First Form Greek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Form Greek

My son has only done the Greek Alphabet, we would probably need to review. But we have not done any Latin. We are Orthodox Christians and Greek language is used sometimes in the church services we attend. Can my 9th grade son use this program without having any Latin previously?

Thanks a bunch.

Re: First Form Greek

Originally posted by Nancy Ann View Post
    My son has only done the Greek Alphabet, we would probably need to review. But we have not done any Latin. We are Orthodox Christians and Greek language is used sometimes in the church services we attend. Can my 9th grade son use this program without having any Latin previously?

Thanks a bunch.
    It would be very helpful to have Latin, but a 9th grader could probably do FFG without Latin. Just be open to slowing down as necessary.

Note that our program teaches Koine (Biblical) Greek in order to prepare students to read the Septuagint and Greek New Testament. Koine Greek is not mutually intelligible with modern Greek. You can view samples of the text/listen to a sample of the pronunciation CD on our website to get an idea of the differences. I am not sure what type of Greek Orthodox Christians use.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks, I am going to have to check on that. I thought it was Koine because the bible readings and service readings which are very, very old are chanted during services and so I have always thought it was Koine. But, I better make sure about that. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I wonder if off hand you know if "Kyrie Eleison" which means Lord have mercy, is of the Koine or modern Greek. That is said alot during the service. I can still find out for myself by asking around at the church. But this just came to mind right now and maybe you would know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Ann View Post
          I wonder if off hand you know if "Kyrie Eleison" which means Lord have mercy, is of the Koine or modern Greek. That is said alot during the service. I can still find out for myself by asking around at the church. But this just came to mind right now and maybe you would know.
          Grammatically it is ancient Greek.
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
            X