Where to go after AP Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go after AP Latin?

Hi. My daughter will be ready to take the online AP Latin class next year as a junior. What options does she have for Latin study her senior year? She's been doing Latin with MP since first grade. I'm having a hard time reconciling that for her last year of home school she won't be studying Latin. This is mostly due to my slighlty OCD tendencies. "We've been doing Latin all of this time. How can we not do it the last year?!" Seems so incomplete to me. lol

Thanks.

Re: Where to go after AP Latin?

Originally posted by runner girl View Post
    Hi. My daughter will be ready to take the online AP Latin class next year as a junior. What options does she have for Latin study her senior year? She's been doing Latin with MP since first grade. I'm having a hard time reconciling that for her last year of home school she won't be studying Latin. This is mostly due to my slighlty OCD tendencies. "We've been doing Latin all of this time. How can we not do it the last year?!" Seems so incomplete to me. lol

Thanks.
    Has she done Cicero yet? I took AP Latin in 11th too, and did Cicero the following year. It was actually relaxing after AP, and I still learned a lot. Any upper-level translation course she has yet to do would be great.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Hi Michael. Thanks for the info. She did Henle II through the MP online academy last year and is in the Henle III online this year so she is translating Cicero this year. Is this what you are referring to, or is there more Cicero to translate?

Comment

Originally posted by runner girl View Post
        Hi Michael. Thanks for the info. She did Henle II through the MP online academy last year and is in the Henle III online this year so she is translating Cicero this year. Is this what you are referring to, or is there more Cicero to translate?
        No, I was referring to the Henle III class. However, I just spoke with Mr. Piland and he is looking into offering an Ovid class, perhaps as early as next year (2017-2018). We have a text that is currently being tested at HLS, so we need to see how it works. Then, we have to see if there's enough interest at MPOA to offer the class. But, we are considering it. Hopefully it will be ready by the time your daughter finishes AP. Ovid would be a good follow-up to that class. In fact, I think in some ways Ovid is harder than Vergil, but that may just be me
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Um, so now I have a question. We have a Latin teacher for our cottage school who is great. She is combining my two with another high schooler - so they are really reviewing all of Henle I and then going to cover the grammar of Henle II.

But for my kids, she is also giving them extra translation exercises from Caesar and some poetry to keep them busy.

What do I have them do next? Are they ready for an AP Latin class next year? And if so, what guidance do I give my teacher for content?

She also gave my son a book of Cicero, "just for fun." He is loving it. He came to me yesterday and said he was trying to write it out as he was reading it but then decided it was just more interesting to simply read it. He is quickly becoming a fan.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            Um, so now I have a question. We have a Latin teacher for our cottage school who is great. She is combining my two with another high schooler - so they are really reviewing all of Henle I and then going to cover the grammar of Henle II.

But for my kids, she is also giving them extra translation exercises from Caesar and some poetry to keep them busy.

What do I have them do next? Are they ready for an AP Latin class next year? And if so, what guidance do I give my teacher for content?

She also gave my son a book of Cicero, "just for fun." He is loving it. He came to me yesterday and said he was trying to write it out as he was reading it but then decided it was just more interesting to simply read it. He is quickly becoming a fan.

AMDG,
            Sarah
            That's great your son loves Cicero!

As for you question, some students are ready right after Caesar. Others need some more time, and Henle III (Cicero) is a great class for those students. As for your teacher, has she taught AP Latin before? If not, I would probably call the office and talk to Paul for more specific advice on organizing an AP class in a school setting. He's on vacation the rest of this week but will be back next week.
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Ok, sounds good. I will not worry about it right now then, but keep that in mind for planning.

Thanks!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
              DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months

Comment

Thanks, Michael. Looking forward to seeing more info on the Ovid class as it becomes available. We'll keep it on the radar.

Comment

Working...
                X