Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Form series on transcript

Hi,
    How do you list First Form, Second Form, etc. on a high school transcript? I've been encouraged to keep our homeschool transcript similar to traditional school class listings.

Thanks!

Re: Latin Form series on transcript

Originally posted by AmyM View Post
    Hi,
    How do you list First Form, Second Form, etc. on a high school transcript? I've been encouraged to keep our homeschool transcript similar to traditional school class listings.

Thanks!
    It would be fine to list them as "Latin I, Latin II, Latin III," etc.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks! That's what I was hoping. Since our Latin studies have only been with MP, I wasn't sure what a typical Latin 1 class covered.

Comment

Most typical high schools take two years to teach the full grammar of a foreign language and two years to study literature/culture. Since the four forms only covers the grammar you are only doing the equivalent of two years of "typical" Latin. The Forms have a lot of work and MP has certified that each Form can count for a full year, thus the recommendation above. I just want to point out that IF (and only IF) you are needing to follow a "typical" scope and sequence, I would count First and Second Form as Latin 1 and Third and Fourth Form as Latin 2. If you do not need to follow a "typical" scope and sequence, then certainly give four years of credit for all the work in the Forms. I can easily attest that completing the Forms in four years (usually in 5th-8th) leads to better mastery than doing Henle 1 (or any other typical high school book) over two years. There is MUCH more time to do lots of work and ensure mastery. For comparison, Kolbe Academy does Henle 1 (equal to the Four Forms) over 3 semesters and does Henle 2 in one semester so that after two years they have finished two Henle books. That is WAY too fast to really ensure retention and mastery. Mother of Divine Grace, I believe, does Henle 1 over two years and Henle 2 over 1 year which is much more typical. The MP online Academy does Henle 1 over two years and Henle 2 in one year. Just remember Henle 1 is roughly the equivalent of the Four Forms (although I noticed that Fourth Form covers material not taught in Henle 1 that is taught in Henle 2).
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I would add that the typical way to list languages on a transcript is "Latin I, Latin II, etc". So if the person encouraging you to make the transcript in the "traditional" way is wanting to make sure your transcript does not appear foreign to college admissions departments, by all means equate First Form with "Latin I", Second Form with "Latin II", Third Form with "Latin III", and Fourth Form with "Latin IV." If that person, however, is encouraging that in order to try to equate the content you are doing with the content public school children are doing, then you will want to count First & Second Form as Latin I, and Third & Fourth Form as Latin II.

We are doing education differently than most of the world, so it makes sense that our transcript would mean something different. A student that has completed the Forms will have a much better grasp of grammar and syntax then most students that have followed the "traditional" language path. By Latin I, II, III, and IV, we mean that the student has struggled with Latin in every facet--and that is true of every student of the Form Series.

Paul
          Paul Schaeffer
          --
          Academy Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you all for the clarification. We were advised that it's better if our transcript doesn't list subjects that are foreign to admissions depts, not that they we have to follow a particular scope and sequence. Our daughter did all 4 Forms, plus Henle 1 and 2 with MP on-line classes. How would the Henle classes be listed?

Thanks, again!

Comment

What grade is your daughter currently in and how much more Latin does she plan to take? To me that would make a difference in what you call the classes. You don't need to overload with Latin credits. My daughter is in eighth grade and in fourth form in the MPOA. I plan to lump all the forms into a Latin 1 credit for 8th. I don't want to give more than one credit of foreign language prior to starting high school because it isn't what is typically done. I don't know how Highland Latin school transcripts Latin for their students because they should be on track to finish the forms in seventh grade.

I know MP says First form can be a high school credit, but I personally feel that if my fourth grader can master the material in a year that a typical high schooler should be able to complete it much more quickly while still mastering the material. The forms are perfect for elementary/middle school years or finishing up in high school, but I think we do ourselves a disservice if we oversell first form for anything more than 1/2 a high school credit.

