Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I knew I forgot something...Discovering Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew I forgot something...Discovering Music?

Ok back when I posted my 10th grade help thread something kept running round in the back of my head and I could not pin it down...

DD reminded me today...we did the first two weeks of Discovering Music last fall then moved and never got back to it and she really wants to restart it...if I remember it is designed to do over two semesters...anyone know if it is one credit or .5 or...?

I am wondering rather than making it a separate class could we do it more slowly and roll it into yr 10 and 11 history? Or I could push back the American History in one year we planned for this year from 10th to 11th and just do the Discovering Music this year...what would we need to add to make it a full credit? I only have 3 years of history planned in advance for the high-school years so there is a free slot...

I am just worried about overloading her by letting her do both since the schedule I posted in the other thread is really full...she tends to bite off a lot... she could do it I know and well enough but she would burn a lot of candles and I am trying to help her work on balance and pacing since she is looking to increase her work/volunteer time...it is funny how some of my kids are sort of over-motivated and others of my crew can hardly be bothered...

She definitely has that so many books so little time mentality and has been known to overstretch...it is hard making that call as a mom/teacher about when enough is enough when they are pushing for more.

anyhow thoughts?
    I am not sure how many of you have used DM yet...it really is lovely...
    Thanks!
    oh and since it is probably buried the original plan was here.
    Winter 2019 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 9 with remediation/support
    DD - core 6 with remediation/support
    DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Re: I knew I forgot something...Discovering Music?

Hello.

I feel like Discovering Music, completed in its entirety, could be a high school credit. I just looked on Professor Carol's website, and they assign it one credit too. It's a thorough study that will take some time if completed fully.

Tanya

Comment

Great!
      We will use that this fall making sure to cover it thoroughly the whole year.
      I should have checked her website!
      Winter 2019 :
      DD - Graduated!
      DS - core 9 with remediation/support
      DD - core 6 with remediation/support
      DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

If you think of it, and as the year goes on, let us know how it goes. I can't wait to do Discovering Music with my son sometime in the next year or two. And my understanding is the same as Tanya's, which is that it's definitely a full credit.

I LOVE Professor Carol. Her joy and enthusiasm is so contagious. She's the real deal. She tends to come to the VA homeschool convention in Richmond most summers and it's so fun to talk to her at her booth. She was even roped into being one of the music judges at the music competition in June and so my son has a hand-written judge's score sheet from her for his piano performance. Kinda fun.

Enjoy her class. I can't imagine it won't be a highlight of your year!

SusanP

Comment

Working...
        X