Prentice Hall Algebra 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prentice Hall Algebra 2

Is there any value in having the Teacher's Edition for this text? I found the student text for an incredible price, but the TM is expensive. Thanks in advance to anyone with any advice.

Re: Prentice Hall Algebra 2

We don't have a TM, and are doing ok without it. But we have hit a couple spots that have even had me scratching my head!! Thankfully my daughter is persistent, we have a teacher we can bug over email, and we have figured things out.

I *think* you will be okay....but always keep in mind the forum is here if you get to a rough spot. We were doing ellipses yesterday....ugh!!!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

I have not used this particular textbook, but if I were going to spend the money and could only pick one, I would pop for a worked out algebra 2 solutions manual over the teacher's edition any day of the week. It is a bit of a pain, but if you call Pearson directly they will email you a form to state you are a homeschool teacher and sell you the solutions manual. I just looked it up for this text and it is $47. The teacher manual will give teaching tips best suited for classroom use, assignment (MP did this already), and all answers. Generally, it will NOT provide worked out solutions or graphs. If I dig out something to help, I usually am looking for the intermediate steps taken to get the answer.

Dorinda
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

that is an awesome suggestion, Dorinda! I did not know you could do that!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

Thank you, Sarah and Dorinda. I have not used the Prentice Hall text before for this level. We are just finishing Algebra I and I am doubting myself a bit. I am leaning toward buying another inexpensive student text and keeping a lesson or two ahead of my daughter. In theory, a good idea ... In the fall, I will not have my son to answer the higher level math questions anymore, because he is off to college. So I will have to keep up on a daily basis as it gets harder each year for me to just jump in when I have not been part of the process. I do not remember ever giving my older kids permission to leave me after I educated them, leaving me to educate the rest by myself.

Comment

If you are a math person and feel confident teaching Algebra, you might be able to get away without the Teacher Guide for this course. Otherwise, you will want to get it.

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              I have not used this particular textbook, but if I were going to spend the money and could only pick one, I would pop for a worked out algebra 2 solutions manual over the teacher's edition any day of the week. It is a bit of a pain, but if you call Pearson directly they will email you a form to state you are a homeschool teacher and sell you the solutions manual. I just looked it up for this text and it is $47. The teacher manual will give teaching tips best suited for classroom use, assignment (MP did this already), and all answers. Generally, it will NOT provide worked out solutions or graphs. If I dig out something to help, I usually am looking for the intermediate steps taken to get the answer.

Dorinda
              This is an excellent suggestion, Dorinda! I didn't know this was available, so thanks for sharing! I caution the OP not to hand the solutions manual over to your student, however. You can work together on puzzling problems, as Sarah described (and YOU can look at the solution to help determine the next step). AND you can ask questions on the forum; others will be able to chime in with help.
              Cindy Davis
              Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
              ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
              ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
              dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Dorinda
                Do you know if they have this for Algebra 1 as well? That would be a huge help when we get there!!
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
                MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
                MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
                As above, plus:
                MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
                MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                  Do you know if they have this for Algebra 1 as well? That would be a huge help when we get there!!
                  Yes- we picked it up from Amazon for a good price. The PH book is not our main book, but our secondary text for if we are scratching our heads in our primary book. We use the solutions as Cindy described.
                  Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

i find solution manuals for math texts vary widely in price on Amazon. Quite often there are a couple out there for ridiculous prices (150+) and sometimes there will be one cheap from someone trying to move it. I purchased one for $60 on half.com for the mcdougal little algebra 2 text when I was tutoring my niece. It was very helpful as the textbook explanations were next to worthless. I also searched topics on khan academy to refresh my memory before working with her. When my daughter started Foerster I couldn't find a reasonably priced copy so I contacted Pearson directly.

Dorinda
                    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

i find solution manuals for math texts vary widely in price on Amazon. Quite often there are a couple out there for ridiculous prices (150+) and sometimes there will be one cheap from someone trying to move it. I purchased one for $60 on half.com for the mcdougal little algebra 2 text when I was tutoring my niece. It was very helpful as the textbook explanations were next to worthless. I also searched topics on khan academy to refresh my memory before working with her. When my daughter started Foerster I couldn't find a reasonably priced copy so I contacted Pearson directly.

