Question About Online Latin Summer Classes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Online Latin Summer Classes

I had no idea that there were summer classes. Am I understanding correctly that there are intensive Latin classes that cover an entire book (like First Form, Second Form, etc) to get a child through 2 levels in 1 year? When will these classes be up on the website so I can find out more information about them? My 6th grade daughter (12 in August) is currently in First Form. She really loves it and is working ahead. I've not been able to keep up with her, so I'm thinking that she will end up in the online classes sooner rather than later. The only downside to the classes for us is that she doesn't like taking the summer off, which is why I was thinking of the intensive class for Second Form, thinking that if it ended up being too much for her she would do Second Form online next fall instead of Third Form, and it would make up a bit for her having started later. However, since I know pretty much nothing about these classes, I have no idea what would be appropriate. So, could someone give me an idea what might be offered next summer, if a Second Form Intensive course would be appropriate for a child her age, etc?

Some other general questions I have are: What happens during the classes? Do the students participate remotely, or do they mostly watch instruction? Do they interact through speaking through a microphone or do they type? If they type, how fast do they need to be able to type? How are the assignments and tests sent to the teacher for grading? Can they do them in the regular workbook and test book, or do they need to do something online? My daughter catches on very quickly and tends to be ahead in everything, but she is visually impaired. Her near vision is pretty good, so watching a lesson on a computer screen won't be a problem. However, filling out things online could be more difficult than doing the work on paper, especially if filling out something online looks anything like standardized testing (rows of circles).

I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get when you all are done enjoying your holiday :-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Re: Question About Online Latin Summer Classes

Anyone? Should I be contacting MP to ask this?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
      Anyone? Should I be contacting MP to ask this?
      I'm sorry! This somehow fell through the cracks. I've forwarded your questions to the director of the Online Academy.
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Cheryl,

Thank you very much for the message; I'm sorry, I must've missed this one. We have some summer classes in the Online Academy, but only one FULL class. This class is Second Form, and is meant to be a bridge for older students who have (1) started First Form at an older age and (2) who want to get to a translation class before graduating. So, for an 8th grader it would work out like this if they continued Latin all the way through graduation:

8th grade: First Form
        Summer: Second Form
        9th grade: Third Form
        10th grade: Fourth Form
        11th grade: Caesar translation
        12th grade: Cicero translation or AP Latin

These classes are usually posted by the end of January or the first of February. I've already confirmed that the Second Form Latin intensive is happening, but I have not confirmed the time. If you have a student that is below 8th grade, typically we don't recommended he or she take the class, because of the workload. Last year, though, we had a couple 6th graders and a few 7th graders do just fine, and it actually worked out perfectly for them. In those two cases we had assurances that the student had done well in First Form, that they they had the time, and that they understood the nature of the intensive course. If you think your student is a good candidate for the class then we'd be glad to have her; we put the warning up there to make sure folks know it is challenging. You can see a short description of the class here.

In answer to your other questions:

What happens during the classes?: The class meets live, the instructor goes over review, does oral recitation (with microphones), there is a comprehensive lesson, they work on translation, do some typing drills (typing is typically minimal). The intensive meets twice per week for two 90 minute sessions.

Do the students participate remotely, or do they mostly watch instruction?: Yes, and yes. It is both. They meet live and online, but we do have students participate through various means.

Do they interact through speaking through a microphone or do they type? Both methods of communication are used by the student, although microphones are granted and not automatically available (to maintain order in the class).

If they type, how fast do they need to be able to type? Typically students do not need to type terribly fast. They answer questions about verbs, nouns, forms, etc.

How are the assignments and tests sent to the teacher for grading?Can they do them in the regular workbook and test book, or do they need to do something online? The answer is both. The students complete their workbooks and also work on some of the workbook exercises in class, so that they are not flying blind when they complete the other portions on their own. Then, the student has an online test that covers the vocabulary, grammar forms, and small translations.

I hope this helps! Have a great day!

Scott Piland
        Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy
        onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
        Last edited by Michael; 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you both! That's what I get for posting during vacation, LOL.

Scott - Thank you, that is very helpful! I appreciate the warning and am thinking that the Second Form Intensive probably wouldn't be the best fit based on your description. Will there be a First Form Review? If so, I think it would probably be a better option for her first online class. That way she could get a good review of what she has covered and learn how to take an online class. If not, then probably Second Form next fall would probably be the next most appropriate.

Do you think her vision issues would cause any problems? It sounds like anything she will have to type will be fill in the blank type things. Is this correct? I don't think that would cause any problems. It's rows of circles that would be the most difficult to distinguish (blending together and making it difficult for her to tell which row/column she is in).

What happens if the student is unable to make a live class? Will they be able to watch a recording of the class later?

Thank you!
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Cheryl,

No problem at all. There will definitely be a First Form Review class, and this is usually taught by Highlands Latin School instructor, Anne Parry. You could also wait and evaluate your daughter for the SFL Intensive a little closer to the time. It could be a good fit, depending on how she is doing at that point. I don't think her vision issues would cause a problem, although I don't know for certain. There is no problem with you sitting with her or answering her questions if she cannot see something.

I hope this helps! Have a great rest of the day!

Scott Piland
            Director

Comment

Cheryl,

Oh yes, I think I forgot to answer your last two questions. If a student cannot make a live class, we simply request that (1) the parent email the instructor and (2) the student watches the recorded class. There are, at times, unavoidable conflicts and we certainly don't want to penalize students because of this. Summer classes are a little more relaxed, except for the Second Form Latin intensive, but letting the teacher know is always a good idea. The recordings are automatically posted and available to the student after the class is over.

Thanks again!

Scott Piland
              Director

Comment

Scott,

My girls will hopefully halfway through SFL by the end of summer, so the question for me will be whether to do a review class and keep plugging through or the intensive. Can I ask what the prices are?
                -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 16 grand babies 6 and under!
                2019-20 MP 2nd, 5A, 10th MPOA, College student. Starting 7th year using Memoria Press
                Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Maggie,

No problem at all. The review class is a 5 week class that normally is $99.95. The full intensive class meets for 12 weeks, twice per week (two 90 minute periods) and is $550.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
                  Director

Comment

Thank you Scott!
                    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                    ds 23, graduated
                    dd 15, 9th Grade
                    dd 12, 6th Grade
                    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Is there any chance there will be a 3rd Form review this summer?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the question. There is a chance we will offer a Third Form Latin review, but normally it doesn't get held because of low enrollment.

Good wishes,

Mr. Piland
                        Director

Comment

Working...
                        X