High School Heatlh course recommendations, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Heatlh course recommendations, please

Im interested to know what some of you have used to complete a 0.5 Health credit requirement for high school?
    Angel
    Mom to 5 Teens.

Re: High School Heatlh course recommendations, please

Originally posted by apregont View Post
    Im interested to know what some of you have used to complete a 0.5 Health credit requirement for high school?
    Well, what a good question! This is one reason I follow the high school forum: I'd never thought of this.

Do you need a health requirement for your state, then?

Mine are not old enough for us to have been through this. I did find that Ambleside Online seems to address health with PE credits and maybe hygiene education/education about "reproduction" that parents provide; if that doesn't seem helpful, or not helpful enough I am sure if you ring Memoria Press they will tackle the question.

blessings!
    Last edited by serendipitous journey; 05-24-2017, 09:30 AM.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 14 yo
    ds N, 9 yo

Comment

Actually, we don't have a health requirement in KY that I know of. I didn't answer this post because I don't know the answer! We don't have a health curriculum at our school and I didn't do any health when I was homeschooling!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post

In Tennessee Health is one of the requirements for high school.
        Angel
        Angel
        Mom to 5 Teens.

Comment

I went to high school in TN, and I remember having a health class! It was fascinating because we talked about anatomy differences between genders and other stuff like that which caused lots of teenage giggles. Not the best use of time, but I suppose you have to do it ... Good luck figuring it out.

Tanya

Comment

Kentucky has a 1/2 credit health requirement for a state diploma. This is can be covered by a section in science on caring for your body (healthy eating, no drugs or alcohol, exercise etc.) My son took the class online then had to go to the Board of Education and take a test. Home schools may be exempt from this since you are not asking for a state diploma.

Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
              Well, what a good question! This is one reason I follow the high school forum: I'd never thought of this.

Mine are not old enough for us to have been through this. I did find that Ambleside Online seems to address health with PE credits and maybe hygiene education/education about "reproduction" that parents provide; if that doesn't seem helpful, or not helpful enough I am sure if you ring Memoria Press they will tackle the question.

blessings!
              Some states require 1/2 credit of health and 1/2 credit pe. Maybe consider CPR and First Aid certification in addition to some units on nutrition and the like to create a health credit. I know a number of schools around here in Michigan are including those as part of health and I even saw lifeguard training as a 1/2 credit gym class at our local high school when we took a tour. The nice thing about the certification is it is from an outside source with pretty universally recognized content. Maybe a human development course with a CLEP test for some potential credit. I remember my health class having a life skills component with a project of our choosing. I sewed a jumper. My daughter is entering high school this fall and I am using swim team as PE and plan to do some short units on nutrition and meal planning, hygiene, emergency preparedness, etc. we may also do some "home economics" for fun. She is in American Heritage girls and I plan to use some of the badge requirements as a guideline. I also found a textbook called Total Health referenced on a blog while looking around that I plan to look at as well.
              Dorinda

For 2019-2020
              DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
              DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
              DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
              DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                Some states require 1/2 credit of health and 1/2 credit pe. Maybe consider CPR and First Aid certification in addition to some units on nutrition and the like to create a health credit. I know a number of schools around here in Michigan are including those as part of health and I even saw lifeguard training as a 1/2 credit gym class at our local high school when we took a tour. The nice thing about the certification is it is from an outside source with pretty universally recognized content. Maybe a human development course with a CLEP test for some potential credit. I remember my health class having a life skills component with a project of our choosing. I sewed a jumper. My daughter is entering high school this fall and I am using swim team as PE and plan to do some short units on nutrition and meal planning, hygiene, emergency preparedness, etc. we may also do some "home economics" for fun. She is in American Heritage girls and I plan to use some of the badge requirements as a guideline. I also found a textbook called Total Health referenced on a blog while looking around that I plan to look at as well.
                These are _great_ ideas! thank you for sharing!!!
                Ana, mama to
                ds A, 14 yo
                ds N, 9 yo

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                  Maybe consider CPR and First Aid certification in addition to some units on nutrition and the like to create a health credit. .
                  Love the CPR suggestion.
                  Thanks!
                  Angel
                  Angel
                  Mom to 5 Teens.

Comment

I remember taking CPR as part of PE in my NJ high school. I failed it becasue I was small and not strong enough to do the compressions!
                    The Homeschool Grads:
                    J- 6/96
                    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                    G- 4/04
                    D- 5/05
                    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                    M- 9/16

Comment

https://youtu.be/Vmb1tqYqyII

As long as the CPR lessons go better than this "Office" clip, things should be fine.

Comment

I second the CPR training
                        DD younger at a big picnic when she was 5 had a bad accident... all the teens who were babysitting were running about being totally unhelpful crying and panicking except the young high schooler who had just finished up a series of CPR/Emergency courses that week.
                        He stayed calm got everyone else moved back, sent one kid running for the adults, kept dd calm and still until the adults arrived...
                        luckily no spinal injury but she had a pretty serious concussion and a face of scabbing for months. (cracked her helmet ).

Dd is going to take the CPR next time Dh does for work to cap her studies...our state req's one credit of PE and one of health which takes 2 full years of each in the schools...homeschool req's seems to vary district to district here...for our health thus far we have done a comparative study of various nutrition approaches...read about 4 books ...it is not as big of deal as that sounds...light reading compared to our academic books Then she used the info to create a nutritional meal plan based on her own needs (medical and religious etc...) and for a project wrote up a menu/recipe book for herself that she can take along to college.

We also covered basic anatomy stuff- body systems/communicable disease vecotors/healthy choices ie drugs and alcohol/*** ed/consent etc...mostly through Mother/Daughter conversations and the Anatomy coloring book...she reads medical books for fun so I was not too worried about that part ha. But those are the topics most covered in schools here...But honestly for most things I emailed her pertinent articles /news and she read them on her own and then we had discussions as we walked or drove around one on one. So I have a list of topics/articles I can keep as a record/booklist...but we covered them informally I think in a more emotional healthy approach than "here is a text book" for difficult topics, which is what I got in school. I was not too hard for dd...with ds it is proving trickier I say here ds/dh read this and talk about it and they look at me... hahaha

For PE we again read a couple of light books on approaches to fitness/movement...she developed a "plan" based on her own needs/what appeals/medical issues did a base line of where she was and her fitness goals... and then just kept a record her activities and did a year end assessment... we did a little reading about women is sports history just for fun.

As mentioned above kid in a sports program could include that as part of the requirement....dd gave up on competitive spots years ago not enjoying the competitive part....she is however reallllly trying to convince me to hang rock climbing grips up the side of the house!

Is there an approach highland/the various cottage schools take or does it vary state to state?
                        Winter 2020 :
                        DD - Graduated!
                        DS - core 10 with remediation/support
                        DD - core 7 with remediation/support
                        DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                          I remember taking CPR as part of PE in my NJ high school. I failed it becasue I was small and not strong enough to do the compressions!
                          OH Enigma! Ha Not fair!
                          Ah no "reasonable accommodation " there!
                          Winter 2020 :
                          DD - Graduated!
                          DS - core 10 with remediation/support
                          DD - core 7 with remediation/support
                          DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

Working...
                          X