Novare Physical Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare Physical Science?

I noticed that the MP site says that the Novare Physical science set says the book is second edition but Novare has a 3rd edition and I wondered if there were differences I needed to be aware of or if the lesson plans would work with either edition?

Also since there are optional labs is there a place to get needed materials?
    I will check the Novare site for lab info too just thought I would ask while I was here if anyone here had successfully done the class as a lab class using the lab manual.

Ok so now I am coming back to ask about the grades difference with this set being 8-10th grade on the MP site and 6-8 grade on the Novare handout ... leave it to my dc to notice the discrepancy

Thanks!
    Last edited by MaggieAnnie; 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM.
    Winter 2020 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 10 with remediation/support
    DD - core 7 with remediation/support
    DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Re: Novare Physical Science?

Originally posted by MaggieAnnie View Post
    I noticed that the MP site says that the Novare Physical science set says the book is second edition but Novare has a 3rd edition and I wondered if there were differences I needed to be aware of or if the lesson plans would work with either edition?
    Good morning,

We are also selling the third edition. Our website was slightly out of date but we are updating it now. Our understanding is that Novare's changes will not affect our lesson plans.

Also since there are optional labs is there a place to get needed materials?
    I will check the Novare site for lab info too just thought I would ask while I was here if anyone here had successfully done the class as a lab class using the lab manual.

Ok so now I am coming back to ask about the grades difference with this set being 8-10th grade on the MP site and 6-8 grade on the Novare handout ... leave it to my dc to notice the discrepancy

Thanks!
    I don't know the answer to these last questions, so we'll have to wait for Cindy
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

In my opinion Novare Physical Science is perfect for 8th grade use. For high school (9th or 10th), I would use Novare Introductory Physics. Some people have good success using Physical Science in 7th, but the math in ch8-10 may be too difficult for most 7th graders. That is why I place it in 8th.

For struggling students (perhaps special needs or learning challenged), Novare Physical Science *can* be used for high school credit, because it includes lab work. I think the MP website includes grades 8-10 to give those students that option. Probably the grade designation on the website should be adjusted to grades 7-9 for best representation.

I suggest the following sequence for most students:
      6th Tiner Intro to Biology/ Trees (or Nature's Beautiful Order) - something "life science"
      7th Novare Earth Science
      8th Novare Physical Science
      9th Novare Introductory Physics
      10th Biology
      11th Chemistry
      12th Advanced Physics (Novare Modeling Nature) or Anatomy and Physiology
      Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 10-03-2017, 08:03 PM.
      Cindy Davis
      Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
      ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
      ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
      dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Regarding labs for Novare Physical Science, all the labs are described in the back of the textbook. I have adapted and modified these labs and added my own. I did purchase (from Novare) the 5 piece set of metal rods, which are great for measurement labs and density labs. Those metal samples were worth the money. I did not find the jig for the energy lab as helpful (launch balls with a spring compressed to different heights), so I made up my own energy lab. There are lots of ideas out there. Google physical science experiments by topic and you will find many to choose from - most can be adapted to household materials. Purchase an inexpensive 500 g digital scale, and a large graduated cylinder for measuring volume by displacement. Those two pieces of equipment will be very useful whatever experiments you choose. I keep hot wheels track, litmus strips (acid/base testing), billiard balls, golf balls, and balloons in my science supply closet. I purchase lab supplies from Flinn Scientific or from Nature's Workshop Plus (very homeschool friendly).
        Cindy Davis

Comment

Cindy this is all very helpful information.

I was thinking specifically of my 2E highschool kiddo who has advanced conceptual and reading/writing skills but is delayed with computational skills/speed so we have had struggles advancing in science. She participates in lots of outside science programs and succeeds well given access to written formulas so she does not have to draw them from memory and calculators to check computational accuracy when there is too little time for her to work through the problems. She loves experiments and logical problem solving, she inhales books on medical and science topics...we were waylaid by the math in Tiner Physics /Chem/Astronomy books a while back so we just keep moving sideways while we find workarounds and supports for her LD, working to improve her skills enough to move forward, mostly she just needs a lot of time. We finally worked through the Tiner books but she is chomping at the bit for better understanding. Conceptually science is her wheelhouse, it really motivates her so continuing to push is important to her more so than the frustrations of the math roadblocks.

If the math is heavy in Physical Science it is probably more where we are at...we are shakily at the end of Pre-Algebra...She hopes to be starting Algebra in December. We have such a weird combination of accelerated and delayed pace in academics based on her skills...is the math spread through out the book..you mentioned 2 chapters were more math heavy...I am wondering if the material would be done best taking the whole course slowly through out the year or would the format work to accelerate through certain sections if they are lighter in computation?

Thanks so much.
          Winter 2020 :
          DD - Graduated!

Comment

Cindy this is all very helpful information.

I was thinking specifically of my 2E highschool kiddo who has advanced conceptual and reading/writing skills but is delayed with computational skills/speed so we have had struggles advancing in science. She participates in lots of outside science programs and succeeds well given access to written formulas so she does not have to draw them from memory and calculators to check computational accuracy when there is too little time for her to work through the problems. She loves experiments and logical problem solving, she inhales books on medical and science topics...we were waylaid by the math in Tiner Physics /Chem/Astronomy books a while back so we just keep moving sideways while we find workarounds and supports for her LD, working to improve her skills enough to move forward, mostly she just needs a lot of time. We finally worked through the Tiner books but she is chomping at the bit for better understanding. Conceptually science is her wheelhouse, it really motivates her so continuing to push is important to her more so than the frustrations of the math roadblocks.

If the math is heavy in Physical Science it is probably more where we are at...we are shakily at the end of Pre-Algebra...She hopes to be starting Algebra in December. We have such a weird combination of accelerated and delayed pace in academics based on her skills...is the math spread through out the book..you mentioned 2 chapters were more math heavy...I am wondering if the material would be done best taking the whole course slowly through out the year or would the format work to accelerate through certain sections if they are lighter in computation?

Thanks so much.
            For your child, I think Physical Science will be a perfect fit. (By the way, the math presentation in Tiner Physics is confusing and haphazard. The historical information and some of the activities are great, but the computational work is challenging because it is introduced abruptly.) The math in physical science will shore up pre-algebra skills. Algebra is not needed for Phys Sci. There is no math until about halfway through the book. In Ch8 unit conversions are clearly taught, with plenty of practice. Calculating volume and density is taught at the end of Ch8. Then in Ch10 Newton's laws are taught, and the student practices calculating distance, velocity, acceleration, and force. All equations are provided and about 5 equations need to be memorized for Ch10. This is very doable. Outside Ch8 and 10 there is very little math, but concepts are taught clearly, setting the student up for success in Intro Physics, when she takes algebra.
            Cindy Davis

Comment

Thank you Cindy, that is very encouraging!
              Whew what a relief just to pick something!
              Winter 2020 :
              DD - Graduated!

Comment

Working...
              X