Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biology?

Originally posted by bean View Post
    I bought the teacher's one stop cd for the owl book. It has note taking guides (a little like MPs guides), a couple of versions of the test, a digital TE, lab sheets and more printable stuff than I could possibly ever use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005S...chers+one+stop

Might be useful until MP has their materials ready.

ETA- there is a lot of material in the book. She would need to work intensively and pick and choose topics to cover it in the summer. I bought it to use for the anatomy part of Health for Dd since we didn't cover those sections when we did biology last year.
    Bean,
    We are teaching this next year in our cottage school and you have me curious about this CD resource. If I PM you my email or number, can you email or text me some photos of what it actually looks like? The only link online from Amazon says $120 new. I'm not sure this is something that you could even use "used." Can you share a little more about it?
    Thanks!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I pm'd you. It is just a cd-rom of files, so very reusable.
      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Will the videos cover the entire book? It is my understanding that a student is prepared for the Biology SAT subject test if they master the content of that book.

Thanks!
        Last edited by bean; 05-17-2018, 08:15 AM.
        Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Will the videos cover the entire book? It is my understanding that a student is prepared for the Biology SAT subject test if they master the contents of that book.

Thanks!
          We cover up through about Chapter 43, omitting most of the unit on Human Biology. We felt the whole book was too much for one year, and that the content in the Human Biology unit could be better covered in a Human Anatomy class.
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            We cover up through about Chapter 43, omitting most of the unit on Human Biology. We felt the whole book was too much for one year, and that the content in the Human Biology unit could be better covered in a Human Anatomy class.
            That was my feeling, as well. Many Health courses cover basic anatomy. Now to fit it all into the schedule...

Thanks!
            Bean. Long time MP user.

Comment

Will the videos cover the entire book? It is my understanding that a student is prepared for the Biology SAT subject test if they master the content of that book.

Thanks!
              I was curious because we have only gotten half way through...it was mentioned in the videos that you should be prepared for the test at the end but does not specify which test...the SAT II for Biology has 2 options:
              Biology E/M Focus on ecology, evolution, and diversity or micro-level biology concepts.

The videos from what we have covered so far seems to focus on the micro level exam...is that the main focus on the class as a whole or is there enough covered for either exam. If some one could clarify that would be great.

FWIW...The micro level concepts are really intense right off the bat and depending on the skills/interests of a student it may be nice to note where you may be able to adapt by cutting back on some of those chapters if they were going for the ecology version of the test. With my dd's LD it hit really hard really fast as we had to do a lot of work together but then eased up as the content changed and now she is working independently...any how that was just our experience...a different kid with different set of skills would have an easier time.

The videos as we have them skip about a bit, not all chapters are covered...as we have access it is: 3,4,8,9,10, 17,5, 18,19,20, 35,36,37,38, 39-43 as a set and the Introduction at the very end..we watched that first ha, we couldn't quite figure out if 5 was out of order for a reason since there are not lesson plans at least there were not when we started. If someone could clarify the order that would be helpful as well.

I may have mentioned on an earlier post where she(the teacher) presumes knowledge from an earlier class she suggests work from a chapter where there is no video... I think it may have been chapter 2 that we read to start before watching the chp 3 videos, anyhow there are lots of clear directions on the video for what work should be done. Overall despite the level of work it has been for dd accommodating her skills we have been very pleased with the class, especially the streaming content.

The only thing we added was for Christmas dd got a large lab dissection set and a microscope with slides which we generally have been correlating to the text as we go because dd really wanted a lab component.

Out of Curiosity Michael, does MP ever plan to offer other science classes like Human Anatomy or are you thinking of just focusing on the main ones... Bio, Chem, Physics?
              Winter 2019 :
              DD - Graduated!
              DS - core 9 with remediation/support
              DD - core 6 with remediation/support
              DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieAnnie View Post
                I was curious because we have only gotten half way through...it was mentioned in the videos that you should be prepared for the test at the end but does not specify which test...the SAT II for Biology has 2 options:
                Biology E/M Focus on ecology, evolution, and diversity or micro-level biology concepts.

The videos from what we have covered so far seems to focus on the micro level exam...is that the main focus on the class as a whole or is there enough covered for either exam. If some one could clarify that would be great.

FWIW...The micro level concepts are really intense right off the bat and depending on the skills/interests of a student it may be nice to note where you may be able to adapt by cutting back on some of those chapters if they were going for the ecology version of the test. With my dd's LD it hit really hard really fast as we had to do a lot of work together but then eased up as the content changed and now she is working independently...any how that was just our experience...a different kid with different set of skills would have an easier time.

The videos as we have them skip about a bit, not all chapters are covered...as we have access it is: 3,4,8,9,10, 17,5, 18,19,20, 35,36,37,38, 39-43 as a set and the Introduction at the very end..we watched that first ha, we couldn't quite figure out if 5 was out of order for a reason since there are not lesson plans at least there were not when we started. If someone could clarify the order that would be helpful as well.

