Henle Latin Ex. 270 #6 w/ finitimus a um and 'ad'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henle Latin Ex. 270 #6 w/ finitimus a um and 'ad'

I am confused with the ending of finitimas (acc. pl.) in #6 instead of finitimis (dat. pl.). I realize that 'ad' takes the acc., but 'finitimus a um' takes the dative.

He sent envoys to all the neighboring tribes.
    Legatos ad omnes gentes finitimas misit.

Does the 'ad' requirement of acc. case trump the 'finitimus a um' requirement of the dative case? Or is there something else I am not understanding?

Thanks for your help!

Brenda

Re: Henle Latin Ex. 270 #6 w/ finitimus a um and 'ad'

Originally posted by omma View Post
    I am confused with the ending of finitimas (acc. pl.) in #6 instead of finitimis (dat. pl.). I realize that 'ad' takes the acc., but 'finitimus a um' takes the dative.

He sent envoys to all the neighboring tribes.
    Legatos ad omnes gentes finitimas misit.

Does the 'ad' requirement of acc. case trump the 'finitimus a um' requirement of the dative case? Or is there something else I am not understanding?

Thanks for your help!

Brenda
    When Henle says that finitimus takes the dative, he means that the OBJECT of finitimus is in the dative. So if finitimus means "neighboring, next," then the capitlaized word is in the accusative:

neighboring WHAT
    next (to) WHAT

In the sentence above, the word "tribes" is not the object of finitimus. Rather it is the noun that the adjective finitimus modifies. Which tribes? The neighboring tribes? Now if Henle said "the tribes neighboring the province," then the word "province" would be in the dative because it is the object of "neighboring."

Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: Henle Latin Ex. 270 #6 w/ finitimus a um and 'ad'

Thank you so much. That helps a lot. I have always struggled with this adj. and now I understand why! You've really cleared up something that has been bugging me for awhile. Yeah!!!

Thanks again,
      Brenda

Comment

Working...
      X