Placement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement Question

Abigail Johnson I am considering allowing my girls to attend a Classical Catholic hybrid for high school. My youngest is currently in 6th grade, and is doing Narrative with MPOA. Which of the following would you recommend? This child loves composition, if that matters.

7th: Chreia/Maxim
    8th: Ref/Con

7th:Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
    8th: Common Topic

7th:Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
    8th: HS Comp I

If I were to keep her home only one more year and send her in 8th, would your recommendation change?
    DD 17 | 12th
    DS 15 | 9th
    DD 13 | 8th
    2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Hello!
    I am delighted that your child is enjoying composition! First, let me explain about HS I; it is a very quick pace from Fable through Ref/Con, designed for learners who come to the program later and don't have time for the more thorough development of a stage by year pace. So, if your child has already taken the first 6 stages before 8th grade, there is no need to take them again.

I would suggest that your first plan is the best one. Taking time to really get Ref/Con mastered is one of the BEST things middle school students can do. I really recommend the stage by year pace. However, if you keep your student at home only for 7th, please go ahead with the Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con in one year option instead, as getting through Ref/Con is absolutely essential for long-term utility of the program. I call that stage the "King" of Progym.

Blessings,
    Abigail

Comment

Sorry, I meant HS Comp II, but I am glad that is not the way to go. My oldest took that class in 8th grade when that was the only next step, and the paper a week pace was tough. Glad to know Ref/Con is far enough, if I decide to send her. This is perfect. Thank you!!
      DD 17 | 12th
      DS 15 | 9th
      DD 13 | 8th
      2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Working...
      X