Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: science on the accelerated vs. moderated track

Originally posted by mamathompson View Post
    I just stumbled across this in my planning and researching for next year. My daughter is going into 6M. I'm a bit confused after looking at the pdf. If the goal is to be in Physical Science in 8th grade it appears there are three options:
    1. Add Exploring Planet Earth to her 6M module.
    2. Skip 6M and move to 7M trying to add in What's That Bird? and History of Medicine as summer classes over the next few summers. Doing Earth Science in 7th.
    3. Skipping Book of Trees and Exploring the World of Biology in favor of Novare Earth Science in 7th grade.

The current package offerings have Novare Physical Science scheduled in 9th grade. What is the reason for it being moved into 8th grade? Will the packages be changed to reflect the pdf plans? What situations would the alternate science plans be used in? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be sure I understand things. I know I have plenty of time before we are into high school, but I like to look ahead and make sure we are on track for where we will want to be.
    Thanks,
    Rachel
    Rachel,
    You will have several options for your daughter, depending on her science aptitude, interest, and future goals. Ana is correct, MP is developing and expanding the upper-level science courses for the packages. There will be multiple options because student needs for science can vary widely. The high school science sequence depends on the student's progress in math. Students who successfully complete algebra in 8th grade (earn an A), can take an advanced science track. Students who successfully complete algebra in 9th grade (earn an A or B), will take a "grade level" science track. Students who are struggling in math (and/or reading) may choose to take an "alternate" science track.

I am off to church and then our school open house today. But I will try to sketch out a suggested plan for your daughter later today or tomorrow. Can you tell me whether you expect her to take pre-algebra in 7th grade? or take R&S math 7, with pre-algebra in 8th grade? Also can you tell me how strong a reader she is? Her aptitude will influence my recommendation.

And don't worry, MP will offer different options, customizable for your student, that will prepare her well for college and other future pursuits!
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-25 college graduate: independent young adult
    ds-24 college graduate: 2nd year med school
    dd-22 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Hi Cindy,
      Thanks for helping me figure this out and answering my questions. I guess my larger question is why Physical Science is offered as the 9th grade program in the cores and is listed as the 8th grade program in the pdf? Is it because MP is working on higher level sciences that will eventually move Physical Science to 8th? This has been our first year using mostly MP and we have loved it, and are planning to stick with it. I want to make sure that if we need to adjust the Core offerings to be on the track preferred by MP we do that when necessary.
      To answer your questions. We stuck with the math program we were currently using when we switched to MP. She is doing CLE Math and will finish halfway through 6th grade level this year. I have yet to decide if she will do College of the Redwoods Pre Algebra in 7th or finish up CLE pre algebra. I anticipate her to be ready for Algebra I in 8th. In the past we have been hit or miss with different Science options. Science is my least favorite subject to teach which obviously influences our schooling. This year has been our happiest with my daughter in Insects and my son in Mammals. She loves Insects, but I don't know just how interested in science she is in general. She reads at or near college level.
      Again thanks for answering my questions.
      Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by mamathompson View Post
        Hi Cindy,
        Thanks for helping me figure this out and answering my questions. I guess my larger question is why Physical Science is offered as the 9th grade program in the cores and is listed as the 8th grade program in the pdf? Is it because MP is working on higher level sciences that will eventually move Physical Science to 8th? This has been our first year using mostly MP and we have loved it, and are planning to stick with it. I want to make sure that if we need to adjust the Core offerings to be on the track preferred by MP we do that when necessary.
        To answer your questions. We stuck with the math program we were currently using when we switched to MP. She is doing CLE Math and will finish halfway through 6th grade level this year. I have yet to decide if she will do College of the Redwoods Pre Algebra in 7th or finish up CLE pre algebra. I anticipate her to be ready for Algebra I in 8th. In the past we have been hit or miss with different Science options. Science is my least favorite subject to teach which obviously influences our schooling. This year has been our happiest with my daughter in Insects and my son in Mammals. She loves Insects, but I don't know just how interested in science she is in general. She reads at or near college level.
        Again thanks for answering my questions.
        Rachel
        Rachel,
        To answer your broader question, Physical Science is better suited for 8th grade, leaving Intro Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology (or Vector Physics) for grades 9-12. Physical Science was placed in the 9th grade program initially because it was ready to go. As the other lesson plans are written, Physical Science will move to 8th grade, where it is a better fit. As noted on the pdf, Earth Science and Physical Science *can* be completed for high school credit, and *may* be chosen for students who need more support.

I think your recommendation is pretty straightforward. If I were in your shoes, I would select Trees and Exploring World of Biology for 6th grade, Novare Earth Science for 7th grade, Novare Physical Science for 8th grade. You will be able to choose the appropriate science module in future curriculum packages (it will not be locked in). This means you will skip Birds and history of Medicine. Since I love those books, I would use them in the summer with my child, but not do the full course (for example, I would omit quizzes and tests). You won't need Planet Earth, because Novare Earth Science covers that subject more thoroughly.

If you do not care for Novare Earth Science, then I would select the following:
        6th: Birds, History of Medicine, and Planet Earth
        7th: Trees and Exploring World of Biology
        8th: Novare Physical Science

So glad you have found MP and are enjoying your first year! The rewards will multiply as the years go on.
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-25 college graduate: independent young adult
        ds-24 college graduate: 2nd year med school
        dd-22 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
          Rachel,
          To answer your broader question, Physical Science is better suited for 8th grade, leaving Intro Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology (or Vector Physics) for grades 9-12. Physical Science was placed in the 9th grade program initially because it was ready to go. As the other lesson plans are written, Physical Science will move to 8th grade, where it is a better fit. As noted on the pdf, Earth Science and Physical Science *can* be completed for high school credit, and *may* be chosen for students who need more support.

I think your recommendation is pretty straightforward. If I were in your shoes, I would select Trees and Exploring World of Biology for 6th grade, Novare Earth Science for 7th grade, Novare Physical Science for 8th grade. You will be able to choose the appropriate science module in future curriculum packages (it will not be locked in). This means you will skip Birds and history of Medicine. Since I love those books, I would use them in the summer with my child, but not do the full course (for example, I would omit quizzes and tests). You won't need Planet Earth, because Novare Earth Science covers that subject more thoroughly.

If you do not care for Novare Earth Science, then I would select the following:
          6th: Birds, History of Medicine, and Planet Earth
          7th: Trees and Exploring World of Biology
          8th: Novare Physical Science

So glad you have found MP and are enjoying your first year! The rewards will multiply as the years go on.
          Thank you! I appreciate the help in determining the science path for her. Off to research Novare Earth Science!
          Rachel

Comment

Working...
          X