Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Adult Learning for CC!

Hi Everyone,
    Something we started experimenting with last year is offering a 6 week adult "course" for some of the stages of Classical Composition.
    During the 6 weeks adult learners have the opportunity to experience several lessons as their children and students experience them, with presentation and practice in the lesson during class, submissions, and feedback. It's a really wonderful opportunity to get familiar with the rhythm of writing for each stage, and the parents and adult learners had a great time digging into the meat of fable and narrative, which was the target for last year. It was also a great re-enforcement of the concepts presented in the Sodalitas and HLSA summer conferences.

The question this year is what stages to cover this summer, and Mr. Schaeffer asked me to reach out on the forum to ask for some feedback.
    If we do another 6 week course (at the same time as the other MPOA Summer offerings) I would cover one of 4 options:
    1) Fable and Narrative (3 weeks of each)
    2) Chreia/Maxim
    3) Ref/Con
    4) Common Topic

Last Summer the courses met twice a week for an hour last year, but I am also flexible about that. All my courses online for typical students are 90 minutes once a week, which I would also be open to, for the sake of having fewer days committed to class time during the busy summer week activities.

So, I have a request:
    If you are interested in an adult learning course this summer please post with your stage/stages preference (in order of preference) and whether you would appreciate a twice a week 60 min class, or once a week for 90 mins.

If there is overwhelming response, we may be able to offer more than one of these options this summer!

Looking forward to another wonderful summer with my fellow lovers of classical education!

Abigail Johnson

I would love this class! (just starting, so the Fable/Narrative). However, summer is odd and might be tricky. The day time is spend running kids here and there (looking forward to that this summer!)?. I could probably do an evening, and I found the 2x a week better for these intense classes. (I took the FFL last summer)
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

I'm not sure I could sign up but if I did, I would need Ref/Con. That being said, it definitely wouldn't hurt to revisit earlier levels. I think once a week would be easier for me to schedule in — and allow more flexibility for working on assignments.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
      DS18: Almost done!
      DS17: MP, MPOA
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD9: SC3
      DD6: MPK

Comment

I'm interested in Ref/Con and would probably prefer to meet once per week. It's always a little tricky for me since I'm on mountain time, but if the time of day worked out, I would love the opportunity!
        DS, 11 (MP 7M)
        DD, 8 (MP 3M)
        DD, 5 (MP K)
        DS, almost 1! (chewing on books and knocking stuff over)

Comment

I need Fable help! 2x's a week.
          DD 4th
          DS 2nd
          DS 5 yr old
          DS 2 yr old

Comment

I would love help with Chreia/Maxim. My preference would be once weekly.
            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
              I would love help with Chreia/Maxim. My preference would be once weekly.
              Ditto! I would also be happy with a class that spent time going over all of the levels.
              Heidi

For 2021-22
              dd- 6th
              ds- 3rd
              dd- 1st
              ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Hi VAmom !
                If you are looking for an overview of the stages, I would definitely recommend the "teacher" trainings at the conference that follows Sodalitas! Most of the CC stages teaching instruction will not happen at Sodalitas this year, I am given to understand, but will happen during the pre-conference and conference days, so Wednesday and Thursday.
                There is also the recording made last year when we were mostly virtual. Sodalitas 2019 Recordings
                Please come!
                Abigail

Comment

I am interested in Fable/Narrative, prefer mornings, 2x per week if it means we can get the course faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail Johnson View Post
                    Hi VAmom !
                    If you are looking for an overview of the stages, I would definitely recommend the "teacher" trainings at the conference that follows Sodalitas! Most of the CC stages teaching instruction will not happen at Sodalitas this year, I am given to understand, but will happen during the pre-conference and conference days, so Wednesday and Thursday.
                    There is also the recording made last year when we were mostly virtual. Sodalitas 2019 Recordings
                    Please come!
                    Abigail
                    Unfortunately I don’t believe I will be able to attend in person but look forward to attending virtually. Thank you for the reminder of the Sodalitas videos. By this time in the school year, I have forgotten what a wealth of knowledge they are.
                    Heidi

For 2021-22
                    dd- 6th
                    ds- 3rd
                    dd- 1st
                    ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Do we have any more information regarding these classes? I'm just trying to map out some summer commitments and would love to know if these composition classes are a go.
                      Plans for 2021-22

DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian

Comment

Hi DiannaKennedy!
                        I've been wondering that myself, as to which ones we will be offering, based on the responses. I think they will decide soon, so if anyone has not put in their two cents please do so soon!
                        I will ask the powers that be what the plan is and get back to you!
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail Johnson View Post
                          Hi DiannaKennedy!
                          I've been wondering that myself, as to which ones we will be offering, based on the responses. I think they will decide soon, so if anyone has not put in their two cents please do so soon!
                          I will ask the powers that be what the plan is and get back to you!
                          ​​​​​​
                          Mrs Johnson,

I'm looking at the Chreia/Maxim class for the summer, as I will have twin boys in this level in the fall. Do I need any sort of background with Fable/Narrative, or can I just jump in with C/M? I outsource composition to the cottage school here, but I will need to be able to help out my boys at home. They have some learning disabilities and need some scaffolding at home. I'm comfortable with helping in Fable and Narrative, but C/M seems totally different to me.
                          Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Gasp!
                            I understood this was all done, dusted, and published, and I have nudged the appropriate authorities.

However, I can say that as I understand things, we are doing a Fable/Narrative class on Mondays at 8-9pm EDT, and a Chreia & Ref/Con class Tuesdays 8-9:30pm EDT during normal Summer course scheduling. Fair disclosure, I'm going off of memory, so please see website soon (pinky promise).

All the best wrapping up this year and planning for the next,
                            Abigail

PS Don't tell Tanya I used the term pinky promise in a forum!

Comment

We won't tell tanya anything at all. Pinky promise.
                              21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
                              S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
                              D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
                              S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Working...
                              X