Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

Ana,

It is a fairly straightforward line-up with HLS being accelerated a year except for math. And even there, HLS has a couple of math tracks. There is an easier track for those students who struggle with math and a more difficult track for those students who want to do AP Physics. So even at HLS, we are offering options in high school. But HLS high school is a work in progress too. As the high school grows and develops, we have modified the curriculum slightly. We are working toward a final curriculum that will stick in place, but we aren't totally there yet. And for the homeschooler, we don't have all the guides written yet, so that is a work in progress too.

Cindy Davis did a great chart for the homeschooler for math and science options. I'll post it here for you. This gives a couple of options for these courses based on your students' ability and interests. And I think it's a good representative of how high school is more complicated than grammar school, where we say, "do this!"

Tanya
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Tanya! I feel like I'm just missing something obvious. I think what is confusing me is that the Hollister & Divine Comedy seem to be listed as 11th in the HLS chart; so if they are 11th on the main curriculum too, has a year been moved (or removed) somewhere between 7th and 11th? That is where I could pull out my catalog and see how things line up.

The other bit was the classical work to to with Hollister & Dante, which in the chart would have been Aristotle, Cicero's On the Nature of Gods, Copleston & Aquinas. The HLS chart has Cicero's On Duties etcetera and the Augustine in the 10th grade year. That makes sense if the sequence is shifted one year, but then it would line up with British Literature and American History.

I do know things can be moved around for the students, and am very grateful for your help in understanding what the sequence is for the different formats (HLS, homeschool, accelerated). It is great, for planning, to be able to use the streams to put together something that makes sense as an integrated year of study and for the particular student: I could never do this on my own!

thanks also for Cindy's chart -- that is very helpful!

ETA: Oh, I think I now understand what you are saying about the HLS curriculum also being something you continually work to improve. I think I can figure out what I need to from what you've given me. many thanks!
      Last edited by serendipitous journey; 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM.
      Ana, mama to
      ds A, 7A
      ds N, 3A

Comment

Well, you really can't go totally by the HLS chart either. It is also a work in progress. We are currently trying to move to a one-year American history, one-year European history, and one year of the Middle Ages. That transition is slow for us because some of our students are in the middle of the old sequence. And another problem I am having is that Hollister's Medieval Europe is out of print. So I don't really know what is going to happen there. I do have one of our teachers coming to work for us this summer to develop the European history course into a one-year course, so that will be good. The only thing I can think of that HLS does that I don't plan to do at MP is Metaphysics. I feel like it is so difficult for our students, and we haven't really developed the course well yet, that we can skip that one for now and still have a stellar education.

Sorry I don't have a black and white answer for you at this time. Our high school continues to evolve.

Tanya

Comment

That is so helpful. I'm glad to know about the metaphysics course; I can see that it would be very hard to package for general use.

a big thank you, and a <hug> from this grateful mama!
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 7A
          ds N, 3A

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Well, you really can't go totally by the HLS chart either. It is also a work in progress. We are currently trying to move to a one-year American history, one-year European history, and one year of the Middle Ages. That transition is slow for us because some of our students are in the middle of the old sequence. And another problem I am having is that Hollister's Medieval Europe is out of print. So I don't really know what is going to happen there. I do have one of our teachers coming to work for us this summer to develop the European history course into a one-year course, so that will be good. The only thing I can think of that HLS does that I don't plan to do at MP is Metaphysics. I feel like it is so difficult for our students, and we haven't really developed the course well yet, that we can skip that one for now and still have a stellar education.

Sorry I don't have a black and white answer for you at this time. Our high school continues to evolve.

Tanya
            Will the one year European history course still use the History of Europe in the Modern World book(s)? Or are you moving to a different text?

And I echo all the others saying thank you for all your hard work.
            Brit

Catholic mom to five
            Prospective 2019-2020:
            Ds '01 - Freshman at Thomas Aquinas College
            Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA (SFL, biology, Algebra 2), MP 10M lit, US history, and MoDG religion
            Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, FFL, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
            Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with SC C adaptations
            Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

We will be using the same texts, which is expensive, but they were Cheryl's first choice.

