History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History

I'm planning for high school. I started homeschooling my 8th grader this year and began the 4 year cycle of history. He is developmentally delayed and dyslexic and LOVES history. The 4 year cycle will take him through 11th grade. He favorite is American History and I would like to have more than 1 year to cover it all more in depth. Does anyone have an opinion on teaching American History at the same time as world history (prior to the appropriate time in the cycle)? I don't want to confuse him. Thanks!

Re: History

Welcome! I'm sure some more experienced voices will chime in, but I will try a couple thoughts. MP doesn't really follow a 4 year cycle for History, but rather has an approach that combines some Classical History, Christian History, and Modern History nearly every year. It is a very successful program, which indicates to me that most MP students are not confused by studying different time periods at the same time. MP does spread high school US History over 2 years, which sounds like it would work well for your son.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Re: History

Hello.

Our students take 2 years of American history and 2 years of European history in high school, and they are continuing to have a classical studies class every year also. So we are history heavy. You can see what we do on our website: thelatinschool.org. Just click on the Academics tab and you can see all the subjects.

I would suggest that you look over all the options and just choose the history that your student can handle without being overwhelmed. We take 2 years to complete American history in high school because we do a little bit of a lot of subjects. We spread it out so that we can immerse our students in it over the long haul rather than squeezing an entire culture into a year.

I hope this helps.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
      X