EGR for high schoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR for high schoolers

I'm using parts of MP lit for a high school co-op (we don't have enough weeks to cover a whole year).

I discovered this week that most of them are pretty tenuous on their grammar. I have Warriener's third course, but I'm debating having them memorize and recite EGR instead. Thoughts? The volume of writing Warriner's generates would be a problem, but I had some mixing up a noun and a pronoun this week in Daily Grams.
    Last edited by bean; 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM.
    Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Re: EGR for high schoolers

Bean,

I think either plan would be fine. EGR would definitely be easier for you to work in since it isn't as time-consuming. And maybe what they need is just a little reminder of the basic grammar concepts that they will get with a walk-through of EGR. You could use EGR as your starting point, and then, if you feel the students need more practice on a particular rule, you can always add some exercises from Warriner.

Tanya

Comment

Would it make sense to treat it as a weekly quiz? I would need to retype all the questions, but there are only 156 of them.
      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

You could do it as a weekly quiz, but you could do it orally. Make flashcards out of the rules, and then put them in a bag. Draw one for each student to recite or at least answer questions about. Then you don't have to grade papers! And I found that students study harder for one-question oral quizzes because they don't want to be embarrassed!

Just an idea ...

Tanya

Comment

LOL. I'm all about grading fewer papers.
          Bean. Long time MP user.

Comment

Working...
          X