Credit Breakdown for 9M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Breakdown for 9M

High school is right around the corner and as I finalize my son's 8th grade year, I would like to get a grasp on his first couple of years of high school.
    If we were to use the the 9M plans as written, how would the credits be assigned?

I see that Physical Science is in the 9th plans, however, when looking at the MPOA Physical Science course, only a .5 credit is awarded. How would a student earn a full science credit for this class or is that possible?

Thank you!
    Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
    DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
    DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
    DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
    Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Re: Credit Breakdown for 9M

Originally posted by Katie View Post
    High school is right around the corner and as I finalize my son's 8th grade year, I would like to get a grasp on his first couple of years of high school.
    If we were to use the the 9M plans as written, how would the credits be assigned?

I see that Physical Science is in the 9th plans, however, when looking at the MPOA Physical Science course, only a .5 credit is awarded. How would a student earn a full science credit for this class or is that possible?

Thank you!
    I think the credit difference is based on whether you do labs or not...
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

I think it is more 0.5 credit because the text is marketed as a middle school level. I believe MPOA does some labs, but we did it on our own this year. The online academy also has the 9th grade lit package as 1/2 credit because it used to be the 8th grade package, but I do believe that Mr. Piland said they might be adjusting that. I would check on the online academy board to see if he can explain the 0.5 vs 1.0 credit before you decide. It is a nice book, but doesn't have much in the way of calculations until about half-way through. Novare suggests the Introductory Physics as their grade level 9th grade science course if you are following their physics-first schedule and are taking algebra concurrently.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Well, I had purchased Novare PS with the intention of my son doing it this coming year (8)..with the labs..here at home. However, his schedule is pretty full next year and I thought of just moving it to 9 like it is scheduled. BUT..I would want it to count as a full credit. He will be taking Algebra I this coming year.
        Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP

Comment

What sort of college program does he want to take down the road? My oldest is going into 9th this year, but to me physical science seems a bit light on the transcript if going into something like engineering. I would certainly post over on the online academy board about their credit recommendation reasoning before stressing too much about it.
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Well, I had purchased Novare PS with the intention of my son doing it this coming year (8)..with the labs..here at home. However, his schedule is pretty full next year and I thought of just moving it to 9 like it is scheduled. BUT..I would want it to count as a full credit. He will be taking Algebra I this coming year.
            If you do Novare Physical Science in 9th grade with labs (and lab reports), you can count it as 1 full credit. If you just do the textbook, it would only count as 0.5 credits. Most states require 3 high school credits in science, so possible options are
            Physical Science with lab reports (1 credit)
            Introductory Physics (1 credit)
            Biology (1 credit)
            Chemistry (1 credit)

If your child may go on to a STEM field (pre-med, engineering, mathematics, chemistry), then he/she should plan to take vector-based physics in high school. This path could look like:
            Biology (1 credit)
            Chemistry (1 credit)
            Advanced Physics (vector-based)

A student who struggles with math and science could take an "easier" track:
            Earth Science (0.5 credit)
            Physical Science (0.5 credit)
            Biology (1 credit)
            Chemistry (1 credit)

Many students will want to take Anatomy and Physiology in high school, but you won't have room if you take Physical Science as a 9th grader:
            Biology (1 credit)
            Chemistry (1 credit)
            Anatomy and Physiology (1 credit)

There are quite a few options. You may want to look at your end-goal and work backward. My preference would be to complete Novare Physical Science in 8th grade, because that is the grade it is best suited for. You can lighten the labs in 8th grade, so it is not overwhelming. What else is he taking in 8th grade? Taking a "heavy" load in 8th is good preparation for the workload in high school.
            Cindy Davis
            Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
            ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
            ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
            dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
              If you do Novare Physical Science in 9th grade with labs (and lab reports), you can count it as 1 full credit. If you just do the textbook, it would only count as 0.5 credits. Most states require 3 high school credits in science, so possible options are
              Biology (1 credit)
              Chemistry (1 credit)

If your child may go on to a STEM field (pre-med, engineering, mathematics, chemistry), then he/she should plan to take vector-based physics in high school. This path could look like:
              Biology (1 credit)
              Chemistry (1 credit)
              Advanced Physics (vector-based)

A student who struggles with math and science could take an "easier" track:
              Earth Science (0.5 credit)
              Physical Science (0.5 credit)
              Biology (1 credit)
              Chemistry (1 credit)

Many students will want to take Anatomy and Physiology in high school, but you won't have room if you take Physical Science as a 9th grader:
              Biology (1 credit)
              Chemistry (1 credit)
              Anatomy and Physiology (1 credit)

There are quite a few options. You may want to look at your end-goal and work backward. My preference would be to complete Novare Physical Science in 8th grade, because that is the grade it is best suited for. You can lighten the labs in 8th grade, so it is not overwhelming. What else is he taking in 8th grade? Taking a "heavy" load in 8th is good preparation for the workload in high school.
              Thanks for writing out all these options, Cindy.

