Geometry grading questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geometry grading questions

My daughter and I are finishing up chapter 2 in the geometry plans and I have some questions about how to grade proofs. My daughter is doing well on the straightforward stuff and can come up with the right reasons for the proofs where the basic framework is given. The trouble comes when given a proof solo. She generally has the gist of the proof, but often doesn't use the theorems proved in the chapter and tries to go about the proof differently than the key. This is the first chapter where the students attempt a proof. I was wondering how many points of of the test the proof should be worth (she just took the chapter 2 test) and what I should be looking for in order to give partial credit on the proof. Thanks!
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Re: Geometry grading questions

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    My daughter and I are finishing up chapter 2 in the geometry plans and I have some questions about how to grade proofs. My daughter is doing well on the straightforward stuff and can come up with the right reasons for the proofs where the basic framework is given. The trouble comes when given a proof solo. She generally has the gist of the proof, but often doesn't use the theorems proved in the chapter and tries to go about the proof differently than the key. This is the first chapter where the students attempt a proof. I was wondering how many points of of the test the proof should be worth (she just took the chapter 2 test) and what I should be looking for in order to give partial credit on the proof. Thanks!
    Grading proofs may be the greatest challenge for the mom teaching geometry at home. The proof does not have to match the key; for most geometry proofs there are multiple correct ways to reach the conclusion. I require a 2-column proof, and the proof is typically worth 4 points. if they miss a step, they will lose a point. If they completely miss the proof (with incorrect reasoning from the given), they get 0 points. If they "get" a step, but give the wrong reason, they may miss 1/2 a point or a full point depending on how badly they miss.

The goal is to demonstrate orderly, deductive reasoning (later also indirect proofs) to the desired conclusion, using previously given definitions, axioms (postulates) and previously-proved theorems.

I hope this helps. Writing proofs is an art. Grading proofs is also an art and will require effort on your part to verify that the proof was reasoned correctly (or not).
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
    ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
    dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Working...
    X