Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do some colleges not accept Latin as a foreign language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do some colleges not accept Latin as a foreign language?

Someone in a homeschool group on Facebook said students shouldn't take Latin in high school unless they also take a modern language because many colleges don't count Latin for their foreign language requirements to be accepted- that they won't accept students who only had Latin but no modern language in high school. I had never heard of this. Our old public school offers Latin and I can't fathom that a public school would offer a class that keeps kids from getting into college. Are there actually college out there that require students to take a modern language in order to get accepted?
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Re: Do some colleges not accept Latin as a foreign language?

That old canard about Latin not being accepted is flung out there every so often in different discussions.The vast majority of colleges accept Latin. However, I think the Air Force Academy does not. Encourage the Facebook group to list colleges that do not accept Latin, with a link to that information on each college website. They will probably not take you up on that. Of course, parents/students should check the specific requirements for any college under serious consideration, before or early in high school.

Best.
    Bonnie

Comment

They confusion here often comes in what people mean by "accepting" Latin credits. Some colleges will not accept it as meeting their graduation requirement, meaning they expect the student to take a modern language in college, and even if they got a 5 on the AP Latin exam they won't grant college credit for it. The vast majority do however accept it as meeting the admissions requirement. Bonnie is correct, the Air Force Academy doesn't accept Latin as meeting the admissions requirement, which is why my older daughter is focusing on Russian instead of Latin. Every other school we have looked at does accept Latin as meeting the admission requirement. Of course, you should check the requirements of the individual schools to which you think your student is likely to apply.
      HTH!
      Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
      DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
      DD16; Rising Senior!

Comment

Thank you. You are reinforcing my take on it. The only school they said specifically was Air Force Academy (I think one said all service academies). All other examples given were requirements to graduate from college not get into. I challenged the idea that Latin isn't accepted on admissions and was told that "well schools around here don't accept it". Which means diddly squat.
        I also get told check with the specific college as if my freshman knows what college he wants to go to in four years! Most of my big kids applied to multiple schools and didn't even know till junior year what schools they would consider. Well that's too late. If you have done 3 years of Latin in high school and midway through junior year discover you need French or German then what?
        Anyway, I'm a bit more comfortable with sticking with Latin since no one there can seem to give me specific examples except service academies (which my son has no interest in).
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Simple Answer: Colleges that are not worth going to.
          More seriously, I have never heard of any college not recognizing Latin

Comment

I sure do wish that we could put this myth to rest--I read it everywhere!

I dug this out of a previous discussion I had with some people about this. At that time I asked my friend, whose son (one of my former students) is finishing up his 2nd year at the Air Force Academy, if he studied any other language besides Latin. She answered:
            "No, Josh did not have any other language prior to entering the Academy. They counted his Latin as a foreign language requirement. He is doing well, and has now studied Chinese for two years. (If you asked him) he would say, "I understand English grammar so much better because of my study of Latin. It has helped me become a better writer and has expanded my vocabulary."

She also said that the early AFA advisor they had (when their son was just a sophomore or so) mentioned that Latin might not count, but when they challenged him on it he did some digging and came back and said that it wasn't a problem! Then, when he actually sought admission to the academy, the fact that he only had Latin as a foreign language did not even come up.

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by cebiner View Post
              Simple Answer: Colleges that are not worth going to.
              More seriously, I have never heard of any college not recognizing Latin
              This made me giggle just a little. Great answer.
              Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
              DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
              DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
              DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
              DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
              DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Our oldest son was accepted to the 3 colleges he applied to with no questions - Xavier University in Cincinnati, Miami University of Ohio, and University of Cincinnati. He had only *chuckling of the irony of what she's about to say* Latin and Greek on his high school transcript for foreign languages.

Comment

Working...
                X