Math Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Choices

Hi everyone! I am a ways off from high school with my two daughters, but I find myself being kept up at night with math curriculum **sigh** My 6th grader LOVES Math Mammoth, is very math oriented, artistic, and conceptual. She can remember past concepts taught, so mastery programs make her a little bored. We will finish with the last book in the series - Book 7 Pre-Algebra - about halfway through 8th grade. Then what? Should we begin Algebra 1? How do you like MP's choice for Algebra? It is hard for me to find a lot of reviews on it, so I would love your help!

My 4th grader does Math Mammoth as well, but forgets a lot between chapters. I am looking at CLE or Rod and Staff for her. I ordered both and we will look at it together. She is good at math once she understands it, but getting there and retaining it is half our battle. With that being said, I wonder if she would do better finishing CLE through 800 or Rod and Staff through book 8 before moving on to Algebra. She does have a very out of the box way of understanding and memorizing things, but math just isn't sticking.

Thank you for entertaining this worry warts concerns! I appreciate all you advice!

Beth
    Beth
    DD12 - 7M
    DD10 - 5M

"When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Re: Math Choices

Originally posted by home4good View Post
    Hi everyone! I am a ways off from high school with my two daughters, but I find myself being kept up at night with math curriculum **sigh** My 6th grader LOVES Math Mammoth, is very math oriented, artistic, and conceptual. She can remember past concepts taught, so mastery programs make her a little bored. We will finish with the last book in the series - Book 7 Pre-Algebra - about halfway through 8th grade. Then what? Should we begin Algebra 1? How do you like MP's choice for Algebra? It is hard for me to find a lot of reviews on it, so I would love your help!

My 4th grader does Math Mammoth as well, but forgets a lot between chapters. I am looking at CLE or Rod and Staff for her. I ordered both and we will look at it together. She is good at math once she understands it, but getting there and retaining it is half our battle. With that being said, I wonder if she would do better finishing CLE through 800 or Rod and Staff through book 8 before moving on to Algebra. She does have a very out of the box way of understanding and memorizing things, but math just isn't sticking.

Thank you for entertaining this worry warts concerns! I appreciate all you advice!

Beth
    Really, don't worry until you get there. MP's Algebra is a good choice for a Math Mammoth kid. We did Singapore/ Math Mammoth, Derek Owens for PreA and Foerster for Algebra. I have/ like the MP Algebra book, too, and we used it as our back up for "other explanations". What might work best for your kiddo now may not be the best fit for the same kid later. We tried Jacobs for geometry, but settled on Holt 2007. I would have seriously considered MP's very good geometry book, but videos aren't ready for it yet, but they will be when you need it. We're also out of order compared to MP, which does Algebra 2 first.
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

You will find that many -- most! -- people here have used the MP Algebra with good success, and we ourselves used it for about 2 or 3 months. My child really, really did not like it; and I find that it has a very similar "feel" to Rod & Staff, in terms of incremental teaching and problems that are to be solved with a particular method (as a rule).

I know that your child will not need the PreAlgebra, but one inexpensive way to test the waters might be to do some of the Redwoods PreAlgebra book, which is available free online. It is very different to the Algebra book in layout &c, but is consistent with the math teaching that leads into the MP Algebra book.

The Foerster book gets consistently high reviews, and in that way does seem more sure-fire than the MP book in general; but for those who have great success with MP-style curriculum, their algebra flows nicely.

OTOH: the MP Algebra book served us very well for building great habits in working: showing work, being careful, etcetera. I really, really like the guidelines Cindy put together for teaching it and using it, and I learned a great deal from the MP support materials. Our time with it was very well spent. If you are on the fence, perhaps begin the MP Algebra and continue unless there is a problem?
      Last edited by serendipitous journey; 10-27-2017, 07:44 PM.
      Ana, mama to
      ds A, 14 yo
      ds N, 9 yo

Comment

We have used Prentice Hall Algebra l and Algebra ll, and found them to be very solid. I am using College of the Redwoods pre-Algebra for the first time with my grade 7 student, and again, we are finding it to be a very thorough and solid book. Both of my students are doing well in math overall. I understand the part of not finding a lot of reviews out there on these books; I ran into the same problem. I just decided to go for it (based on MP's overall good track record on other things), and we are very glad. Good luck.
        Ora et labora,
        Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

