Novare General Chemistry lab book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare General Chemistry lab book?

Noticing there is a student lab report handbook in the Memoria chem bundle but did not see anything about labs so I went to the Novare site and saw their bundle also includes a book called...

"Chemistry Experiments for High School at Home:18 chemistry experiments for contexts where standard lab facilities are not available."

So now I was wondering...what in the MP bundle is the lab book used for? Are there already labs included in the text and do they presuppose access to an actual lab? Is it a good idea to snag the extra book for Novare? Is there a place to get the supplies if so?

Anyone done seen these books yet I know they are rather new.

Just frantically (slightly hysterically ) figuring out science since dd's plans changed and we need continue homeschooling.

Thanks
    Winter 2020 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 10 with remediation/support
    DD - core 7 with remediation/support
    DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Re: Novare General Chemistry lab book?

If I have the correct book in mind, the Student Lab Report Handbook that you received is intended to be used from 9th to 12th grade for the student to prepare all science lab reports. In the MP catalog it states that an "experiment manual (is) sold separately." It's listed on p. 59 of the current catalog.

I'm sure someone will chime in with specifics--maybe Cindy Davis? But, for now I wanted to share this going into the weekend if that helps you! If you are doing everything at home, it sounds like you will need an additional text. They'll let you know for sure soon!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieAnnie View Post
      Noticing there is a student lab report handbook in the Memoria chem bundle but did not see anything about labs so I went to the Novare site and saw their bundle also includes a book called...

"Chemistry Experiments for High School at Home:18 chemistry experiments for contexts where standard lab facilities are not available."

So now I was wondering...what in the MP bundle is the lab book used for? Are there already labs included in the text and do they presuppose access to an actual lab? Is it a good idea to snag the extra book for Novare? Is there a place to get the supplies if so?

Anyone done seen these books yet I know they are rather new.

Just frantically (slightly hysterically ) figuring out science since dd's plans changed and we need continue homeschooling.

Thanks
      Jessica is correct - the lab report handbook helps your student learn how to write quality lab reports from scratch. This is a difficult and important skill that will help prepare students for college science coursework. This handbook is not consumable and can be used by all your children from 9th-12th grade.

The Novare General Chemistry textbook does not include experiments (unlike their Earth Science, Physical Science, and Introductory Physics books). The author, John Mays, explains the plan for experiments in the teacher preface, p. xvii. If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and purchase the "Chemistry Experiments for High School at Home". I would not do all 18 experiments. I would choose five experiments that will generate enough data to record in a table and present in a graph using an excel (or similar) program. Lab reports should be typed and presented as described in the lab report handbook, which you received in your bundle. The goal is to write 4-5 quality lab reports with increasing skill as the year progresses. Each lab report may take as many as 3-4 weeks to complete. You can do additional experiments without requiring a formal lab report. These additional experiments should be documented in a lab notebook, as described in the lab report handbook.

I think MP may decide to add "Chem Experiments at Home" as a separate purchase for families who are doing lab experiments at home. It looks like a helpful resource for the student learning chemistry at home.
      Cindy Davis
      Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
      ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
      ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
      dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Thank you Cindy that is very helpful and good to know...the idea of trying to complete 18 experiments was making my wallet cringe. But she does need experience writing lab reports as she is looking at a science field...she has actually done a lot of labs at her medical school saturday program but as never written any reports.
        Winter 2020 :
        DD - Graduated!

Comment

I just wanted to thank you, MaggieAnnie, for asking this on the forum where we can all learn from the responses; and y'all, Jessica and Cindy, for your replies. I had not known about Novare's "Chemistry Experiments for High School at Home", and it is such a relief to me because I'd not been sure how we would handle this and I do want to be able to teach chemistry at home.

I'm so grateful to all you at Memoria Press for finding and supporting Novare's science programs. I used to feel confident about the prospect of teaching high school science to my children, because I have a good science background, but as we move through the years I've begun to see that it takes so much _time_ to prepare a good class, and I haven't been able to figure out where that time will come from. So having the structure and support, and terrific texts, is such a relief!
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 14 yo
          ds N, 9 yo

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
            I just wanted to thank you, MaggieAnnie, for asking this on the forum where we can all learn from the responses!
            I never am ashamed of publicly admitting I don't know something Otherwise I would never be able to speak ha!

I am quite hopeful for the Novare books and look forward to seeing them all in the future...sad that my once again my oldest is missing out on publication...oldest kid blues ha... but the Chem I think will be a good fit for this year.
            Winter 2020 :
            DD - Graduated!

Comment

Working...
            X