Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Students Reading Their Essays Aloud?

Hello,

I was wondering if any Classical Composition teachers give their students an opportunity to read their essays aloud in class, or even require it.
    If so, how do you go about choosing the essays to be read, and how much time do you set aside for this?
    I know that some students would be terrified if it were required while others would relish the chance.
    I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you may have gained from your experience.

(I am teaching Refutation/Confirmation at this time.)

Thank you,

Chris

Hi Chris,
    Absolutely! In fact, because I teach online and I only see them once a week, and we don't get to do a whole lot of collaboration throughout the week, this is a very excellent way for them to get inspired by hearing what their peers have written. This is a major focus in class, and my students look forward to this every week. I will go through all of my students before I repeat another student's essay, and I usually pick two or three per class and only have them read portions period. As far as selecting which work to display in class, at first I look for students who are quicker learners and more adept at some of our skills, to help illustrate those skills for students who are less intuitive about picking up the concepts. But then, as we move through a stage, everybody should be getting a turn at some point before you circle back around to students who have already presented. Hopefully, on a rotation basis, say you have a class of 15 to 20 students, and you do two to three essays a week, means that you get through everybody at least once a semester at the minimum.

Abigail

Comment

Hi Abigail,

Thank you so much for your response!

In other teaching environments, I have found presentation to be an extremely valuable exercise. I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't be asking too much with this stage and age group. I currently have 13 students, so I will try your suggestion of using a rotation to be sure that everyone has a chance at least once a semester.

Have a great weekend,

Chris

Comment

Working...
      X