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
                Can you speak to the U.S. History course being condensed into one year? Is that the same book but not going as deep? My oldest starts that next year and I'd love to get ahead of the game on sequence to leave room for the extra years you all would prefer long term.

Also in play, he's a rising 9A. If you have four years of high school two years of U.S. History would still leave room for one year European, and one year Middle Ages.

If you could snap fingers and it be so right now, what would the four years of high school cover in this area?
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                D · 8th
                D · 5th
                S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I am curious about that as well! My son is in the first year of the U.S. History, so when I read that I thought he could finish the 2nd year next year and then do the 1 year of European history and the 1 year of the Middle Ages.

And a thank you to Tanya as well. My husband and I are so thankful that Memoria Press has such remarkable customer service and is incredibly responsive and supportive to homeschoolers. That is such a blessing to us and has always been our experience!
                  Ally

Evan: MP 10th grade, MPOA-4FL, HSComp II, Material Logic, American Gov’t
                  Rachel: MP 9th grade, MPOA-3FL, Trad Logic I & II
                  Katie: MP 8th grade, BF American history

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Comment

Hello.

The American history will be the same text, completed in one year. Basically, we just have to skip some stuff, and I'm relying on our teachers to tell me what they skip. Hopefully, I'll get a good idea about this when they start working this summer. But we're going to continue offering the 2-year plans for those who need them and prefer a slower pace. It's what we did at HLS for years, and it worked out just fine. There isn't one right way. This is just another way we can offer flexibility.

Tanya

Comment

Thinking along with the American History work, will you be making the American govt and civics material available to homeschoolers as well? The MPOA budget will be blown on Math and Science in high school, so everything else is on me!
                      Tracy
                      My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
                      MP rising 6A, 5A, and MPK

Comment

We don't actually have a government class developed yet. It's on the list, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen or what it's going to look like.

Sorry I can't help you right now!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

My son will be doing his second year of the U.S. history next year. He definitely wants to do a year of both European and Middle Ages as well as an AP year. If he took the Middle Ages for one year, could he then just do the AP European with MPOA instead of the single year Modern Europe study? I know these things are still being worked out. Just trying to map ahead as much as possible!

Thanks so much :-)
                          Ally

Comment

Hi, Ally.

Sorry for the delay! I have been to the Cincinnati convention, hanging with lots of fun homeschoolers, and I am just now working my way down the forum. You have waited the longest for a response from me, and for that I am sorry!

I think that doing a year of the Middle Ages and then AP European history would be great. Are you thinking of the online Middle Ages course? I was going to get a study guide written for the Hollister text this summer, but it has gone out of print, and I can't get a reprint from McGraw-Hill. I'm really bummed about it, but they aren't moving with any compassion toward my plight. I can't find another Medieval text that we think compares favorably to Hollister.

Tanya

Comment

Hi Tanya!

No worries at all about the timing, I knew that you would be busy at the Midwest convention! Yes, I was thinking that he would just take the Medieval course with MPOA and then do AP European the following year. He is already looking forward to it

I hope the book issue can be resolved, that must be frustrating! Your efforts are appreciated
                              Ally

Comment

[QUOTE=tanya;70160
                                I think that doing a year of the Middle Ages and then AP European history would be great. Are you thinking of the online Middle Ages course? I was going to get a study guide written for the Hollister text this summer, but it has gone out of print, and I can't get a reprint from McGraw-Hill. I'm really bummed about it, but they aren't moving with any compassion toward my plight. I can't find another Medieval text that we think compares favorably to Hollister.

Tanya[/QUOTE]

Can you provide an isbn on this one so we can hunt for it used? Even without a guide, I'd like it as a resource.
                                Thanks!
                                Festina lentē,
                                Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                                @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                                S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                                D · 8th
                                D · 5th
                                S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...