Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Latin Sequence, Course Titles, and Lesson Plans

Sequence:
    In the catalogue, it lists Fourth Form with Henle 1 together. Does this mean that the student does Fourth Form OR Henle 1? So, a student who has completed all Four Forms would go into Henle 2?

Why is Henle 1 broken into two different series? Is it spread out over two years?

Course Titles:
    How would one title the Latin Courses for High School (I have to title them bases on content and not book title)? I'm assuming that Henle 1, 2, etc would be Latin 1, 2, etc. But, what about the Forms? I'm thinking that Fourth Form would equal Latin 1 if one can do it instead of Henle 1, but what if the student does Second or Third Form in high school? What about the special needs student that may only get into the Forms in high school?

What about Mueller's Caesar? Would AP Latin and Virgil be AP Latin?

Lesson Plans:
    Why do the individual lesson plans only go through Fourth Form Latin? I see there are printed versions for Henle 1 and 2. Are there any plans to make those digital?

Why aren't there lesson plans in any form for Henle 3 or 4? Are there plans to make any lesson plans for them in any form (written like 1 and 2 or digital)?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
    ds 25, graduated
    dd 11th Grade
    dd 8th Grade
    ds 6th Grade

Re: Confused about Latin Sequence, Course Titles, and Lesson Plans

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Sequence:
    In the catalogue, it lists Fourth Form with Henle 1 together. Does this mean that the student does Fourth Form OR Henle 1? So, a student who has completed all Four Forms would go into Henle 2?

Why is Henle 1 broken into two different series? Is it spread out over two years?
    Henle I is used as a supplement alongside Fourth Form Latin (a one-year course). This is the final year of the Forms series, and presumes that the student has completed First-Third Form.

Some older students who are new to Latin choose to begin using Henle I. In this case, Henle I would be their primary text and would take two-three years. (We schedule it over two but some take longer.)

Course Titles:
    How would one title the Latin Courses for High School (I have to title them bases on content and not book title)? I'm assuming that Henle 1, 2, etc would be Latin 1, 2, etc. But, what about the Forms? I'm thinking that Fourth Form would equal Latin 1 if one can do it instead of Henle 1, but what if the student does Second or Third Form in high school? What about the special needs student that may only get into the Forms in high school?

What about Mueller's Caesar? Would AP Latin and Virgil be AP Latin?
    Homeschoolers have a lot of flexibility with course titles, and the best title can vary from student to student and situation to situation. If you'd like to email me (michael@memoriapress.com) with some more details about your specific student, we'd be happy to help.

Lesson Plans:
    Why do the individual lesson plans only go through Fourth Form Latin? I see there are printed versions for Henle 1 and 2. Are there any plans to make those digital?

Why aren't there lesson plans in any form for Henle 3 or 4? Are there plans to make any lesson plans for them in any form (written like 1 and 2 or digital)?
    We do not have plans for digital versions of the Henle I Teacher Manuals. These new Teacher Manuals are not like our other lesson plans. They have chalk talk and other additional content. See the sample for the Teacher Manual for Units I-V. (The one for Units VI-XIV will be releasing this winter or spring.) I would love to do something similar for Henle II one day.

We do not plan to lesson plan (no pun intended!) all of Henle III or IV at this time. If we were to incorporate them into our Curriculum Packages, we would at that point, but of course it would be a plan for how they are used in those packages.

HTH, and welcome back to the forum!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Henle I is used as a supplement alongside Fourth Form Latin (a one-year course). This is the final year of the Forms series, and presumes that the student has completed First-Third Form.
      How are they used together? Do they do all of Fourth Form AND all of Henle 1 during the same year? Do you have lesson plans for this?

Homeschoolers have a lot of flexibility with course titles, and the best title can vary from student to student and situation to situation. If you'd like to email me (michael@memoriapress.com) with some more details about your specific student, we'd be happy to help.
      Thank you, I'll email you once I get the above question answered.

We do not have plans for digital versions of the Henle I Teacher Manuals. These new Teacher Manuals are not like our other lesson plans. They have chalk talk and other additional content. See the sample for the Teacher Manual for Units I-V. (The one for Units VI-XIV will be releasing this winter or spring.) I would love to do something similar for Henle II one day.
      So, the lesson plans that you have for Henle II are different than what you are working on for Henle I?

We do not plan to lesson plan (no pun intended!) all of Henle III or IV at this time. If we were to incorporate them into our Curriculum Packages, we would at that point, but of course it would be a plan for how they are used in those packages.

HTH, and welcome back to the forum!
      Hahaha, puns are always welcomed by me even when not intended! Thank you! Our summer was super busy, but I'm hoping to be more regular again now :-)
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
      ds 25, graduated
      dd 11th Grade
      dd 8th Grade
      ds 6th Grade

Comment

How are they used together? Do they do all of Fourth Form AND all of Henle 1 during the same year? Do you have lesson plans for this?
        Henle I is used primarily for its exercises, but for some teaching material as well. It is referred to throughout the Fourth Form Student Text and Workbook. The existing Fourth Form Latin Lesson Plans would be all you need.

