Classical Composition Credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Composition Credits

How many credits is each Classical Composition Course worth?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Re: Classical Composition Credits

Each course is worth one credit if completed over the course of a year. If you do half the Fable one semester and half the Narrative the next semester, that would be one credit too. I always think that if you spend at least 3 hrs. a week on a subject, that would be equal to one credit because that is how it was in my high school, but that was a long time ago, so maybe that shouldn't be my monitor any more.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Each course is worth one credit if completed over the course of a year. If you do half the Fable one semester and half the Narrative the next semester, that would be one credit too. I always think that if you spend at least 3 hrs. a week on a subject, that would be equal to one credit because that is how it was in my high school, but that was a long time ago, so maybe that shouldn't be my monitor any more.

Tanya
      Thanks Tanya! I was talking with my umbrella school's administrator last night about how to title English in High School. She said that we'll need to have a 1 credit course that is a combination of grammar/literature/composition in 9th grade and literature/composition in 10th - 12th grades. I thought that CC was probably a full credit, so I asked her how I could give my children the full credit for composition. She said that I could add (in electives) a .5 credit composition course and title that however I wanted (I was thinking after the specific course, since the regular English credit was non-specific). So, our English credits might look something like this. Lterature will in part be driven by our history, which is George Grant's 4-year humanities course (I'll be choosing from MP's selection titles to go with the time period being studied).

9th (history is Antiquity)
      English (1 credit): Grammar/Ancient Literature/Classical Composition or Grammar/Classical Literature/Classical Composition (I'm kind of leaning towards the latter)
      Elective (.5 credit): Classical Composition VI or Encomium, Invective, & Comparison or Classical Composition VI: Encomium, Invective, & Comparison

10th (history is Christendom)
      English (1 credit): Christian Literature/Classical Composition
      Elective (.5 credit): Classical Composition VII or Characterization or Classical Composition VII: Characterization Stage

11th (history is American Culture)
      English (1 credit): American Literature/Classical Composition
      Elective (.5 credit): Classical Composition VIII or Description or Classical Composition VIII: Description Stage

12th (history is Modernity)
      English (1 credit): British Literature/Classical Composition
      Elective (.5 credit): Classical Composition IX or Thesis & Law or Classical Composition IX: Thesis & Law

What do you (or anyone else) think? My older kids didn't do nearly as much composition, so I didn't have to separate it out.

Also, if one is finished with EGR before 9th grade, what would you list as the curricula for Grammar in 9th grade? Counting Latin for English Grammar isn't an option.
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
      ds 23, graduated
      dd 15, 9th Grade
      dd 12, 6th Grade
      ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Cheryl,

I really don't know how these classes need to be worded or how picky your state is about it. As far as grammar goes, your writing should be tied to grammar in high school. As your students are writing, you will spot grammar weaknesses, and that is the time to pull out a grammar book and review the trouble area. Every sentence that your student writes and you edit is a grammar lesson. In fact, if you look at our upper level literature guides (9th grade and up), the majority of them have so much writing that these guides alone could constitute a full English credit without doing anything else. They have vocabulary work, comprehension questions, Socratic discussion questions, and essays throughout. When I think about the breadth of just one literature guide that our students do, compared to the quality of the English classes I had in public high school, there is no comparison!

Tanya

Comment

Cheryl,

I really don't know how these classes need to be worded or how picky your state is about it. As far as grammar goes, your writing should be tied to grammar in high school. As your students are writing, you will spot grammar weaknesses, and that is the time to pull out a grammar book and review the trouble area. Every sentence that your student writes and you edit is a grammar lesson. In fact, if you look at our upper level literature guides (9th grade and up), the majority of them have so much writing that these guides alone could constitute a full English credit without doing anything else. They have vocabulary work, comprehension questions, Socratic discussion questions, and essays throughout. When I think about the breadth of just one literature guide that our students do, compared to the quality of the English classes I had in public high school, there is no comparison!

Tanya
          Any of the titles would be fine for my state. I was thinking in terms of what would look best on a transcript. Sorry for the confusion!