Dorinda
                      To avoid confusion, I want to point out that Pearson offers (at least) 2 books under their PH Classics Algebra2 line. Dorinda uses the Foerster algebra2 book, so the solutions manual she mentioned is for that author, not for Smith, which is the algebra2 book in the MP core curriculum. MP chose the Smith title and tested it at Louisville HLS before creating the support materials for the core curriculum package. Users who contact Pearson about the solutions manual (or purchase it used) should verify it is for the correct algebra2 text. The Foerster solutions won't help you if you are using Smith (and vice versa). Use the ISBN number as well as author's name to be sure you order the correct manual.
                      Cindy Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
                        To avoid confusion, I want to point out that Pearson offers (at least) 2 books under their PH Classics Algebra2 line. Dorinda uses the Foerster algebra2 book, so the solutions manual she mentioned is for that author, not for Smith, which is the algebra2 book in the MP core curriculum. MP chose the Smith title and tested it at Louisville HLS before creating the support materials for the core curriculum package. Users who contact Pearson about the solutions manual (or purchase it used) should verify it is for the correct algebra2 text. The Foerster solutions won't help you if you are using Smith (and vice versa). Use the ISBN number as well as author's name to be sure you order the correct manual.
                        Cindy,
                        You are correct that I do use Foerster, but as Pearson seems to have bought every school based math text on the market the ordering policies and processes are the same. I did look up the availability for the Smith text and that was the price I quoted. I am attempting to attach a link to the page for the Smith textbook (you can see the picture) and if you click shop you can see the purchase options and associated isbns if you want to search for used copies.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.c...rogramId=18781

Dorinda
                        Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

And if I can just jump in here re: the recommended PH Algebra text MP uses....don't assume you have to pay full price. I purchased my son's current Algebra 1 text off eBay for $7 and it came in what I'd consider "good" condition. I jumped at the chance to get the Algebra 2 text off Amazon listed as "very good" for $8.50 and it arrives this weekend, even though we won't need it until Fall. Just for all you thrifty, bargain-hunters, like me.

Cindy, is it okay to ask why MP chose the PH Classics text it chose over Foerster? Only asking because I've read countless stories in classical forums where people rave about the Foerster edition.

SusanP

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
                            And if I can just jump in here re: the recommended PH Algebra text MP uses....don't assume you have to pay full price. I purchased my son's current Algebra 1 text off eBay for $7 and it came in what I'd consider "good" condition. I jumped at the chance to get the Algebra 2 text off Amazon listed as "very good" for $8.50 and it arrives this weekend, even though we won't need it until Fall. Just for all you thrifty, bargain-hunters, like me.

Cindy, is it okay to ask why MP chose the PH Classics text it chose over Foerster? Only asking because I've read countless stories in classical forums where people rave about the Foerster edition.

SusanP
                            Susan,
                            I was not involved in the process of choosing the Algebra texts, so I don't have the specifics on "why". The mathematics expert at Louisville reviewed many available texts (at Mrs. Cheryl Lowe's request), and he chose Smith. It is a fine text, with many clear examples for the student to study. From my observation, Foerster employs more of a "discovery" approach, where Smith employs a direct approach: here is what to do, this is why to do it. Direct instruction is a "core value" of MP's approach to math education.
                            Cindy
                            Cindy Davis

Comment

Cindy,
                              You are correct that I do use Foerster, but as Pearson seems to have bought every school based math text on the market the ordering policies and processes are the same. I did look up the availability for the Smith text and that was the price I quoted. I am attempting to attach a link to the page for the Smith textbook (you can see the picture) and if you click shop you can see the purchase options and associated isbns if you want to search for used copies.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.c...rogramId=18781

Dorinda
                              Thank you, Dorinda, for going the extra mile to look up the link for MP PH Classics (Smith) users. You are a blessing!
                              Cindy
                              Cindy Davis

Comment

Working...
                              X