Q about subjunctive use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q about subjunctive use

Thank you so much, Mr. Cothran, for your answer to my ubi/quo/unde question!

Now I have another one. My dd and I were working through exercise 334 #2. The English is "For the sake of peace Caesar left garrisons in the states which he had pacified. The, however, Caesar hastened into Italy. When this had been learned by the Gauls, new plans were approved by them..."

My question: In the first sentence, the dependent clause 'which he had pacified' was translated using the indicative. In the 3rd sentence "When this had been learned by the Gauls" was translated in the subjunctive passive. I understand the passive part. But I am unclear when to use the subjunctive in dependent clauses. I certainly appreciate any clarification you can give.

I think that my dd is rapidly outpacing me in this Latin. I took the required 3 semesters of Latin in college, but I don't remember learning any of this. Have I just forgotten, or is this relatively advanced work? She is only 13 and understands it better than I do.

Thanks so much
    Donna

Donna,

The section of the 3rd sentence you refer to is in the passive pluperfect, not the subjunctive passive. I think that's where you were confused.

In regard to your college Latin experience, I would venture to say that your college course emphasized translation as opposed to grammar. Our courses are rather grammar intensive.

Thanks.

Martin

Originally posted by three_angels
    Thank you so much, Mr. Cothran, for your answer to my ubi/quo/unde question!

Now I have another one. My dd and I were working through exercise 334 #2. The English is "For the sake of peace Caesar left garrisons in the states which he had pacified. The, however, Caesar hastened into Italy. When this had been learned by the Gauls, new plans were approved by them..."

My question: In the first sentence, the dependent clause 'which he had pacified' was translated using the indicative. In the 3rd sentence "When this had been learned by the Gauls" was translated in the subjunctive passive. I understand the passive part. But I am unclear when to use the subjunctive in dependent clauses. I certainly appreciate any clarification you can give.

I think that my dd is rapidly outpacing me in this Latin. I took the required 3 semesters of Latin in college, but I don't remember learning any of this. Have I just forgotten, or is this relatively advanced work? She is only 13 and understands it better than I do.

Thanks so much
    Donna

Comment

Working...
    X