Slightly OT: Paying for College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slightly OT: Paying for College

Totally new to this forum, and yes, my kids are nowhere near college age (oldest is 4...haha). However, I do have something to add to this thread, coming from personal background! I was homeschooled my whole life, coming from a family that was not financially capable of paying for any part of my or my sibling's college educations. Lo and behold, College of the Ozarks was introduced to us. A very well-respected, private Christian college in Branson, Missouri.
    C of O is a work-study college, where students are required to work an allotted number of hours each week on campus in order to "pay" for their tuition. Some students are also able to work 6-12 40-hours work weeks during the summer to pay for room and board.
    The education there is outstanding and enriching, and is affiliated with School of the Ozarks (currently grades 7-12) which provides a classical, Christian education.

I graduated debt-free out of Nursing school from C of O, and have since been grateful for the education I received there! They offer much more than just classes, but enriching activities and trips students can apply to. My professors became mentors, and fellow students became like family. It was a rigorous and fairly strict program, but the benefits completely out-weighed any negative I may have come upon.

Anyway, that's my little plug for those families who are looking for an enriching, Christian, College education with little to no debt involved

https://www.cofo.edu

Comment

Thank you very much for your little plug. I will have to put that on my research list. I noticed that they are in the process of getting their engineering program accredited. I really like the idea of an engineering program within a liberal arts college. It is sort of the best of both worlds.

Welcome to the forum!

Dorinda
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

You just made my dd12's DAY! She is obsessed with living in the Ozarks and I am obsessed with not saddling my children (or myself) with debt for a college education. Woo hoo! Another school to add to the *short* list!
        Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I forgot all about that college. Thanks for the reminder! We are just a few hours from there, too.
          Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
          DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
          DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
          DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
          Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Comment

I just read about the College of the Ozarks recently ... Hard Work U, they called it.
            Ora et labora,
            Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Berea College in Kentucky is a work study college too. Your income level has to be low to get in, I believe, but it has a reputation for being a good school here.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                You just made my dd12's DAY! She is obsessed with living in the Ozarks and I am obsessed with not saddling my children (or myself) with debt for a college education. Woo hoo! Another school to add to the *short* list!
                Win win situation right there!

Comment

Originally posted by chapulina View Post
                  I just read about the College of the Ozarks recently ... Hard Work U, they called it.
                  Hey, makes for a great tagline line during a post-graduate job interview! They'll love it!

Comment

Ooooh, lookey what I found: http://www.deepsprings.edu/about/

That is my son's dream. Actually, it's my husband's, too. A combination of manual labor, solid academics and no tuition? I'm in!
                    Last edited by Mary; 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM. Reason: Use a comma, save a life.
                    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

We loved Branson when we lived in Missouri...friends had yearly passes to Silver Dollar City and would take us with their guest passes. Soooo beautiful, and SDC was the BEST family day!

Thank you for sharing that....I had never heard of it!

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 8
                      DD, 6
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

Hi Fellow MP Moms Stressing about College,

I love this thread and am glad it has evolved with such wonderful thoughts, advice and tips. Thank you. (Not that I'm any less stressed about how in the world we'll swing it for my teen to one day go to college.) My son is about to enter the MP HS Diploma Program, so I guess we'll be spending a good part of what could have been spent on college by doing the MPOA HS Diploma Program. This son happens to have exited the womb a classical studies kid and has always been cut from that cloth so to speak. He's convinced he wants to be a history teacher, although he's been told ever since he was 3 that he was headed for seminary. He's one of those old souls, if that makes sense. Anyway.... I went to a local Circe Institute Andrew Kern/Matt Bianco day here in Virginia early last year 2016 and Matt was discussing his hopes his son would get into Belmont Abbey's Honors Program. I was immediately intrigued as I'd never heard of it. Rushed home and started researching. Here's a link for anyone interested, especially our Catholic families here. It's a small college with high rankings outside of Charlotte attached to a Benedictine Abbey. We are highly intrigued because my son's patron saint is Benedict (something his priest insisted he be upon our conversion a couple years back) and has a real love for Saint Benedict. We also attend a Western Rite Orthodox Church and use Gregorian Chant, etc.

http://belmontabbeycollege.edu/bisho...aidfellowship/

So there are a couple interesting things about this place....their Honors Institute provides a lot of scholarship money to make it relatively cheap. The other program is something they are rolling out I think for the upcoming Fall. Haid Fellowship where the tuition is reduced 60% because the student spends the summer before starting college there on campus to get settled and to bond with the rest of the incoming Freshmen. Then goes back home and does Freshman year at home online with Belmont. Then back for another couple years on campus and finished in a total of 3 years. Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Anyway, we plan to definitely look into it but I'm glad we have a couple more years before it all begins to climax for us. And on top of all this.....this whole college thing is part of why we decided to have our son be in transition this year and are considering next year 9th grade. He'll be 19 1/2 when he finishes the MPOA HS Diploma Program. Which I'm more than fine with. In fact, I'm already doing the happy dance!

Cyber hugs all around,
                        Susan P in VA

Comment

Just thought I'd share this- bear in mind the $13,000 tuition, fees, room and board is in Canadian dollars...as would be all additional expenses. I have heard lots of Americans are coming up here for that reason. https://www.seatofwisdom.ca/admissions/tuition/

They just recently got accredited to offer a Bachelors-
                          Last edited by Girlnumber20; 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM.
                          DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
                          DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Our Lady Seat of Wisdom in Barry's Bay (a couple of hours outside of Ottawa), is in a beautiful location. Although I don't know if much school would get done for my girls, as they would probably keep wandering out to Algonquin park to go x-country skiing or canoeing. It's proximity to Madonna House also makes it worth the visit. We have not been there in years, which is odd, considering we visit the ottawa valley so frequently. I do wish that they had more established infrastructure, but I suppose this will come with time. 13,000 is not a lot, with board included. I was looking at queen's and their science programs start at 27,000$ a year, which is in the high range for Canada, but this is one of the more competitive universities. But I digress, is Our Lady the only Catholic college in Canada?

I have also heard that a lot of our American friends are coming north, especially with the exchange being in their favour. I have also heard that it is because they don't like the political climate in the US. Which is funny because sometimes I don't like the political climate here and want to do the opposite. There has been, for years, a drain of canadian intellectuals going south. I can count dozens of friends who have moved to the US, because Americans know how to innovate and their post secondary education is much better.
                            Last edited by Aquila; 06-10-2017, 07:49 AM.
                            Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
                            Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Working...
                            X