So, the lesson plans that you have for Henle II are different than what you are working on for Henle I?
        Right now, yes.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

My son used First through Fourth Form then moved directly into Henle 2. I'd like to clarify because I sense you might not understand Michael's explanation. Henle 1 teaches the Latin grammar from scratch. A high school student usually completes Henle 1 in two years (maybe up to three years) if he had no previous Latin. The Forms also teach the Latin grammar from scratch over a four year (or four book) period. Most of the topics in Henle 1 are taught in First, Second and Third Form but in a different order and with different emphasis. Fourth Form finishes the few missing topics and teaches some things that Henle doesn't get to till Henle 2. In Fourth Form, the student is transitioned from the handholding of First-Third Form to a more translation intense high school level comparable to Henle. Thus MP chose to utilize many exercises from Henle as part of Fourth Form. It is only exercises from the end of the book. You cannot start in Fourth Form. Fourth Form uses Henle 1, but only exercises from the end chapters. A student with no previous Latin needs to start with either First Form or the beginning of Henle 1.
          MP seems to be still developing their high school Latin for homeschoolers. They have all levels in their online academy but do not yet have lesson plans developed. Years ago they made study guides for Henle 1. Those are apparently being upgraded with teacher manuals. They wrote lesson plans for Henle 2 that don't incorporate the Caesar translation section. Then they wrote lesson plans for Mueller Caesar to cover Caesar translation. A strong student with a teacher could do Henle 2 with translation in one year rather than two years of Henle 2 and Mueller. The next step is Henle 3, but so far MP is relying on the online academy for anyone wanting help with that level of Latin. Other schools such as Kolbe Academy do have lesson plans for Henle 3-4. MP recommends skipping Henle 4 in favor of AP Latin.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 21, chemistry major
          DS, 18, Physics major
          DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
          DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
          DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
            My son used First through Fourth Form then moved directly into Henle 2. I'd like to clarify because I sense you might not understand Michael's explanation. Henle 1 teaches the Latin grammar from scratch. A high school student usually completes Henle 1 in two years (maybe up to three years) if he had no previous Latin. The Forms also teach the Latin grammar from scratch over a four year (or four book) period. Most of the topics in Henle 1 are taught in First, Second and Third Form but in a different order and with different emphasis. Fourth Form finishes the few missing topics and teaches some things that Henle doesn't get to till Henle 2. In Fourth Form, the student is transitioned from the handholding of First-Third Form to a more translation intense high school level comparable to Henle. Thus MP chose to utilize many exercises from Henle as part of Fourth Form. It is only exercises from the end of the book. You cannot start in Fourth Form. Fourth Form uses Henle 1, but only exercises from the end chapters. A student with no previous Latin needs to start with either First Form or the beginning of Henle 1.
            MP seems to be still developing their high school Latin for homeschoolers. They have all levels in their online academy but do not yet have lesson plans developed. Years ago they made study guides for Henle 1. Those are apparently being upgraded with teacher manuals. They wrote lesson plans for Henle 2 that don't incorporate the Caesar translation section. Then they wrote lesson plans for Mueller Caesar to cover Caesar translation. A strong student with a teacher could do Henle 2 with translation in one year rather than two years of Henle 2 and Mueller. The next step is Henle 3, but so far MP is relying on the online academy for anyone wanting help with that level of Latin. Other schools such as Kolbe Academy do have lesson plans for Henle 3-4. MP recommends skipping Henle 4 in favor of AP Latin.
            Thank you for this expansion. I was trying to be succinct, but maybe I was too succinct I only want to add that Fourth Form uses exercises from much if not most of Henle I. For example, Exercise 26 is scheduled in Lesson 1 of 4FL. We use Henle for review and new material, not just new material.

Yes, we definitely recommend MPOA for upper-level Latin, but we are working on guides as well. As momgineer said, one can go much farther much faster with a live master teacher, but we know that isn't an option for everyone. Those upper-level guides just take a lot of time to write!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
              Thank you, this is very helpful!!

My students will all go through all the Forms before moving on to Henle. I only started with Fourth Form in my question because that is where the confusion began. Sorry for the confusion!

I appreciate your explanation of Henle II with Caesar! I do see that it is a 1 year course online. I need to decide if I want my daughter to move onto online classes. At least there are lesson plans for each year if I choose not to (or we are unable to) do online classes. But, it seems they will be the easiest option since I haven't been able to keep up with her, and there aren't lesson plans beyond Henle II.

Thank you, you have cleared some clouds and given me more to think about :-)
              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
              ds 25, graduated
              dd 11th Grade
              dd 8th Grade
              ds 6th Grade

Comment

Thank you for this expansion. I was trying to be succinct, but maybe I was too succinct I only want to add that Fourth Form uses exercises from much if not most of Henle I. For example, Exercise 26 is scheduled in Lesson 1 of 4FL. We use Henle for review and new material, not just new material.

Yes, we definitely recommend MPOA for upper-level Latin, but we are working on guides as well. As momgineer said, one can go much farther much faster with a live master teacher, but we know that isn't an option for everyone. Those upper-level guides just take a lot of time to write!
                Somehow I missed your last post. Thank you for your help! I'm going to email you regarding using the Forms in High School. It won't be an issue for my oldest, but it will certainly be for my youngest. He is a long way away from it, but I'm curious.
                Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                ds 25, graduated
                dd 11th Grade
                dd 8th Grade
                ds 6th Grade

Comment

Working...
                X