His current plan, and has been for a long time, is Catholic seminary. However, he is very much science minded. He LOVES Chemistry and Physics. I see him choosing a science or engineering field if not seminary.

Here is something else we are both contemplating: taking a heavy 8th load with some courses high school credit worthy. The end goal is not to graduate early, but to lighten his load his junior and senior year. A few times a month during the school year, my son goes to work with my husband, completes his assignments in the morning, and then works in the afternoon to earn money. Once he is driving age, he would like to work as much as possible (so his junior and senior year) to save a substantial amount of money pre-seminary or college. So if he could take a heavy 8, 9, 10 and a lighter 11 & 12, that would be ideal.

Here is/was the plan for next year:
              8M as written, subbing Third Form through MPOA, and possibly comp through MPOA also.
              Novare Physical Science
              Trad Logic II
              First Form Greek
              Art, religion, grammar/poetry classes at co-op.

I am all for a heavy 8th load to ramp up for high-school level work, but it would be nice to award him a couple of credits in the process.

I like the idea of him having a vector-based Physics. Is this kind of course best done during the senior year? If we did chose to keep Physical Science in 8, could we move everything up and start with Biology and then either add in A&P or an advanced Chem class?
              Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP

Comment

How are you veteran high school homeschoolers awarding credits for the rest of the courses in 9th?
                Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP

Comment

Thanks for writing out all these options, Cindy.

His current plan, and has been for a long time, is Catholic seminary. However, he is very much science minded. He LOVES Chemistry and Physics. I see him choosing a science or engineering field if not seminary.

Here is something else we are both contemplating: taking a heavy 8th load with some courses high school credit worthy. The end goal is not to graduate early, but to lighten his load his junior and senior year. A few times a month during the school year, my son goes to work with my husband, completes his assignments in the morning, and then works in the afternoon to earn money. Once he is driving age, he would like to work as much as possible (so his junior and senior year) to save a substantial amount of money pre-seminary or college. So if he could take a heavy 8, 9, 10 and a lighter 11 & 12, that would be ideal.

Here is/was the plan for next year:
                  8M as written, subbing Third Form through MPOA, and possibly comp through MPOA also.
                  Novare Physical Science
                  Trad Logic II
                  First Form Greek
                  Art, religion, grammar/poetry classes at co-op.

I am all for a heavy 8th load to ramp up for high-school level work, but it would be nice to award him a couple of credits in the process.

I like the idea of him having a vector-based Physics. Is this kind of course best done during the senior year? If we did chose to keep Physical Science in 8, could we move everything up and start with Biology and then either add in A&P or an advanced Chem class?
                  Katie,
                  Now that I understand his goals and aptitude better, I can make a clearer recommendation. Btw, let me point out that giving credit for coursework taken in 8th grade is usually not necessary to make his transcript appealing to colleges. As long as he completes the upper end course (Calculus, Vector Physics, etc,), no one cares what math or science he took in 8th grade, nor do they need to see it on his transcript. I personally think it looks a little fishy to include 8th grade coursework on a high school transcript. That is just my opinion.

As long as his math holds up, the following sequence will work well (for math and science). If you need to lighten his load in 11th and 12th grade, you can always eliminate a couple of the "humanities" books. There is plenty of humanities work in MP - don't shortchange the math and science for this son!

8th grade:
                  Physical Science (with as many labs as you can manage)
                  Algebra1

9th grade:
                  Biology, provided he earns an A in algebra1 and physical science and shows desire to tackle high school science. If he doesn't, I suggest Introductory Physics in 9th grade. (That is the policy at our school, btw)
                  Algebra2

10th grade:
                  Chemistry
                  Geometry

11th grade:
                  Vector Physics or Advanced Chem or Anatomy and Physiology (whichever you can obtain)
                  Pre-calculus

12th grade:
                  Advanced Chem or Vector Physics (whichever you did not complete in 11th grade) or Anatomy and Physiology
                  Calculus

In my opinion, this is the best sequence for a math and science-minded student. And the math sequence sets him up for best result on PSAT in fall of 11th and SAT/ACT in spring of 11th. Don't omit vector physics. He can choose between advanced chem or anatomy and physiology. They are both beneficial.