You might want to look on Amazon for an older edition of the algebra book that MP uses. The text has not changed significantly in a long time. I think it is a good choice, but I did let my daughter pick between that book and Foerster. I think the MP text is better if you expect your daughter to teach herself. Foerster really needs someone to do a bit more explanation of the topics. We ended up using Foerster in large part because MP did not yet have video lessons for their text and my daughter didn't want to have to wait around for a lesson. You might want to watch any MP algebra lecture samples with your daughter. If you can afford it, I think video lessons are a big help. It is nice that the MP book is scheduled in the lesson plans if you use them. Math without borders also has video lecture samples for the Foerster book and recommends math mammoth for pre-algebra. I think holding both books in your hand is very helpful for deciding. It really is a personal preference.
          Dorinda

For 2020-2021
          DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
          DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
          DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
          DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
            Really, don't worry until you get there. MP's Algebra is a good choice for a Math Mammoth kid. We did Singapore/ Math Mammoth, Derek Owens for PreA and Foerster for Algebra. I have/ like the MP Algebra book, too, and we used it as our back up for "other explanations". What might work best for your kiddo now may not be the best fit for the same kid later. We tried Jacobs for geometry, but settled on Holt 2007. I would have seriously considered MP's very good geometry book, but videos aren't ready for it yet, but they will be when you need it. We're also out of order compared to MP, which does Algebra 2 first.
            Thank you so much for your input!

Beth
            Beth
            DD12 - 7M
            DD10 - 5M

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
              You will find that many -- most! -- people here have used the MP Algebra with good success, and we ourselves used it for about 2 or 3 months. My child really, really did not like it; and I find that it has a very similar "feel" to Rod & Staff, in terms of incremental teaching and problems that are to be solved with a particular method (as a rule).

I know that your child will not need the PreAlgebra, but one inexpensive way to test the waters might be to do some of the Redwoods PreAlgebra book, which is available free online. It is very different to the Algebra book in layout &c, but is consistent with the math teaching that leads into the MP Algebra book.

The Foerster book gets consistently high reviews, and in that way does seem more sure-fire than the MP book in general; but for those who have great success with MP-style curriculum, their algebra flows nicely.

OTOH: the MP Algebra book served us very well for building great habits in working: showing work, being careful, etcetera. I really, really like the guidelines Cindy put together for teaching it and using it, and I learned a great deal from the MP support materials. Our time with it was very well spent. If you are on the fence, perhaps begin the MP Algebra and continue unless there is a problem?
              Thank you so much! I appreciate all your input very much!

Beth
              Beth
              DD12 - 7M
              DD10 - 5M

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by chapulina View Post
                We have used Prentice Hall Algebra l and Algebra ll, and found them to be very solid. I am using College of the Redwoods pre-Algebra for the first time with my grade 7 student, and again, we are finding it to be a very thorough and solid book. Both of my students are doing well in math overall. I understand the part of not finding a lot of reviews out there on these books; I ran into the same problem. I just decided to go for it (based on MP's overall good track record on other things), and we are very glad. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your input on what you have used!

Beth
                Beth
                DD12 - 7M
                DD10 - 5M

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                  You might want to look on Amazon for an older edition of the algebra book that MP uses. The text has not changed significantly in a long time. I think it is a good choice, but I did let my daughter pick between that book and Foerster. I think the MP text is better if you expect your daughter to teach herself. Foerster really needs someone to do a bit more explanation of the topics. We ended up using Foerster in large part because MP did not yet have video lessons for their text and my daughter didn't want to have to wait around for a lesson. You might want to watch any MP algebra lecture samples with your daughter. If you can afford it, I think video lessons are a big help. It is nice that the MP book is scheduled in the lesson plans if you use them. Math without borders also has video lecture samples for the Foerster book and recommends math mammoth for pre-algebra. I think holding both books in your hand is very helpful for deciding. It really is a personal preference.

Thank you so much! I agree about leafing through books before you buy! It helps so much

Beth
                  Beth
                  DD12 - 7M
                  DD10 - 5M

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X