Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Latin Exam Question

Hello!
    I have a quick question about the National Latin Exam. Last year I tested in the Latin 3 level and this year am planning on testing in Latin 3 Prose. I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between these two to me? Also, would you recommend taking Latin 3 Prose after Latin 3? I am currently taking a Memoria Press Online class for Henle 2. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
    Jenchick

Re: National Latin Exam Question

Originally posted by Jenchick1@aol.com View Post
    Hello!
    I have a quick question about the National Latin Exam. Last year I tested in the Latin 3 level and this year am planning on testing in Latin 3 Prose. I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between these two to me? Also, would you recommend taking Latin 3 Prose after Latin 3? I am currently taking a Memoria Press Online class for Henle 2. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Salve!

This is Mrs. Strickland, and I am the teacher for Memoria Press Online Academy's National Latin Exam prep courses. I have been giving the NLE for a number of years to students which has included the Level 3.

If you have already taken the "regular" (non-poetry/prose version) of the NLE, the next step is to take the Prose OR Poetry 3/4. (You cannot take both.) The first thing I would suggest is to look at the NLE Syllabus and compare the contents of Level 3 vs. Level 3/4 Prose. The latter goes to a deeper level of content with even more advanced structures as well as more detailed content with history, mythology, etc. that are not on the Level 3. In addition, you will need to know some basic rhetorical devices such as metonymy, chiasmus, etc. You can find those listed on the syllabus. I would recommend taking the Prose vs. the Poetry because on the latter you would also need to be familiar with scansion and meter in Latin poetry. Since you're in Henle 2 and the focus is on Caesar, the natural choice would be the Prose 3/4.

http://nle.org/pdf/syllabi/NLE_Syllabus2015.pdf

So, my final recommendation is to look at the syllabi for both Level 3 and Level 3/4 Prose, compare, and make sure you know the content on the Prose. If anything is missing, I'm sure your teacher would be willing to help you fill in any missing parts. Take any and all practice exams. Those are a great aid and diagnostic tool as well!

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Mrs. Strickland

Comment

Working...
    X