    Hello!
    Yes, we will have classes during Sodalitas. That is actually one of the reasons it is a later evening class, to make sure we do not impinge on Sodalitas. I myself will be there for part of the time too! The adult summer courses are always the same time as the children's summer courses, but we're trying to make everything fit in! Should you miss anything, the recordings will be available to you, just like in the normal online school.
    Abigail
    Wait, it's in the evening? The registration page says 8-9AM EST.

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied
    I am considering the Chreia/Maxim class as I’d like to be better prepared to teach CC. In the course description it says it includes an overview of the Fable and Narrative stages. Will the class be set up similar to the students with a lesson in fable and narrative before moving into Chreia/Maxim?

Also, about how much time should we plan for homework? Will we be working through an entire lesson per week?

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hello!
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    I am considering the Fable/Narrative class. I just want to confirm the dates/ time...it says 7/5-8/6. Will there be class the Monday of Sodalitas? (7/12?)

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hi DiannaKennedy
    Sorry I missed this earlier! I'm just a bit confused. You ask if you need a background of Fable/Narrative, but then later say that you're comfortable helping with it? Either way, however, my answer is YES, you should be familiar with it, because otherwise your students will not be able to produce the figures and story development in several of the C/M paragraphs, and you will not have the background to be able to hold them to the standard they should be at.
    C/M goes beyond illustrating truth (specifically the moral at the end in Fable, or the Recognition in Narrative) through story to many kinds of truth-telling development: Background context, paraphrase, positive story, negative story, analogy, example, similar famous saying (testimony of ancients) and Epilogue. It "looks" more like an essay, but is really a collective exercise in learning the 8 Heads of Development. In other words, when I take a position on a truth (a particular saying, in these stages' case) I have to be able to convince the reader of its value by way of illustrations about that truth. Sometimes we cannot use made up stories, but must access other kids of persuasive presentation, so we have 8 heads of purpose. That is the heart of C/M.

So, in short, yes, you should at least be familiar with "where" the students have come from so you can both help bridge them to the next book and also hold them to the good writing skills of the last book. I would also consider the Chreia/Maxim streaming videos or DVDs for a supplement, since this will be your first year.
    All the Best,
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

Mrs Johnson,

I'm looking at the Chreia/Maxim class for the summer, as I will have twin boys in this level in the fall. Do I need any sort of background with Fable/Narrative, or can I just jump in with C/M? I outsource composition to the cottage school here, but I will need to be able to help out my boys at home. They have some learning disabilities and need some scaffolding at home. I'm comfortable with helping in Fable and Narrative, but C/M seems totally different to me.
    Abigail Johnson ---- I just wanted to bump up this question to make sure you saw it. Thanks for your help!

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hi!
    I see that now, thanks! However, it's not listed on the 2021 summer courses under adults, you have to specifically go to adult courses immediately, so I will still follow up on that. As I understand we are doing Chreia/Maxim and Ref/Con in the same adult session this summer 😁.

Leave a comment:

• ShaunaN
    replied
    Thanks, Abigail Johnson
    If you hover over the Courses tab and choose Adult Courses, there is a section for Latin and another for Other Courses, where the CC classes are listed. It does not show up if you just go directly to Summer Courses.

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hello!
    Just wanted to let you know that I have seen this. I'm not sure where you're seeing a Chreia & Maxim course because it should be listed in the adult courses, and I don't see any of them. However, the office is of course closed this weekend, but I will be following up with them on Tuesday!
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

Working...
X