Help with high school Latin plans please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with high school Latin plans please

I'm hoping Michael or Scott or Paul or one of the many MP Latin gurus on here can offer me suggestions. My son is in 9th grade this year. He will finish up Fourth Form in January and have 13 weeks of school left. Originally I had planned to do some "fun" translating during that time using Lingua Biblica and Lingua Angelica and then do the entire Henle 2 in 10th grade. My goal is to do either Henle 3 or an MP online Pre-AP type latin class in 11th and then AP Latin in 12th.

The earlier discussion about Henle 2 got me thinking. In the online class they do the entire Henle 2 (both exercises and Caesar translation) with the guidance of an experienced teacher. Cheryl Lowe recommends for home students without an experienced teacher to take two years to do Henle 2- one year on the 32 lessons and one year on translation of Caesar. I can see how the 32 lessons can easily take a full year. I don't see how the translations can take a year. In Henle 2, the translations are assigned in lessons 17-32 which means 16 sets of translations assignments. That means two weeks per translation assignment if you take a whole year. Most assignments are between 30-60 lines. I can't see taking two weeks to translate 50 lines, but maybe I just have no idea how long it really takes.

So, I have a choice to make. I really don't want to take two full years on Henle 2 nor can I justify the money for an online Henle 2 class (it will be hard enough to pay that money for 11th and 12th grade- I might end up having him take a college level Latin class which would cost about the same money and earn him actual college credit and not just AP credit, but we will have to see what our options are). I still have the goal to finish Henle 2 by the end of 10th grade. I do have the option to add in some light Latin over the summer if needed. I am considering two options right now and I would like input on which seems the best route. One is to go with my original plan and finish out the remaining 13 weeks of 9th grade with Lingua Biblica and Lingua Angelica and do the entire Henle 2 in 10th grade. The other is to do the 16 "review" lessons in Henle 2 in 9th grade over those 13 weeks and then do the remaining 16 lessons with their corresponding translation assignments over the entire 10th grade (basically taking two weeks per lesson/translation). I was really looking forward to a Latin "break" and doing Lingua Biblica and Lingua Angelica for "fun", but I can certainly buckle down and start Henle 2 this year if that is the best option.

I do have another question related to this, but I will ask in a new post so as to not complicate matters.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Re: Help with high school Latin plans please

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
    I'm hoping Michael or Scott or Paul or one of the many MP Latin gurus on here can offer me suggestions. My son is in 9th grade this year. He will finish up Fourth Form in January and have 13 weeks of school left. Originally I had planned to do some "fun" translating during that time using Lingua Biblica and Lingua Angelica and then do the entire Henle 2 in 10th grade. My goal is to do either Henle 3 or an MP online Pre-AP type latin class in 11th and then AP Latin in 12th.

The earlier discussion about Henle 2 got me thinking. In the online class they do the entire Henle 2 (both exercises and Caesar translation) with the guidance of an experienced teacher. Cheryl Lowe recommends for home students without an experienced teacher to take two years to do Henle 2- one year on the 32 lessons and one year on translation of Caesar. I can see how the 32 lessons can easily take a full year. I don't see how the translations can take a year. In Henle 2, the translations are assigned in lessons 17-32 which means 16 sets of translations assignments. That means two weeks per translation assignment if you take a whole year. Most assignments are between 30-60 lines. I can't see taking two weeks to translate 50 lines, but maybe I just have no idea how long it really takes.

So, I have a choice to make. I really don't want to take two full years on Henle 2 nor can I justify the money for an online Henle 2 class (it will be hard enough to pay that money for 11th and 12th grade- I might end up having him take a college level Latin class which would cost about the same money and earn him actual college credit and not just AP credit, but we will have to see what our options are). I still have the goal to finish Henle 2 by the end of 10th grade. I do have the option to add in some light Latin over the summer if needed. I am considering two options right now and I would like input on which seems the best route. One is to go with my original plan and finish out the remaining 13 weeks of 9th grade with Lingua Biblica and Lingua Angelica and do the entire Henle 2 in 10th grade. The other is to do the 16 "review" lessons in Henle 2 in 9th grade over those 13 weeks and then do the remaining 16 lessons with their corresponding translation assignments over the entire 10th grade (basically taking two weeks per lesson/translation). I was really looking forward to a Latin "break" and doing Lingua Biblica and Lingua Angelica for "fun", but I can certainly buckle down and start Henle 2 this year if that is the best option.

I do have another question related to this, but I will ask in a new post so as to not complicate matters.
    Please see your other post for the answer to this question. Thanks!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
    X