Upper level lit guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper level lit guides

I received the Romeo and Juliet lit guide for my daughter's summer class today. I was surprised at the small format with no spaces in which to write. Is this format unique to Romeo and Juliet or will other guides be published this way in the future?
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Re: Upper level lit guides

Dorinda,

This is going to be the new style for our high school guides. Our teachers were concerned that their students need to be preparing for college, and they will not be handed fill in the blank workbooks when they get there. So we came up with this compromise that continues to guide students and teachers, while also making students responsible for their own notes in a notebook. We feel this transition will work, but we would like your feedback after you have tried it! We did talk about leaving the original guide format for homeschoolers, but then we decided they needed the same kind of transition to independent notes. Please let us know how it works for you. I believe David added notes about using a Literature Notebook alongside the student guide now.

Tanya

Comment

Works for me. The Kolbe student guides we used for literature and history with my oldest were half-sized booklets. All work was turned in on looseleaf to be checked and then returned to keep in a subject binder. But I normally don't let my children write in the student guides after second grade anyway, except for subjects that require labeling of diagrams or maps.
      Blessings,
      Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5

Comment

We will trust you Tanya and give it a shot...but first impression after hearing of the change was not great. I even asked my high schooler what she thought of doing it that way (did not bias her beforehand) and her initial reaction was less than pleased too.

Frankly, we love NOT having to buy notebooks for everything. I already have to buy an entire two boxes from Walmart at the beginning of the year to have enough for Math, Latin, and religion. And the only time you can get them cheap is August. If you don't get enough to cover your year, you end up paying a dollar a notebook. More subjects needing notebooks gets out of hand real fast.

That, and now their books will not all be the same size on their shelf, and they will have three things to fit instead of two. Seems trivial, again, until you factor in the limited shelf space that most of us are working with.

I get that it is about developing a skill that will be useful later, but our high schoolers are already expected to do a lot independently that even the HLS students don't have to yet. I honestly don't think it's an issue for them.

But...that's the initial reaction. Time will tell if it turns out to be not so much of a headache. But please tell me it's just literature and not every upper school course???

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

It is literature only at this point. And I understand having to buy an extra notebook each year, but I think you will come out ahead since the student book is no longer consumable. You can use the same student for every child! For you, with so many students, you should easily be able to get lots of notebooks for the cost of all those student books you no longer have to buy.

We didn't easily make this decision. We talked about it all year and had several different versions before settling on the current one. But the feedback we got from our students who have gone to college was that it was rather a shock to be handed a text and no study guide telling what to do.

We appreciate any feedback you can give us as you approach this new year.

Tanya

Comment

Well, and that is why we are going to deal with the irksome-ness of new routines - because we trust you guys! We will give it a shot and see how it goes.

We have classes that we have to do that for already - science, history, religion, math - that I feel like they get that exposure already. Those guides just make those classes so nice! But I had not thought about the non-consumable part, so that is a plus. Again, we trust you guys, and will see how it goes!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            Last edited by KF2000; 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM.
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 8
            DD, 6
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Sarah,

It is literature only at this point. And I understand having to buy an extra notebook each year, but I think you will come out ahead since the student book is no longer consumable. You can use the same student for every child! For you, with so many students, you should easily be able to get lots of notebooks for the cost of all those student books you no longer have to buy.

We didn't easily make this decision. We talked about it all year and had several different versions before settling on the current one. But the feedback we got from our students who have gone to college was that it was rather a shock to be handed a text and no study guide telling what to do.

We appreciate any feedback you can give us as you approach this new year.

Tanya
              I think this makes a TON of sense. We're always talking about how the study guides are meant to lead our students into being able to do this type of work/thinking on their own, but if we don't take it to that next step while they're still at home, the transition will be much more difficult for them. Just as we start the guides with orally developed answers that are copied from the board and then gradually lead them to independently written answers, we need to lead them to finding the most important points on their own without the aid of a study guide. This will be a challenge for some of my children but I'm very excited that we will be able to work through it within a solid framework. Thank you!!
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
              DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
              DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
              DS11: SC 4
              DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
              DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
              DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

So which guides thus far are written in the new format, and will you be updating all of the high school lit guides to this format?

Comment

I just went and looked at the sample, and I like the change. Writing in student guides is something of a small battle at our house. With this layout, it really does make discussing instead of writing feel like a valid option.
                  Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020. 10th- All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Let's see: To Kill a Mockingbird, Julius Caesar, and Henry V are small now. Oh, and the new Hound of the Baskervilles that just came out is small. We will gradually be reformatting 9th grade and any new guides that are coming as we write them.

Tanya

Comment

Let's see: To Kill a Mockingbird, Julius Caesar, and Henry V are small now. Oh, and the new Hound of the Baskervilles that just came out is small. We will gradually be reformatting 9th grade and any new guides that are coming as we write them.

Tanya
                      Is the content the same except for the spaces to write and the size? I ordered 9th grade last year, but didn't finish all the books. I was wondering if I should be updating the student books as they are finished. Also, Mr. Piland said I didn't need the teacher manual for the summer class so I only ordered the student book. How have the teacher's manuals changed?
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

The content is the same, so you can use what you have. And we haven't edited the teacher guides at all. They remain formatted as they were originally.

Tanya

Comment

Let's see: Oh, and the new Hound of the Baskervilles that just came out is small.
                          Tanya
                          WHAT! Where!? When...Links! You are taunting me and I can't find it on the website.
                          Tanya you are killing my budget and I do not even mind <3
                          Ha...honestly I have the book practically memorized but I wanna have fun in school too!

FWIW I think it sounds like a good idea. Basically how we have been doing things for 10th is having her take notes while reading, orally review places/people setting with me before discussing/summarizing a chapter with me and only then going back and going over the questions and teachers notes to see if we missed any topics.

I am interested in seeing the new guides.
                          Last edited by MaggieAnnie; 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM.
                          Winter 2020 :
                          DD - Graduated!
                          DS - core 10 with remediation/support
                          DD - core 7 with remediation/support
                          DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieAnnie View Post
                            WHAT! Where!? When...Links! You are taunting me and I can't find it on the website.
                            Here you go!
                            Michael
                            Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
                              Pay day is the 30th...I can wait ahem patiently!
                              Thanks finding it for me!
                              Winter 2020 :
                              DD - Graduated!
                              DS - core 10 with remediation/support
                              DD - core 7 with remediation/support
                              DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

Working...
                              X