His work experience will enhance his resume. Colleges and future employers love to see young people with that kind of initiative and diligence. And you may be surprised at how his capacity to manage academics and a heavier work load increases between 8th and 11th grade. A *lot* of growth happens during those years.

Hope this helps!
                  Cindy Davis
                  Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM.
                  Cindy Davis

Comment

Agreeing with Cindy on the credits for science. Our school district does not award high school credit for Physical Science, with or without labs. Students are expected to complete three years of science after biology. It's part of the big STEM push.

I have a son who plans to become a priest also. But since the seminary wants them to complete a couple of years of college first, we have to pay attention to what credits will be accepted.

One of the best priests at our parish had his degrees in biochemistry. He said he was working in his field, having a pretty good life, and then picked up a copy of "True Devotion to Mary." It led him to the priesthood. When he gives homilies, he frequently supplies his bibliography and data.

Blessings,
                    Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
                      Katie,
                      Now that I understand his goals and aptitude better, I can make a clearer recommendation. Btw, let me point out that giving credit for coursework taken in 8th grade is usually not necessary to make his transcript appealing to colleges. As long as he completes the upper end course (Calculus, Vector Physics, etc,), no one cares what math or science he took in 8th grade, nor do they need to see it on his transcript. I personally think it looks a little fishy to include 8th grade coursework on a high school transcript. That is just my opinion.

As long as his math holds up, the following sequence will work well (for math and science). If you need to lighten his load in 11th and 12th grade, you can always eliminate a couple of the "humanities" books. There is plenty of humanities work in MP - don't shortchange the math and science for this son!

8th grade:
                      Physical Science (with as many labs as you can manage)
                      Algebra1

9th grade:
                      Biology, provided he earns an A in algebra1 and physical science and shows desire to tackle high school science. If he doesn't, I suggest Introductory Physics in 9th grade. (That is the policy at our school, btw)
                      Algebra2

10th grade:
                      Chemistry
                      Geometry

11th grade:
                      Vector Physics or Advanced Chem or Anatomy and Physiology (whichever you can obtain)
                      Pre-calculus

12th grade:
                      Advanced Chem or Vector Physics (whichever you did not complete in 11th grade) or Anatomy and Physiology
                      Calculus

In my opinion, this is the best sequence for a math and science-minded student. And the math sequence sets him up for best result on PSAT in fall of 11th and SAT/ACT in spring of 11th. Don't omit vector physics. He can choose between advanced chem or anatomy and physiology. They are both beneficial.

His work experience will enhance his resume. Colleges and future employers love to see young people with that kind of initiative and diligence. And you may be surprised at how his capacity to manage academics and a heavier work load increases between 8th and 11th grade. A *lot* of growth happens during those years.

Hope this helps!
                      Cindy Davis
                      Good points. What texts are recommended for Advanced Chem and Vector Physics? I still have three of my old college Chem books (which he has found reading for fun. I'm trying to figure out where this child came from?! The reason I have three is because that is how many attempts it took me to get through Chem..eek!) So, would a College Chem book suffice for an Advanced High school Chem course..along with completing the labs and reports?

Or are these sort of science courses best taken with a master instructor?
                      Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP

Comment

Good points. What texts are recommended for Advanced Chem and Vector Physics? I still have three of my old college Chem books (which he has found reading for fun. I'm trying to figure out where this child came from?! The reason I have three is because that is how many attempts it took me to get through Chem..eek!) So, would a College Chem book suffice for an Advanced High school Chem course..along with completing the labs and reports?

Or are these sort of science courses best taken with a master instructor?
                        Hi Katie,
                        The Novare textbook, Physics: Modeling Nature, is a great choice for vector-based physics. I suspect that MP will eventually add this choice to the 12th grade plans (they should be available by the time your son needs them).

Novare does offer Chemistry for Accelerated Students, but I understand it to be a replacement for their General Chemistry book, not intended for a "year2" of chemistry. If your son completes General Chemistry (which has plenty of challenge - we use General Chemistry at HLS Indy) in 10th grade, you could look for an AP Chemistry course (on-line) and he can take the AP exam at a local high school in May to earn possible college credit. The real benefit of the AP course is the advanced topics and learning it provides. Any college credit is just a bonus, since most STEM majors will take the full chemistry sequence at their college or university. Another possibility would be to take a dual credit advanced chemistry course at a local community college or university. Your mileage may vary with this option; I would definitely talk to others who took the course to make sure it provides the level of teaching and education you seek. I think advanced chemistry is best taught by a "master teacher"; I would not attempt it at home unless you or dh have a strong chemistry education or work experience.
                        Cindy Davis

Comment

Working...
                        X