Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBentley
    replied
    I remember when I was in public high school, we took AP American History and AP European History in 11th and 12th. Actually...the AP Euro was fantastic. I loved it. Cool teacher. I know that may not line up with a classical program, but they were great courses...apart from the fact that nowhere, anywhere, did we ever truly make it past 1920's in any history class. . It's like at the end of the year, they rant out of time and everyone realized, oh no....we haven't even covered WWII. Maybe they would advance ahead and talk quickly about the Cuban Missile Crisis or some highlights of WWII, with a comment about the Vietnam era. Then they would fly through it in a week or a few days. I feel like the biggest let down of my education is that i had no concrete idea about the history of the time period of my parents and grand parents. And talk about relevant today! Seriously, I knew so little of Vietnam, Korea, Cold War. Most of what I've learned for time periods after 1920 has been by choice because there was a history channel show about it.
    It looks like we study of the works of C.S.Lewis in "Mere Christianity". I wonder if it makes sense to start around his time line, and spend the year moving forward. When you think about all that happened around the entire world between 1900-today, it's easily enough to fill up a year of history. It seems like just before we send them off to college, there needs to be a tie-in to how we came from the the beginning to where we are today for these kids who are moving into adulthood, where they, in essence, begin joining history with the ability to take on full adult rights and responsibilities.
    Of course...I'm currently dealing in K,1st, and 2nd. So there probably is a course embedded in here somewhere. You guys are pretty thorough and I'm so pleased with what you do. These are just my morning coffee thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• generalsparky
    replied
    Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

My rising 11th grader is doing medieval history and this is what I have planned:

History-JM Roberts's A Short History of the World Ch. 7-9 (I use this book as background for whatever era we are studying.)
    The Great Courses Western Civ 1 Lectures (also using this as background and we watch the relevant lectures to the era)

Then to the main books: History of the Franks (Gregory of Tours) and Chronicles of the Crusades (Joinville and Villehardouin)

Late term or Summer reading is always a volume of Churchill and he will be on A History of the English-Speaking Peoples Volume III.

I have a real hard time finding textbooks I like for high school history so we have been going with Great books that fit the different eras: selections from Herodotus (Greek), Plutarch (Greek and Roman), and selected books from Livy (Roman) along with the relevant chapters from A Short History of the World and some Great Courses.

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Thank you!

ETA: snagged a decent used copy for $7 including shipping!
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 04-17-2018, 09:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

It's the same text Scott is using online: https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/...dieval-history

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

[QUOTE=tanya;70160
    I think that doing a year of the Middle Ages and then AP European history would be great. Are you thinking of the online Middle Ages course? I was going to get a study guide written for the Hollister text this summer, but it has gone out of print, and I can't get a reprint from McGraw-Hill. I'm really bummed about it, but they aren't moving with any compassion toward my plight. I can't find another Medieval text that we think compares favorably to Hollister.

Tanya[/QUOTE]

Can you provide an isbn on this one so we can hunt for it used? Even without a guide, I'd like it as a resource.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• kikirev3
    replied

Hi Tanya!

No worries at all about the timing, I knew that you would be busy at the Midwest convention! Yes, I was thinking that he would just take the Medieval course with MPOA and then do AP European the following year. He is already looking forward to it

I hope the book issue can be resolved, that must be frustrating! Your efforts are appreciated

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hi, Ally.

Sorry for the delay! I have been to the Cincinnati convention, hanging with lots of fun homeschoolers, and I am just now working my way down the forum. You have waited the longest for a response from me, and for that I am sorry!

I think that doing a year of the Middle Ages and then AP European history would be great. Are you thinking of the online Middle Ages course? I was going to get a study guide written for the Hollister text this summer, but it has gone out of print, and I can't get a reprint from McGraw-Hill. I'm really bummed about it, but they aren't moving with any compassion toward my plight. I can't find another Medieval text that we think compares favorably to Hollister.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• kikirev3
    replied

Tanya,

My son will be doing his second year of the U.S. history next year. He definitely wants to do a year of both European and Middle Ages as well as an AP year. If he took the Middle Ages for one year, could he then just do the AP European with MPOA instead of the single year Modern Europe study? I know these things are still being worked out. Just trying to map ahead as much as possible!

Thanks so much :-)

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

We don't actually have a government class developed yet. It's on the list, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen or what it's going to look like.

Sorry I can't help you right now!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• GeorgiaMom
    replied

Thinking along with the American History work, will you be making the American govt and civics material available to homeschoolers as well? The MPOA budget will be blown on Math and Science in high school, so everything else is on me!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

The American history will be the same text, completed in one year. Basically, we just have to skip some stuff, and I'm relying on our teachers to tell me what they skip. Hopefully, I'll get a good idea about this when they start working this summer. But we're going to continue offering the 2-year plans for those who need them and prefer a slower pace. It's what we did at HLS for years, and it worked out just fine. There isn't one right way. This is just another way we can offer flexibility.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• kikirev3
    replied

I am curious about that as well! My son is in the first year of the U.S. History, so when I read that I thought he could finish the 2nd year next year and then do the 1 year of European history and the 1 year of the Middle Ages.

And a thank you to Tanya as well. My husband and I are so thankful that Memoria Press has such remarkable customer service and is incredibly responsive and supportive to homeschoolers. That is such a blessing to us and has always been our experience!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Tanya,
    Can you speak to the U.S. History course being condensed into one year? Is that the same book but not going as deep? My oldest starts that next year and I'd love to get ahead of the game on sequence to leave room for the extra years you all would prefer long term.

Also in play, he's a rising 9A. If you have four years of high school two years of U.S. History would still leave room for one year European, and one year Middle Ages.

If you could snap fingers and it be so right now, what would the four years of high school cover in this area?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

We will be using the same texts, which is expensive, but they were Cheryl's first choice.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• MyLittleWonders
    replied

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Well, you really can't go totally by the HLS chart either. It is also a work in progress. We are currently trying to move to a one-year American history, one-year European history, and one year of the Middle Ages. That transition is slow for us because some of our students are in the middle of the old sequence. And another problem I am having is that Hollister's Medieval Europe is out of print. So I don't really know what is going to happen there. I do have one of our teachers coming to work for us this summer to develop the European history course into a one-year course, so that will be good. The only thing I can think of that HLS does that I don't plan to do at MP is Metaphysics. I feel like it is so difficult for our students, and we haven't really developed the course well yet, that we can skip that one for now and still have a stellar education.

Sorry I don't have a black and white answer for you at this time. Our high school continues to evolve.

Tanya
    Will the one year European history course still use the History of Europe in the Modern World book(s)? Or are you moving to a different text?

And I echo all the others saying thank you for all your hard work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X