• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyLittleWonders
    replied
    Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Well, you really can't go totally by the HLS chart either. It is also a work in progress. We are currently trying to move to a one-year American history, one-year European history, and one year of the Middle Ages. That transition is slow for us because some of our students are in the middle of the old sequence. And another problem I am having is that Hollister's Medieval Europe is out of print. So I don't really know what is going to happen there. I do have one of our teachers coming to work for us this summer to develop the European history course into a one-year course, so that will be good. The only thing I can think of that HLS does that I don't plan to do at MP is Metaphysics. I feel like it is so difficult for our students, and we haven't really developed the course well yet, that we can skip that one for now and still have a stellar education.

Sorry I don't have a black and white answer for you at this time. Our high school continues to evolve.

Tanya
    Will the one year European history course still use the History of Europe in the Modern World book(s)? Or are you moving to a different text?

And I echo all the others saying thank you for all your hard work.

Leave a comment:

• serendipitous journey
    replied

That is so helpful. I'm glad to know about the metaphysics course; I can see that it would be very hard to package for general use.

a big thank you, and a <hug> from this grateful mama!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Well, you really can't go totally by the HLS chart either. It is also a work in progress. We are currently trying to move to a one-year American history, one-year European history, and one year of the Middle Ages. That transition is slow for us because some of our students are in the middle of the old sequence. And another problem I am having is that Hollister's Medieval Europe is out of print. So I don't really know what is going to happen there. I do have one of our teachers coming to work for us this summer to develop the European history course into a one-year course, so that will be good. The only thing I can think of that HLS does that I don't plan to do at MP is Metaphysics. I feel like it is so difficult for our students, and we haven't really developed the course well yet, that we can skip that one for now and still have a stellar education.

Sorry I don't have a black and white answer for you at this time. Our high school continues to evolve.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• serendipitous journey
    replied

Thanks, Tanya! I feel like I'm just missing something obvious. I think what is confusing me is that the Hollister & Divine Comedy seem to be listed as 11th in the HLS chart; so if they are 11th on the main curriculum too, has a year been moved (or removed) somewhere between 7th and 11th? That is where I could pull out my catalog and see how things line up.

The other bit was the classical work to to with Hollister & Dante, which in the chart would have been Aristotle, Cicero's On the Nature of Gods, Copleston & Aquinas. The HLS chart has Cicero's On Duties etcetera and the Augustine in the 10th grade year. That makes sense if the sequence is shifted one year, but then it would line up with British Literature and American History.

I do know things can be moved around for the students, and am very grateful for your help in understanding what the sequence is for the different formats (HLS, homeschool, accelerated). It is great, for planning, to be able to use the streams to put together something that makes sense as an integrated year of study and for the particular student: I could never do this on my own!

thanks also for Cindy's chart -- that is very helpful!

ETA: Oh, I think I now understand what you are saying about the HLS curriculum also being something you continually work to improve. I think I can figure out what I need to from what you've given me. many thanks!
    Last edited by serendipitous journey; 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Ana,

It is a fairly straightforward line-up with HLS being accelerated a year except for math. And even there, HLS has a couple of math tracks. There is an easier track for those students who struggle with math and a more difficult track for those students who want to do AP Physics. So even at HLS, we are offering options in high school. But HLS high school is a work in progress too. As the high school grows and develops, we have modified the curriculum slightly. We are working toward a final curriculum that will stick in place, but we aren't totally there yet. And for the homeschooler, we don't have all the guides written yet, so that is a work in progress too.

Cindy Davis did a great chart for the homeschooler for math and science options. I'll post it here for you. This gives a couple of options for these courses based on your students' ability and interests. And I think it's a good representative of how high school is more complicated than grammar school, where we say, "do this!"

Tanya
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• serendipitous journey
    replied

okay ... I was looking at Tanya's suggested year above, and at the HLS plan from the other thread, and my brain melted down. Before I print everything out, grab my MP catalog with the scope & sequence pages, and go to town with scissors and tape to make things line up for me I thought I'd ask here:

Does the MP homeschool plan line up, in some straightforward way, with the HLS plan?
    Also, will the accelerated track continue to be, essentially, a year accelerated except in math?