I may have mentioned on an earlier post where she(the teacher) presumes knowledge from an earlier class she suggests work from a chapter where there is no video... I think it may have been chapter 2 that we read to start before watching the chp 3 videos, anyhow there are lots of clear directions on the video for what work should be done. Overall despite the level of work it has been for dd accommodating her skills we have been very pleased with the class, especially the streaming content.

The only thing we added was for Christmas dd got a large lab dissection set and a microscope with slides which we generally have been correlating to the text as we go because dd really wanted a lab component.
                Good morning,

I am not the science person in the office , but the (off-forum) employee working on this project informed me that:

1. The course should adequately prepare a student for the SAT Subject test with a focus on molecular biology.

2. It looks like Ch. 5 should precede, not follow, Ch. 17, and of course the Introduction should be first. Sometimes when we upload streaming videos, they will appear out of order. We'll verify with Dr. Shelburne the intended order and then fix the videos. Sorry for any confusion!

3. Yes, the micro concepts are challenging! Chs. 1 and 2 would ease the difficulty curve, but we skip the former due to the amount of evolutionary content and the latter because much of the in-depth chemistry content is unnecessary for the rest of the course. The Introduction video should cover all needed introductory ideas, but it may be helpful to read all of Ch. 2 and we will consider assigning it in our lesson plans.

Out of Curiosity Michael, does MP ever plan to offer other science classes like Human Anatomy or are you thinking of just focusing on the main ones... Bio, Chem, Physics?
                Plans for science courses outside of Biology, Chemistry , Physics is a question for our Curriculum Director, Tanya. She is out of town at a convention, so it may be a bit before this last part of your post is answered.

ETA: I was able to speak with Tanya, and other science courses are a "maybe." We want to finish Biology first and then work on Chemistry next, and as you have seen, science courses take us a while!

Finally, thank you for the additional feedback on the course!
                Last edited by Michael; 05-18-2018, 08:11 AM.
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

Good morning,

I am not the science person in the office , but the (off-forum) employee working on this project informed me that:

1. The course should adequately prepare a student for the SAT Subject test with a focus on molecular biology.

2. It looks like Ch. 5 should precede, not follow, Ch. 17... Sorry for any confusion!

3. Yes, the micro concepts are challenging! Chs. 1 and 2 would ease the difficulty curve, but we skip the former due to the amount of evolutionary content and the latter because much of the in-depth chemistry content is unnecessary for the rest of the course. The Introduction video should cover all needed introductory ideas, but it may be helpful to read all of Ch. 2 and we will consider assigning it in our lesson plans.
                  Ahh you may not be the science person but are still always very helpful

That is exactly what we did for dd read all of chapter two...

It is good to know about the course being focused on Molecular Bio...honestly if we had known before hand we would have chosen a different option for dd due to her LD. She is a gifted reader and understands the content but interpreting the charts and images of the molecular structures and what not is extremely difficult for her...a student with challenges in visual domains will most likely need more time/support... it took us twice as long getting into it than we had planned needing...knowing now will help to plan what will be a best fit for my other kiddos...it may be a good idea to clarify the course focus on the streaming description because people expecting a more ecological focused Bio will be surprised. Maybe you already say that somewhere and we just missed it...it has been known to happen to me! I am sure I am not the only one who gets brain freeze after perusing MP's site endlessly and forgets what I was looking for ha. There is just so much good stuff to look at!

I still think it is a very well done course and dd is working hard determined to finish. Just different students have different needs and it is good to know where some kids with special needs will need adapting...it is usually easy to determine that with things like literature but it is not always easy knowing going into the sciences.

Thanks for doing the leg work asking questions for me Michael!
                  Winter 2019 :
                  DD - Graduated!
                  DS - core 9 with remediation/support
                  DD - core 6 with remediation/support
                  DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

Ahh you may not be the science person but are still always very helpful

That is exactly what we did for dd read all of chapter two...

It is good to know about the course being focused on Molecular Bio...honestly if we had known before hand we would have chosen a different option for dd due to her LD. She is a gifted reader and understands the content but interpreting the charts and images of the molecular structures and what not is extremely difficult for her...a student with challenges in visual domains will most likely need more time/support... it took us twice as long getting into it than we had planned needing...knowing now will help to plan what will be a best fit for my other kiddos...it may be a good idea to clarify the course focus on the streaming description because people expecting a more ecological focused Bio will be surprised. Maybe you already say that somewhere and we just missed it...it has been known to happen to me! I am sure I am not the only one who gets brain freeze after perusing MP's site endlessly and forgets what I was looking for ha. There is just so much good stuff to look at!

I still think it is a very well done course and dd is working hard determined to finish. Just different students have different needs and it is good to know where some kids with special needs will need adapting...it is usually easy to determine that with things like literature but it is not always easy knowing going into the sciences.

Thanks for doing the leg work asking questions for me Michael!
                    You're very welcome!
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                    X