• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maggie
    replied
    Re: Online Latin question.

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Last year my daughter did second form Latin at home with the dvd's in sixth grade. I am stalled out about fourth declension nouns in first form so with a one year old and a first grader in the house it was mostly teach yourself Latin for her. She was a bit behind (made it to end of unit 4) by the end of the year so she took the second form review camp instead of the Latin intensive. The review camp goes through the review lessons and assumes you have been through the book before. My understanding is the intensive class is longer and assumes you are starting from scratch. The review camp gave her a good review and the motivation to get second form finished up over the summer. She is currently in third form as a seventh grader with Mrs. Strickland, loving it, and getting an A.

Dorinda
    Dorinda thank you for sharing your experience! I may gauge how far we get in Second Form before deciding which class will be needed.

Leave a comment:

• spiland
    replied

Hello,

No problem at all. Yes, this would be totally fine for you to do with your high school student and younger student. It is possible for your younger student to join the Second Form Latin intensive over the summer, as long as you know what is involved. We don't necessarily recommend it for everyone and have put 8th grade and above, because as a general rule this is what works out best. However, if you don't have a lot going on during the summer it could be a great chance for your students to work together. Then they could both go into Third Form the following year, if you so choose. If you do it this way, your older student would finish the Latin grammar by the time high school is over (with the completion of Fourth Form), and your younger student would be ready for a translation class at the same time most of our students in the Online Academy are. Once a student is finished with Fourth Form, they transition to Henle Latin II: Caesar.

There is another track that you could take, which would allow your older student to take a translation class (provided that next year is her JUNIOR year), but this would mean that once you're done with the summer intensive course, your two students would be studying different programs. Not programs that are opposed, just different. One would be the Form series, the other would be Henle.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied

Last year my daughter did second form Latin at home with the dvd's in sixth grade. I am stalled out about fourth declension nouns in first form so with a one year old and a first grader in the house it was mostly teach yourself Latin for her. She was a bit behind (made it to end of unit 4) by the end of the year so she took the second form review camp instead of the Latin intensive. The review camp goes through the review lessons and assumes you have been through the book before. My understanding is the intensive class is longer and assumes you are starting from scratch. The review camp gave her a good review and the motivation to get second form finished up over the summer. She is currently in third form as a seventh grader with Mrs. Strickland, loving it, and getting an A.

Dorinda

Leave a comment:

• Maggie
    replied

Originally posted by spiland View Post
    Maggie,

Thank you so very much for the message, and I'm glad you are enjoying the literature class that you're currently in. Mrs. Roemer da Feltre is a true gem! We actually do have a Second Form Latin intensive class over the summer, taught by Mrs. Sue Strickland. Last year was the first year we tried this and it was a great success and really prepared students for Third Form. The classes for next year and next summer are not up yet, but you can see a description of the summer Second Form intensive here. This class meets twice per week during the summer.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you and I will be more than happy to do so.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Scott Piland
    Director
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
    I think that sounds perfect. She does Latin at this point with her sister currently in 6th. I'm thinking if my highschooler took the intensive summer class she would be a better help to my younger daughter as well. Would you advise that my older daughter precede with 3rd form in the fall or is there another option for her online that would be better? I don't want to hold her back, but I also like having the comraderie of the two working on this subject together with her having the lead so to speak. So to be clear, it doesn't sound like my now 6th grader could take that second form summer intensive, is that correct? Obviously I am on vacation as I sit here at midnight bothering you sweet people that are also on vacation .

Leave a comment:

• spiland
    replied

Maggie,

Thank you so very much for the message, and I'm glad you are enjoying the literature class that you're currently in. Mrs. Roemer da Feltre is a true gem! We actually do have a Second Form Latin intensive class over the summer, taught by Mrs. Sue Strickland. Last year was the first year we tried this and it was a great success and really prepared students for Third Form. The classes for next year and next summer are not up yet, but you can see a description of the summer Second Form intensive here. This class meets twice per week during the summer.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you and I will be more than happy to do so.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Scott Piland
    Director
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com

Leave a comment:

• Maggie
    started a topic Online Latin question.

Online Latin question.

We are loving the Online Literature class that my sophomore is taking this year. So I have been kicking around what second class I might want to add in for her next year (she loves Mrs. Roemer da Feltre!) As I'm listening to Mrs. Lowe teaching about Latin in the 2013 teacher training it made me curious about putting her in a Latin class to speed her up a bit. She will start Second Form after Christmas break, so feasibly could be done with that by the end of next summer. Mrs. Lowe was talking how HLS would try to speed up Latin for the students that started late and this is what I would love to do for her. Give her a better chance to translate, and have the benefit of a master teacher. Which class would I put her in? She will be a Junior next fall. I also wondered if you will have a Second Form crash course in the summer?
Working...
X