Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Plans

Hi,

High School is just around the corner for my 13 yr old and I have been trying to sort out and plan what to study for him. Currently the plan for high school is to use the Online classes for AP American History and AP World History. He is wanting/needing to do a world geography course. We used the My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures curriculum a couple years ago. But alot of that is not remembered and he wants a refresher course. If we do the AP history courses for his "10th" and "11th" grades, I think Geography would fit perfectly for 9th grade. Would you recommend using all 3 of your geography courses together, just Geo 3 with Planet Earth, or something else? We didn't use the 7th grade core pkg as we are still switching over to full on MP. He'll be doing 8A/9M Classical, Christian, Logic, and Lit next year; just trying to figure out Modern Studies that wouldn't be too overwhelming.

Thank you for your time,
    Heather

Re: High School Plans

Hi, Heather.

Geography 3 would be a perfect fit for your son. It will review geography mapping skills for all continents. The text will teach about each area of the world's topography, climate, culture, religion, and more. You don't really have to do Planet Earth if you are doing another science course. I would skip it and concentrate on high school science.

And for classical studies, if your son hasn't read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey yet, I would recommend doing that before Vergil's Aeneid.

Let us know if you have other questions. We are always glad to help!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you Tanya, I didn't know if it would be enough. Would it be considered a whole or half credit? Is it a year long course or a semester course. I guess I should have asked that earlier, I just didn't think about it, lol.

He will be doing the Illiad and Odessey this coming spring/summer prior to starting Ancient Romans/Aenid. He has read the Trojan War, Greek Myths, Children's HOMER, and the Rick Riordan series. I cannot believe how much they have learned about the Greek and Roman gods from those books, lol. He likes it and I think he will do well with the Illiad and Oddessey studies. I am quite looking forward to it myself. I always hated getting exerts of stuff in school, but was too intimidated by them to read further. I am so glad I found Memoria Press as I feel I am getting a better education as well. ( I know I say that alot, but I am truly grateful!)

Heather

Comment

Geography III is a very thorough course, especially if you take the time to use the review of mapping the world as a time to gain mastery in this. It would be a high school credit by itself if completed as we intend it to be.

I hope you enjoy Homer!

Tanya
        Last edited by pschaeffer; 11-24-2015, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X