Help with path from where I am to HSC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with path from where I am to HSC2

My son is in 8th grade and doing Chreia/Maxim. We have applied to the diploma program for next year and I want my son to take a cc class with MPOA next year. Our path to C/M has been winding. With an August birthday, my son was a very young 4A student and we decided to delay starting Fable till 5A. He did Fable in 5th and Narrative in 6th. He is now very solid with these levels, although wasn't so much so at the time. We took 7th off to do an IEW class at co-op. It was in that class that he found his enjoyment of figures of description, and it was only during this class that I realized he had fully mastered the skills from Fable and Narrative. We are doing C/M this year and have finished our scheduled C lessons and are on our second M lesson. He can do well, but I don't really know that I am explaining each paragraph well, and I don't know what level to expect. His variations are wonderful. He is great with figures of speech and descriptions. His storytelling can be lame because he wants to rush and get done. Also, it all sounds so formulaic, and I don't know if that is what is expected or if he should have a better voice. That is our background.
    My plan was to enroll in Ref/Con with MPOA next year. I am not sure if that would count as a high school credit though, especially for the diploma program. Plus, both sections are now full while I have been waiting to find out if we will do diploma. He could take CM/RC. Maybe a semester redoing CM wouldn't be bad? Or maybe it is way overkill given his age. Now I am debating trying to get him to HSC2 next year. We would have to stop CM and jump to RC. I had hoped to get professional help with RC though. I taught RC to my older son, and after reading answers to other's questions about it, I realize that I really didn't do a good job teaching. We used the DVDs for a few lessons, but my son said they were all the same and he got it already and just did it on his own. I had no idea how to find and correct any mistakes in approach.
    So, do I just keep going with CM and do RC next year if a new section opens up, and will it count for high school credit? Do I just glide the rest of this year and do CM/RC next year? Do I switch to RC now and do the best I can with it for a semester and maybe over the summer and do HSC2 in 9th? I really wish there was a way to just jump into RC online right now- like with a teacher guided self paced class. UGGHH. Also, I wish I had just enrolled in CM/RC online this year instead of just doing CM on my own. He is doing his first online class, Fourth Form, and I didn't want to do two full online classes this year though. If he could start out in HSC2 then it would open up time in his schedule for both AP lit and Senior Thesis, but at what cost? Is it bad to rush CM/RC with a poor instructor (me)?
    Help! What is my best path forward?
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Hello,
    If you are unsure about the Chreia/Maxim tone and style (which can always be elevated and made more complex and elevated!) I would do the Chreia/Ref year. Mr. Schaeffer is working on reviewing the credits to see if we need to make any adjustment to our accounting, I believe, so I would check with the office. Your other option is to see if they open a Refutation section, but I would recommend getting a spot in the Chreia/Maxim and Ref/Con classes. (Just make sure he writes them afresh ;-) ) It's ok if they seem formulaic, because they are just developing the acumen of the 8 heads of development, which will then be utilized for the rest of our writing careers. But, we won't ever JUST be writing heads of development, we will have bigger things to do!
    Abigail

Comment

Abigail, Thank you for your response. I have not seemed to find peace on my path forward. I currently have him registered for the CM/RC combo class. I would really like to be able to take HSC2 instead and then HSC3 in 10th and that would leave time for AP Lit/Comp in 11th and senior thesis in 12th. Honestly- is that just me pushing too hard? To do so would mean switching over to Ref/Con right now and teaching it myself (unless there is someone willing to do personal tutoring!) through the summer. I have no idea what level of writing to expect as "mastery" of a level. He is becoming quite adept at writing strong causes and converses and examples, but I feel like some of the other, shorter heads are a bit lame. Maybe they are supposed to be? I mean the examples in the TG are pretty short and to the point for analogy and testimony and such. Would it help if I were able to post a sample of his work?
      My goal is for him to develop into a strong writer who thinks logically and carries a strong voice in his writing going off to college. Ideally that would include getting an AP credit, but not necessarily. Given where he is in 8th grade and that he has four years of high school, what do you recommend as the best MPOA classes to prepare as a writer for college? I am not interested in the IEW class at all. I much prefer the logical training in classical composition. He will also be taking logic through rhetoric level and I want him to take senior thesis. Would you suggest rushing ahead and doing HSC 2 and 3 in 9-10, then AP in 11 and senior thesis in 12? If he only did CM/RC in 9th and HSC2 in 10th, would it better more beneficial to do HSC3 or AP comp in 11th if he was going to do senior thesis in 12 either way?
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 20, Physics major
      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Hello,
        I'm sorry you are struggling to find peace with this! I fully comprehend how complicated it is to plan out English credits!
        The problem we seem to be running into is that he MUST have Ref/Con to continue, and yet you would like to finish by 10th grade.
        I think you hit upon a good idea of "working backwards" in the last part of your post.
        We know you would really like to do Senior Thesis in 12th, and you are debating about AP Lit vs HS 3 in 11th, then.
        I would really recommend HS 3. The final stage of CC, Thesis/Law, is a wonderful preparation for Senior Thesis. In my past I was a test coordinator, and the AP system kind of bothers me, to be honest with you, not MP's excellent coursework, but the international business model sold on "one grade based on one test" etc. I find their way of awarding credits very difficult to justify, especially when students who have not had the coursework can also test and be awarded the same credit as those who didn't do the work. Again, just my personal opinion.
        So, if you have HS 2 in 10th, you can focus this year on really mastering the tone style and complexity of C/M and Ref/Con. As I said, older students can be held to a very high standard in those skills!
        I would not recommend any IEW classes, as they do not have the argument invention that CC does, and you have said that is one of your goals!
        I am sorry that there is not a faster way to go through the MPOA courses, but right now we do not have summer accelerated courses online.
        However, one other idea I did have is to have him take AP Lit (not Language, but Lit) in 11th grade concurrently with HS 3. He needs a literature course, and that would be a great way to get his AP credit and give him experience writing in that coursework while still completing CC.
        It is actually really HELPFUL for students to be required to write in other courses concurrently with CC, as it ensure students are actually using those lovely tools in something other than just the model imitations!

Hmm, these seem to be a lot of tidbits that I'm throwing out there, why don't you have a sift, see what you are liking, and write back, and we'll go from there?
        Cheers,
        Abigail

Comment

Working...
        X