Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

    I notice that MP doesn't have any packages for 11th and 12th grade. Is that because MP considers a child who has gone through all levels up to 10th ready for college levels studies or is MP planning on coming out with two more grades in the future?

    I'm just wondering. I noticed that the last two levels are quite challenging, so I could see a child who finishes these ready for college.

    Blessings,
    Lisa
    Lisa in Jax
    Mom to:
    Allison (26 graduated from homeschool)
    Jonathan (24 graduated from homeschool)
    Genevieve (15 using MP 7th)
    Isaac (13 using MP first time 4th)
    Sophia (11 using MP 3rd grade)
    David (8 using MP 1st grade)
    Charlotte (6 using MPK)

    #2
    Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

    Last I heard, they were hoping to release 11th grade in February or so. They are trying to release 1 each year.
    Kristin

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

      Hello.

      We are trying to release one grade a year, but we are behind. We are currently working on 11th grade. These high school years are more difficult because it is hard to transfer what we do in the classroom with teachers who are expert in their fields to the homeschool setting. I'm thinking lots more teaching dvds!

      Math and science are particularly difficult.

      Tanya

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

        Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Hello.

        We are trying to release one grade a year, but we are behind. We are currently working on 11th grade. These high school years are more difficult because it is hard to transfer what we do in the classroom with teachers who are expert in their fields to the homeschool setting. I'm thinking lots more teaching dvds!

        Math and science are particularly difficult.

        Tanya
        Tanya, thanks for the work y'all are doing on this!

        Just wondering -- in advance of issuing the full curricula for the upper two years (or three, I suppose, if one goes through 12A?) would it be possible to have a list of the books/topics studied? I'm imagining a list of the original works studied in Classical and Christian Studies even if there are not teaching supports available for them; history eras if not texts (maybe "Europe and America in the Modern Age" or something); math and science topics ("Pre-Calc", "Chemistry"); and maybe composition level. That would let us plan to teach what we can ourselves, and outsource or find support materials for the other stuff.

        Maybe that already exists somewhere? I couldn't easily find it, though.

        thank you again, so many times, for this labor!
        Ana, mama to
        ds A, 13yo
        ds N, 8yo

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

          Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
          Tanya, thanks for the work y'all are doing on this!

          Just wondering -- in advance of issuing the full curricula for the upper two years (or three, I suppose, if one goes through 12A?) would it be possible to have a list of the books/topics studied? I'm imagining a list of the original works studied in Classical and Christian Studies even if there are not teaching supports available for them; history eras if not texts (maybe "Europe and America in the Modern Age" or something); math and science topics ("Pre-Calc", "Chemistry"); and maybe composition level. That would let us plan to teach what we can ourselves, and outsource or find support materials for the other stuff.

          Maybe that already exists somewhere? I couldn't easily find it, though.

          thank you again, so many times, for this labor!
          This thread has the Highlands Latin School Upper School Curriculum laid out. It will give you an idea of what they are trying to match with the Core Curricula for each grade, except that Highlands 8th grade would be 8A, 9M.
          https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...7th-12th-chart

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

            Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
            This thread has the Highlands Latin School Upper School Curriculum laid out. It will give you an idea of what they are trying to match with the Core Curricula for each grade, except that Highlands 8th grade would be 8A, 9M.
            https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...7th-12th-chart
            Well, you are a wonder! thanks so much!
            Ana, mama to
            ds A, 13yo
            ds N, 8yo

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

              Thank you! I've already graduated two kids so far and would have sent them off to college by the time they've hit the higher level things. It's great that you all go much farther than most schools do. My older two went off to college after Algebra II for my oldest and PreCal for my second. They did quite well in college for those subjects. They did do more science though. Both finished most high school level sciences before college. We used IEW for writing and they did extremely well in the English/Humanities. Anyway, I'm excited to see what you all have planned.

              Blessings,
              LIsa
              Lisa in Jax
              Mom to:
              Allison (26 graduated from homeschool)
              Jonathan (24 graduated from homeschool)
              Genevieve (15 using MP 7th)
              Isaac (13 using MP first time 4th)
              Sophia (11 using MP 3rd grade)
              David (8 using MP 1st grade)
              Charlotte (6 using MPK)

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                Eleventh grade looks like this:

                Classical: This was going to be Hollister's Medieval Europe, but I have just found out this week that it is out of print. I'm trying to get McGraw Hill to let me buy a reprint, but they aren't cooperating at this point. I'm also exploring a replacement.

                Literature: Divine Comedy (All year!) This could serve as Classical and Literature if you need to free up some time.

                Language Arts: Classical Composition Description (1 semester) and Classical Rhetoric (1 semester)

                Science: General Chemistry Novare

                Math: Pre-Calculus (I have no help for you!)

                Latin: Henle III & Cicero's First Catilinarian Text (Steadman)

                This doesn't look too overwhelming, does it?

