High School History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School History

What do all you do for high school history? Like your scope and sequence? We're using the 9th grade package this year which brings A Concise History of the American Republic (year one) and I'm guessing the 10th grade will have year two. I'm curious to see what other moms plans are for High School History

Re: High School History

Hi, Marlene.

No one has answered your question, so I'm going to bump it by telling you our HLS school plan for history. Our students do the Concise History American studies in 9th and 10th grades, as you've figured out. Then, our students do 2 years of European history using a 2 volume high school text. At the same time, they continue their classical studies with Greek Tragedies in 9th, Cicero in 10th, metaphysics in 11th, and Art and Architecture in 12th. And we continue Christian studies as they continue to study early church history. Lots of history at HLS!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hi, Marlene.

No one has answered your question, so I'm going to bump it by telling you our HLS school plan for history. Our students do the Concise History American studies in 9th and 10th grades, as you've figured out. Then, our students do 2 years of European history using a 2 volume high school text. At the same time, they continue their classical studies with Greek Tragedies in 9th, Cicero in 10th, metaphysics in 11th, and Art and Architecture in 12th. And we continue Christian studies as they continue to study early church history. Lots of history at HLS!

Tanya
      Oh that is fantastic! We love history here, which is what drew us to Memoria Press Homeschool curriculum. We've adored it and used it for a few years now. It's just so wonderful! I'm curious - most colleges ask for economics/government and some geography too - at what point is this woven in? I'm guessing these are tied into one of these four years? Or would these be something I should look into supplementing with?

Comment

Hello.

We would consider Cicero's The Republic and the Laws and On Obligations to be our government course. Our students complete this course in 10th or 11th grade. And we have Geography III (which our students complete in 7th grade after 3 years of geography in grammar school). If your high schooler hasn't done a geography course, you might consider Geography III as a semester-long (1/2 credit) course. Or, if you want to make it more challenging for a full credit, there are enrichment (honors) activities that involve research and the Robinson Map Project that involves learning to free-hand draw the world that you could add to the basic work.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X