New to Classical Composition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Classical Composition

Hello, I have a question regarding Classical Composition. We are an MP family but we have younger kids with our oldest in Kindergarten now. I would like to prepare myself better for when the time comes as I have limited understanding and have had limited exposure to Classical Composition. Some articles that have been of immense help to me so far include the following:

https://www.memoriapress.com/article...ore-exercises/

Introduction to Progymnasmata by James Selby (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...U6rPvQ9DdTjQz1)

Are there other articles or resources that would be of benefit to me in preparation for the Classical Composition years?
    2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
    S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
    D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
    S - 3, the master of disasters

Good Morning!
    That is a great question! It sounds like you are thinking ahead, which is also wonderful. I'm glad you found some resources that were helpful, including The Before Exercises." :-) The best two things to do to prepare for Classical Composition are to be mechanically prepared in English writing and read lots of stories! Because CC is mostly about the skills of narrative, not the writing mechanics, it's best to be sure your student is already well-versed in the basics of sentence construction before being required to used them in addition to adding the narrative skills of CC. The correct spelling of common words, the ability to self-check grammar and punctuation, and simple writing of a paragraph (like, describe what you did today) in reasonable time without being too taxed are excellent markers that your child is ready for CC.
    That being said however, I have also discussed with parents the concept of taking the fable stage and using the narrative skills in it orally with non-writers, which is a fascinating idea that I would love to hear feedback about from anyone who as tried it. As I said, the narrative concepts are the heart of Fable Stage, and it would be easy to incorporate those into reading time, or to include a non-writer into the story discussion with the older writing student.

As far as further preparatory resources go, I would suggest attending a training for Fable at the annual conference and watching the Classical Composition short explanations posted at the bottom of the catalog page. For the video on Fable click here. Finally, if you are ambitious, you can read Quintilian! Much of our context for the skills of the progymnasmata comes from his Institutio Oratoria.

Blessings!
    Abigail Johnson
    MPOA Composition and Literature

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply and helpful suggestions, Abigail Johnson. I very much appreciate it. And thank you also for "The Before Exercises" article, that was very helpful to me.
      Last edited by Beorn; 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM.
      2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail Johnson View Post
        Finally, if you are ambitious, you can read Quintilian! Much of our context for the skills of the progymnasmata comes from his Institutio Oratoria.
        Hi Abigail Johnson, one more question for you. Count me in the ambitious crew. pickandgrin and tanya might vouch for me on that. Is there a specific edition/publication of Quintilian's Institutio Orotoria that you would suggest in the English language?
        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year

Comment

Beorn is working on taking over for me when I retire, Abigail! So treat him well.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Beorn is working on taking over for me when I retire, Abigail! So treat him well.

Tanya
            Ha! O my, I, for one, want Memoria Press to progress forward not regress. Remember, tanya, we want to keep working out all the kinks as my kids are going through the grades. But thanks for the good laugh today.

And you're not "allowed" to retire for a long, long time - if ever. Thankfully your to do list seems to support my view and the view of probably 99.9% of forum users here.

I hope you don't mind my asking you about Quintillian, Abigail Johnson. There are just so many editions and publications of him available online. Though my question does sounds like it would be a hit it out of the park question for Mr. Cothran.
            2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year

Comment

Hi Beorn! I know, Tanya isn't allowed to retire ever! As far as Quintilian goes, I'm always a fan of the old Loeb classics. Easy to go anywhere with you, and then don't you look smart and distinguished! They are the literary tweed jacket and elbow patches. Timeless.
              Happy Reading,
              Abigail

Comment

Slow down everyone! Nashville has dibs on Beorn for upper school science (one day) but I fully support his reading Quintilian for fun. And yes to the little Loebs. I have a baby collection and love them! They are pricey but they have the Latin facing for reference which I like. I own only the first one so far of this set.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2020-2021
                11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post

Tanya
                  Wait...what?
                  Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                  DS (MP2) - 7/8
                  DS (K) - 6
                  DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Just a joke, Melissa! But he is doing a fine job educating himself, and he has drunk our Kool-aid, so you never know!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

Wait...what?
                      Don't worry, MBentley. If you would know me, you would have totally caught on to tanya's joke. Carry on.
                      2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year

Comment

To follow up, I am not sure why I missed it when it was released, but this video was a very helpful overview of Classical Composition in a fairly short video. Thank you, MP and Abigail Johnson.

https://youtu.be/F5BXCE8wFv0
                        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year

Comment

Working...
                        X