Dorinda
              Dorinda

For 2020-2021
              DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
              DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
              DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
              DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                I personally feel that if my fourth grader can master the material in a year that a typical high schooler should be able to complete it much more quickly while still mastering the material.
                Good evening,

I think the above-quoted line is the key issue here. If you feel that your child is getting all they need for your purposes by moving more quickly through FFL, that is one way to approach the program. However, I would like quote the MPOA director on the benefits of spending a full high-school year on FFL and each following Form, for those who would like to go that route:

Originally posted by Spiland
                There are zero universal standards as to what constitutes a foreign language credit regarding ... a classical language like Latin. The most common factor used to determine credits is the hours spent on the subject, not the amount of material covered. Some people might fault us for not covering as much material as other schools, but experience has shown us both at our physical school (Highlands Latin School) and our online school (Memoria Press Online Academy) that our students come out with significantly more mastery than those that just spend two years studying the grammar before they move into translation. My own background is in classical languages and I wouldn't hesitate to have my own children count First, Second, Third, and Fourth Form Latin as 4 high school credits of language if they were just starting in high school.
                If you are not comfortable counting FFL as one high-school credit based on the way you are using it, that is fine. However, we strongly believe that all Forms can be implemented so that they are worth one credit each.
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

For Henle, is it still standard to only give 2 credits for completion of Henle 1 even if you use the guides which takes 3 years? Or like with with form series, give 1 credit for each guide completed?

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by generalsparky View Post
                    For Henle, is it still standard to only give 2 credits for completion of Henle 1 even if you use the guides which takes 3 years? Or like with with form series, give 1 credit for each guide completed?

Kelly
                    A high-school student should be able to complete Units 1-2 (the first guide) and 3-5 (the second guide) in a semester each. Thus, I would recoomend a half credit for those first two guides, and one credit for the third guide covering Units 6-14, for a final total of two credits.
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you, Michael! I will light the fire under the slacker kid ;-)

(And he really isn't a slacker, we just moved 2 times in 10 months, one of those moves to another state after my husband retired from the military. It's been a crazy 18 months for us!)

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by generalsparky View Post
                        Thank you, Michael! I will light the fire under the slacker kid ;-)

(And he really isn't a slacker, we just moved 2 times in 10 months, one of those moves to another state after my husband retired from the military. It's been a crazy 18 months for us!)

Kelly
                        Youre welcome, and that does sound like a crazy 18 months!
                        Michael
                        Memoria Press

Comment

I am filling out NCAA eligibility for my homeschooled high school senior. I am VERY confident that the Form Series is high school work (!!) but would love a statement from Memoria Press to back it up. Where on your website might I cut and paste your position statement that this is high school credit? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by fn220 View Post
                            I am filling out NCAA eligibility for my homeschooled high school senior. I am VERY confident that the Form Series is high school work (!!) but would love a statement from Memoria Press to back it up. Where on your website might I cut and paste your position statement that this is high school credit? Thank you!
                            Are you using the Online Academy? If so, see the last sentence of the Description on the class page. Here's a link to First Form.

If you are using our curriculum on your own, high school credit for the Forms depends on implementation, as discussed earlier in this thread. Paul Schaeffer has written elsewhere on our forum that "Credits are assigned by the amount of time dedicated to a subject in the schedule. For HLS, if a class is in session at least 3 hours a week, it is a full credit. If it is in session 1-1.5 hours a week, it is a half credit. Homeschoolers have room to wiggle in this regard. Your student might not actually spend 3 hours a week on something but the amount of work could be worth a credit. 3 hours is just a guideline."

Does that answer your question? If not, please feel free to follow up!
                            Michael
                            Memoria Press

Comment

Michael,
                              Are you considering First Form Latin to be equivalent to a full year of HS Latin I? I am going to agree with Momgineer that each of the Forms levels is the equivalent of a half year of high school Latin. The Forms Series does not contain the literature element or translation work of high school Latin. I have had two ten-year-olds complete First Form.
                              Completing all four of the Forms is like completing Henle First Year. Kolbe gives one year of High School credit for that, with some of Henle I carrying over into the second year of high school Latin. If you base credits for a course on how much time a student puts into completing the work, that would be very subjective and potentially misleading.
                              Blessings,
                              Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
                              DD23
                              DS20
                              DS18
                              DS15
                              DD13
                              DS11
                              DD8

Comment

Working...