Regarding Grammar, I realize that we will be addressing it during writing (and Latin, and Literature, etc). My dilemma is that I will need something on my course of study for 9th grade English that will specifically address Grammar. Maybe I could just put down English Grammar Recitation (the green book)? I think part of the issue is that most are completely unfamiliar with Classical Education and want to see what they expect to see on a Course of Study.
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Our teachers use the old Warriner's grammar books in the classroom for reference. The problem with it is that it is so old, it is difficult to get a key for it. I think it was reprinted, but we didn't like the new modern textbooky look of it when we looked at it several years ago. The little English Grammar Recitation manual would be a good addition too. Maybe someone else will pipe up with a good source for a high school grammar for homeschoolers.

Tanya

Comment

Our teachers use the old Warriner's grammar books in the classroom for reference. The problem with it is that it is so old, it is difficult to get a key for it. I think it was reprinted, but we didn't like the new modern textbooky look of it when we looked at it several years ago. The little English Grammar Recitation manual would be a good addition too. Maybe someone else will pipe up with a good source for a high school grammar for homeschoolers.

Tanya
              Thanks :-) I do have some high school grammar courses (by Michael Clay Thompson) but wasn't really wanting to add a full grammar course. Maybe I'll make sure we are doing EGR 5 in 9th grade and leave it at that.

Do you have an opinion regarding how best to name the Composition Courses? I was trying to name the "elective" class something descriptive that would show more precisely what was done in Composition.

ETA that I do have a Warriner's Grammar book for reference (this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/015...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1).
              Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 11-19-2015, 02:05 PM.
              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
              ds 23, graduated
              dd 15, 9th Grade
              dd 12, 6th Grade
              ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

I like the full name of the composition class: Classical Composition VIII: Description Stage.

I don't think it really matters though. If the person looking at the transcript doesn't know anything about the Progymnasmata, these descriptions aren't going to mean anything to them.

Tanya

Comment

I like the full name of the composition class: Classical Composition VIII: Description Stage.

I don't think it really matters though. If the person looking at the transcript doesn't know anything about the Progymnasmata, these descriptions aren't going to mean anything to them.

Tanya
                  Thanks :-) Yeah, I just wanted it there in case there was someone who had a clue about Classical Education looking at them. My dd would like to go to a Classical College, so that might happen.
                  Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                  ds 23, graduated
                  dd 15, 9th Grade
                  dd 12, 6th Grade
                  ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Absolutely! When my kids were in school at HLS (which wasn't accredited, and not a full-time school), the calls we got from the colleges were because they didn't believe our students had actually read the books listed in their entirety. They thought we had read excerpts. Our level of academic rigor isn't what colleges see these days, unfortunately.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                      Thanks :-) I do have some high school grammar courses (by Michael Clay Thompson) but wasn't really wanting to add a full grammar course. Maybe I'll make sure we are doing EGR 5 in 9th grade and leave it at that.

Do you have an opinion regarding how best to name the Composition Courses? I was trying to name the "elective" class something descriptive that would show more precisely what was done in Composition.

ETA that I do have a Warriner's Grammar book for reference (this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/015...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1).
                      Seton has a key for Warriner's Third (9th grade).
                      I like Warriner's for my high school students as a final formal pass through grammar.

This year, though, I have kids all with a variety of levels, so I am using Daily Grams Ultimate at the student's specific level. Some of my families from last year have continued with Warriner's on their own. The students who have a solid foundation in grammar find the Daily Grams Ultimate is enough. You could do it 2-3 days a week over a couple of years. EGR is a great little book to have on hand, too.
                      Last edited by bean; 11-20-2015, 06:06 AM.
                      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                        Seton has a key for Warriner's Third (9th grade).
                        I like Warriner's for my high school students as a final formal pass through grammar.

This year, though, I have kids all with a variety of levels, so I am using Daily Grams Ultimate at the student's specific level. Some of my families from last year have continued with Warriner's on their own. The students who have a solid foundation in grammar find the Daily Grams Ultimate is enough. You could do it 2-3 days a week over a couple of years. EGR is a great little book to have on hand, too.
                        Thank you for the website! I wonder if there is a key for the book I have. I think I'll start another thread about Warriner's for advice about it.
                        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                        ds 23, graduated
                        dd 15, 9th Grade
                        dd 12, 6th Grade
                        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Working...
                        X