Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
    Courtney,
    How often will you meet to teach the lesson? That will affect my answer.
    Will you will meet in person once a week (4 lessons)?
    or
    Will you meet in person twice a week (2 lessons each meeting)?
    or
    Will you meet in person for every lesson?
    We will meet once a week going over four lessons. I’m hoping to cover the material in an hour and a half, but we can stretch it out to two hours if needed. I’ll have students take the Q&T outside of class.
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

Courtney,
      Since you are meeting once a week, I recommend a flipped classroom, which includes some practices you suggested.
      1) students study assigned lesson, writing definitions, theorems, rules, etc. in their notes. They should also work out all example problems into their notes, thinking about each step as they write.
      2) students work the "try this" problems in the lesson and check their answers in the back.
      3) if questions emerge at this point, they should try to get help, either from you by email or from a family member or friend who is available to them.
      4) student works the assigned homework problems. Check answers to odds in the back of the text. Mark any missed problems with blue pen. Try to find their mistake and correct, using blue pen. Any problems they cannot figure out, should be marked with a blue question mark (?) in the margin. They will ask you about those problems at the weekly meeting.
      5) At the weekly meeting, go over any answers that were not in the back of the book. Answer any questions the students have. Work extra problems if more practice is needed. Have them give you "next steps" as you work the problems on the board. They should not be watching passively, but actively engaged in the problem solving and writing everything you write on the board, while thinking about it.
      6) If time permits, you can "preview" some of the coming week's lessons. But realistically, you cannot teach 4 lessons ahead. They need to practice the skills in 4.2 before learning the lesson in 4.4 (generally speaking). So the burden falls on the student to learn from the textbook. This is excellent preparation for college level learning, so it should not be viewed as a negative. The benefit of the weekly meeting is to hold them accountable and give them an opportunity to ask questions and see solutions they could not figure out on their own.
      Cindy Davis
      Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
      ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
      ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
      dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Cindy,
        Thanks for outlining a plan for me, I really appreciate it. I’m so glad you check the forum often, I may be calling on you for help as the difficulty increases through the year.
        Joyfully, Courtney
        DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

Working...
        X