Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fable paraphrase #2 backwards or reduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fable paraphrase #2 backwards or reduction?

Hello! Me again. So I am watching the Fable DVD lesson 1. All seems to align great with my teachers manual as I am following along then he gets to what seems like should be "Rewrite the fable by reduction." paraphrase #2 on page 12 and he says this is where we are suppose to write the fable backwards??? Both my student book and Teachers Manual says it is reduction not writing it backwards. Just curious as to why the DVD was telling me something different. FYI I just ordered all these from Memoria. So brand new. :-) I of course can just follow the book if I like but I was just going to ask you if you have any insight into this. Thanks again!!!

Hi Tara! The edition has been updated more recently than the DVD's. I was actually in Louisville RIGHT before the world shut down recording new DVD's, but I'm not sure when they will be ready? tanya So there might be some discrepancies between the two resources for the moment, until the new DVD's are out. This happens here and there as we refine our millennia old curriculum, continuing to understand it and best communicate it to instructors and students. 😀

I think Tanya can help us out here to make sure you have the most consistent resources. (Not to toot my own horn, but I had so much fun recording those, and I can't wait until they're done!) Either way, though, if you need to make these work, go ahead and go to a DVD that introduces and guides reduction, and then use that to guide your student through. OR just follow the DVD's and re-write the prompt that is in the workbook so it matches.

Abigail

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail Johnson View Post
      Hi Tara! The edition has been updated more recently than the DVD's. I was actually in Louisville RIGHT before the world shut down recording new DVD's, but I'm not sure when they will be ready? tanya So there might be some discrepancies between the two resources for the moment, until the new DVD's are out. This happens here and there as we refine our millennia old curriculum, continuing to understand it and best communicate it to instructors and students. 😀

I think Tanya can help us out here to make sure you have the most consistent resources. (Not to toot my own horn, but I had so much fun recording those, and I can't wait until they're done!) Either way, though, if you need to make these work, go ahead and go to a DVD that introduces and guides reduction, and then use that to guide your student through. OR just follow the DVD's and re-write the prompt that is in the workbook so it matches.

Abigail
      Gotcha! It's no problem at all. I figured something along those lines. I am just happy to have the DVD to help me learn. I may use them more for me than the kids. HaHa. But I will definitely be looking forward to your teaching on the new DVDs. Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

We changed that lesson because we felt like writing the Fable backwards was too difficult to start with. So we made it reduction, which is easier. You may see a few minor changes like that scattered throughout, but nothing significant.

Tanya

Comment

We're just starting Fable, trying to complete it during the summer. Can you help me to understand what "reduction" is? We have the old DVD's, too. I was so intimidated to start CC, and I'm struggling to understand the different components. Thanks!

Comment

Hello.

"Reduction" is really the same as "making more concise." Can you say it clearly in fewer words? At least, that's how I understand it. I'm going to be interested to see if Abigail totally shoots my explanation down!

Tanya

Comment

Hi Jen,
              tanya No, I'm not going to shoot you down!

Condensation is the same thing as reduction. Basically, the idea is to get a story down to the "bare bones" or the essentials necessary to communicate only the basic idea.
              We do this in two ways.
              Firstly, we take the story sentence by sentence and decide that inside the sentence is necessary (remove adjectives, superfluous details, descriptions)

Secondly, we look at what is left and decide what sentences/phrases are absolutely essential to communicating the truth (the maxim).For example, from the Tortoise and the Hare, it is absolutely necessary that the Tortoise reaches the finish line before the Hare, but it is not essential that the Tortoise dozed in the shade after her efforts.

A reduction of this Fable might be: A Tortoise and Hare set out to race one day. The Hare, confident of winning, ran part way, and stopped to nap. The Tortoise never stopped walking until reaching the finish line. The Hare awoke and found he had lost the race.
              "Slow and steady wins the race."

This is such a fun exercise because at first it seems like fables are already so short, that you cannot possibly take anything out, but when you really get down to what you absolutely need to make the story make sense and communicate the truth of the maxim, you can see how much description and embellishment really are there. Students should still look at their style and construction. No super-short, choppy and lazy sentences! Flowing and compound sentences are better! That adds to the fun of writing these.

Blessings,
              Abigail

PS The online conference does a whole morning on Fable, I would encourage you to sign up and come! I'm not teaching that one, but the other teachers are excellent, and will help make sure you can be confident and joyous in your Composition year! I don't want anyone to feel overwhelmed or stressed :-)

Comment

Thank you, this was my exact question. I also thought inverting the sequence was hard to start with (even as an adult!) any news on when the new dvds come out? I’ve loved every improvement MP has made so I know it will be helpful!!

Comment

LinzL So glad this was helpful to you! Maybe tanya can give us an update!
                  Blessings,
                  Abigail

Comment

They are here in streaming! But we don't have the dvds yet. It will probably be a month before they are here.

Tanya

Comment

To follow along on this post, we also have been using Fable with our 6th grader and are only on lesson three as we had a late start. We have also noticed there seems to be a discrepancy between the paraphrase 2 content in the printed material and that which is directed in the video lessons. Specifically, the printed material says to use reduction, and the new updated video that we just received references inversion. However, we also read inversion was "too difficult" this early on, and were told that by customer support, which is why the videos were being updated. We really love the fact that the videos are available since this is a new concept for us, however, I am finding it difficult to teach because the curriculum does not seem to align. Is this further going to be corrected? should we just follow the manual?? it seems a bit of a shame because the video really helps us teach the program, but the malalignment causes confusion. Can someone comment on this further??

Comment

Working...
                      X