                Tanya

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                  Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  Eleventh grade looks like this:

                  Classical: This was going to be Hollister's Medieval Europe, but I have just found out this week that it is out of print. I'm trying to get McGraw Hill to let me buy a reprint, but they aren't cooperating at this point. I'm also exploring a replacement.

                  Literature: Divine Comedy (All year!) This could serve as Classical and Literature if you need to free up some time.

                  Language Arts: Classical Composition Description (1 semester) and Classical Rhetoric (1 semester)

                  Science: General Chemistry Novare

                  Math: Pre-Calculus (I have no help for you!)

                  Latin: Henle III & Cicero's First Catilinarian Text (Steadman)

                  This doesn't look too overwhelming, does it?

                  Tanya
                  Tanya,

                  When I looked up hollister medieval Europe on Amazon it said there was a newer edition. The lady that was showing up as an editor on the previous editions after holister's name is now listed as the author. It is still available on Amazon with prime shipping - is that the edition that is out of print or just the older ones?
                  Dorinda

                  For 2019-2020
                  DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                  DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                  DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                  DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                    That's the 11th edition, and it is out of print. I have gone all around the world with McGraw Hill. We try to order it, and they say they have no inventory and it's out of print. Then, we went to the Permissions Dept. and they said they couldn't give us permission to reprint because it is in print. Then, we went back to the Order Dept. with the same result, back to the Permissions Dept., and round and round I go. Finally, they have told me that they won't reprint it and won't give me permission to reprint. I think if you try to order the one on Amazon, it says they have 11 new ones, but when you click on that, there is only 1 available directly as an Amazon Prime purchase. That is like gold right now, right?

                    Tanya

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                      Originally posted by tanya View Post
                      That's the 11th edition, and it is out of print. I have gone all around the world with McGraw Hill. We try to order it, and they say they have no inventory and it's out of print. Then, we went to the Permissions Dept. and they said they couldn't give us permission to reprint because it is in print. Then, we went back to the Order Dept. with the same result, back to the Permissions Dept., and round and round I go. Finally, they have told me that they won't reprint it and won't give me permission to reprint. I think if you try to order the one on Amazon, it says they have 11 new ones, but when you click on that, there is only 1 available directly as an Amazon Prime purchase. That is like gold right now, right?

                      Tanya
                      hmmm...you would think they would tell you if they had a new edition coming. Doesn't sound promising for fall unfortunately. Will City of God be included in any of the cores?
                      Dorinda

                      For 2019-2020
                      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                        I thought the Classical Studies included in 11th grade core might correspond to the Classical Studies III class in MPOA (Cicero Obligations & Republic & City of God). Any chance of going with that for Classical Studies?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                          Originally posted by tanya View Post
                          Eleventh grade looks like this:

                          Classical: This was going to be Hollister's Medieval Europe, but I have just found out this week that it is out of print. I'm trying to get McGraw Hill to let me buy a reprint, but they aren't cooperating at this point. I'm also exploring a replacement.

                          Literature: Divine Comedy (All year!) This could serve as Classical and Literature if you need to free up some time.

                          Language Arts: Classical Composition Description (1 semester) and Classical Rhetoric (1 semester)

                          Science: General Chemistry Novare

                          Math: Pre-Calculus (I have no help for you!)

                          Latin: Henle III & Cicero's First Catilinarian Text (Steadman)

                          This doesn't look too overwhelming, does it?

                          Tanya
                          Tanya, that's so helpful! And you are right: not too overwhelming. Thank you!
                          Ana, mama to
                          ds A, 13yo
                          ds N, 8yo

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                            Cicero and City of God could be added to this 11th grade year. It would mean that Dante would just be your literature. The other option, if you want fewer courses this year, would be to use Dante for literature, classical, & Christian. Then, in 12th grade, you could do Cicero & City of God or Art & Architecture, assuming we finally get it released! I really feel like high school lends itself to more customization than grammar school, so you have lots of options (once we get all the courses developed). By high school, we have already done so much more than the majority of students heading to college, that a lot of this stuff is gravy. How many students have read all of Homer, Vergil, and Dante before going to college? So if you don't get to Cicero or Augustine, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Your students are going to be better educated than most of their college classmates. My son took an Iliad and Odyssey class in college, and he was the only one in his class who had read it prior to that class (and he didn't tell them that he read it in the 7th grade).

                            Tanya

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Will MP come out with 11 and 12?

                              okay ... I was looking at Tanya's suggested year above, and at the HLS plan from the other thread, and my brain melted down. Before I print everything out, grab my MP catalog with the scope & sequence pages, and go to town with scissors and tape to make things line up for me I thought I'd ask here:

                              Does the MP homeschool plan line up, in some straightforward way, with the HLS plan?
                              Also, will the accelerated track continue to be, essentially, a year accelerated except in math?

                              Tanya, I appreciate your point about high school being more customized. It is great to be able to squinch things around to make good sense for each family & student.
                              Ana, mama to
                              ds A, 13yo
                              ds N, 8yo

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X