Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Latin in switching to MP Core

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction for Latin for my 13 year-old. We are switching to MP Classical Core level 8 this year for what is technically her 9th grade year. She just completed Latin Alive! 1 with a pretty good score. We ordered the level 8 curriculum package with Fourth Form Latin and Henle. Will this be a good progression for her or should we just go on to Latin Alive! 2 to keep it consistent? I am concerned she may find too much overlap with Fourth Form, but perhaps they are different enough that I am concerned over nothing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tamara

Re: Need help with Latin in switching to MP Core

I can't answer your question completely, but I believe that she would not repeat material from Latin Alive I if she were to do Fourth Form. Actually, I think there are concepts taught in Third Form not covered in Latin Alive I -- the subjunctive and the comparison of adjectives and adverbs. I would try to find some way to cover that material and switch to the Forms. Latin Alive has some interesting readings, but the Forms, in my opinion, are a much more solid program.

All the best.
    Bonnie
    Last edited by Bonnie; 06-08-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I looked at the TOC for Latin Alive 2 and it covers a lot that is taught in Second and a Third Form- like passive voice and subjunctive mood. Fourth Form expects you to already know these and will use them in the translation exercises.
      Hoping to hear from MP Latin gurus, but I'm thinking IF you switch you might need to go back to Second Form or do Henle instead of Forms. If you continue with Latin Alive is it a mastery program where once you finish the last book you move into translation or is it expected that you start grammar again in high school? If you can move from Latin Alive to translation you might find it better to just keep going with that rather than have to start over in Forms or Henle so you don't miss anything.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by TamaraW View Post
        Hello,

I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction for Latin for my 13 year-old. We are switching to MP Classical Core level 8 this year for what is technically her 9th grade year. She just completed Latin Alive! 1 with a pretty good score. We ordered the level 8 curriculum package with Fourth Form Latin and Henle. Will this be a good progression for her or should we just go on to Latin Alive! 2 to keep it consistent? I am concerned she may find too much overlap with Fourth Form, but perhaps they are different enough that I am concerned over nothing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tamara
        Hello,

As others have noted, it would be difficult to dive into Fourth Form as it is the final in a series of four books, so your student will be missing some key grammar, and possibly a lot of vocabulary depending on the overlap between the Forms and Latin Alive. Because your primary concern is the avoidance of repetition, you might consider using Henle Latin. Start at the beginning, but move quickly through any sections that are review. A few practice problems from a section will tell you if the material was learned and mastered, or was learned but needs to be reviewed. Move at whatever pace allows mastery.

If you want to email or call our office (sales@memoriapress.com, 1-877-862-1097), we'd be happy to see about swapping your Fourth Form with Henle or another program, as well as fill in details about your child and about how Latin Alive went. Those details might help us provide a more tailored recommendation.

Welcome to the forum!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. Based on this feedback I went ahead and traded in the 4FL for Latin Alive 2 at my local bookstore, so that my daughter won't have the added stress of changing programs.

Comment

Working...
          X