Tanya, I appreciate your point about high school being more customized. It is great to be able to squinch things around to make good sense for each family & student.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Cicero and City of God could be added to this 11th grade year. It would mean that Dante would just be your literature. The other option, if you want fewer courses this year, would be to use Dante for literature, classical, & Christian. Then, in 12th grade, you could do Cicero & City of God or Art & Architecture, assuming we finally get it released! I really feel like high school lends itself to more customization than grammar school, so you have lots of options (once we get all the courses developed). By high school, we have already done so much more than the majority of students heading to college, that a lot of this stuff is gravy. How many students have read all of Homer, Vergil, and Dante before going to college? So if you don't get to Cicero or Augustine, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Your students are going to be better educated than most of their college classmates. My son took an Iliad and Odyssey class in college, and he was the only one in his class who had read it prior to that class (and he didn't tell them that he read it in the 7th grade).

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• serendipitous journey
    replied

Eleventh grade looks like this:

Classical: This was going to be Hollister's Medieval Europe, but I have just found out this week that it is out of print. I'm trying to get McGraw Hill to let me buy a reprint, but they aren't cooperating at this point. I'm also exploring a replacement.

Literature: Divine Comedy (All year!) This could serve as Classical and Literature if you need to free up some time.

Language Arts: Classical Composition Description (1 semester) and Classical Rhetoric (1 semester)

Science: General Chemistry Novare

Math: Pre-Calculus (I have no help for you!)

Latin: Henle III & Cicero's First Catilinarian Text (Steadman)

This doesn't look too overwhelming, does it?

Tanya
    Tanya, that's so helpful! And you are right: not too overwhelming. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied

I thought the Classical Studies included in 11th grade core might correspond to the Classical Studies III class in MPOA (Cicero Obligations & Republic & City of God). Any chance of going with that for Classical Studies?

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied

That's the 11th edition, and it is out of print. I have gone all around the world with McGraw Hill. We try to order it, and they say they have no inventory and it's out of print. Then, we went to the Permissions Dept. and they said they couldn't give us permission to reprint because it is in print. Then, we went back to the Order Dept. with the same result, back to the Permissions Dept., and round and round I go. Finally, they have told me that they won't reprint it and won't give me permission to reprint. I think if you try to order the one on Amazon, it says they have 11 new ones, but when you click on that, there is only 1 available directly as an Amazon Prime purchase. That is like gold right now, right?

Tanya
    hmmm...you would think they would tell you if they had a new edition coming. Doesn't sound promising for fall unfortunately. Will City of God be included in any of the cores?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

That's the 11th edition, and it is out of print. I have gone all around the world with McGraw Hill. We try to order it, and they say they have no inventory and it's out of print. Then, we went to the Permissions Dept. and they said they couldn't give us permission to reprint because it is in print. Then, we went back to the Order Dept. with the same result, back to the Permissions Dept., and round and round I go. Finally, they have told me that they won't reprint it and won't give me permission to reprint. I think if you try to order the one on Amazon, it says they have 11 new ones, but when you click on that, there is only 1 available directly as an Amazon Prime purchase. That is like gold right now, right?

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied

Classical: This was going to be Hollister's Medieval Europe, but I have just found out this week that it is out of print. I'm trying to get McGraw Hill to let me buy a reprint, but they aren't cooperating at this point. I'm also exploring a replacement.

Literature: Divine Comedy (All year!) This could serve as Classical and Literature if you need to free up some time.

Language Arts: Classical Composition Description (1 semester) and Classical Rhetoric (1 semester)

Tanya
    Tanya,

When I looked up hollister medieval Europe on Amazon it said there was a newer edition. The lady that was showing up as an editor on the previous editions after holister's name is now listed as the author. It is still available on Amazon with prime shipping - is that the edition that is out of print or just the older ones?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Lisainjax
    replied

Thank you! I've already graduated two kids so far and would have sent them off to college by the time they've hit the higher level things. It's great that you all go much farther than most schools do. My older two went off to college after Algebra II for my oldest and PreCal for my second. They did quite well in college for those subjects. They did do more science though. Both finished most high school level sciences before college. We used IEW for writing and they did extremely well in the English/Humanities. Anyway, I'm excited to see what you all have planned.

Blessings,
    LIsa

Leave a comment:

• serendipitous journey
    replied

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
    This thread has the Highlands Latin School Upper School Curriculum laid out. It will give you an idea of what they are trying to match with the Core Curricula for each grade, except that Highlands 8th grade would be 8A, 9M.
    https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...7th-12th-chart
    Well, you are a wonder! thanks so much!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X