Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iliad Teaching Question

Hello All...

We are getting ready to start The Iliad and I have a question...I am not sure if we should read it together, or if my son should read it on his own and then have a discussion with me...I know at Highlands it is read aloud in class, but I also know that they read the text in 7th grade...Since my son is older, would it still be best to read it aloud together, or is that only done because the students at Highlands are younger?...I purchased the DVDs, so we will also use those after the readings...

Thanks in advance...
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -19 (9/4/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
    DS -15 (9/9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
    DS -13 (7/3/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Re: The Iliad Teaching Question

Tahara,

This really depends on the students. If you have good readers who are interested in the subject, they will be fine reading independently. But, it is always nicer for students to have a shared experience in a book like this. Any time you can read together and discuss, the experience will be richer.

Tanya

Comment

We read it aloud, which was a wonderful experience. I own the Robert Fagles translation, which I think is different from the one MP uses? Not sure. Anyhow, reading aloud works really well for us in our homeschool, though of course every family is going to have an experience unique to them. For us, The Iliad was just one in a long line of wonderful literature -- Gilgamesh, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Beowulf etc etc.
      homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

We use the Samuel Butler translation.

Tanya

Comment

We did a little of both Tahara, Iddy started out reading it with me but she enjoyed the dvd so much she got tired of waiting for me to finish with the rest of the kids each time and began reading on her own, though she still checked in at some point during they day, usually while prepping dinner with me and we talked about the section and her thoughts on it.
          Winter 2019 :
          DD - Graduated!
          DS - core 9 with remediation/support
          DD - core 6 with remediation/support
          DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

I like this idea. I usually started reading everything along with my students, but when they had the plot, characters, themes, etc. in their heads, I felt like I could let them be more independent.

And how lovely for a student to be so excited by Homer that she works ahead of you! Or was it just the good looking Mr. Brooks speeding her ahead?

Tanya

Comment

Thanks all of you...

We will probably end up doing a combination of both...He went ahead and read the Preface and Book One...I will probably still read it aloud with him, but let him read independently when that makes more sense schedule wise...I can see Keanu being like Iddy - not wanting to wait for me in order to move on...I have to make sure I either read with him or keep up...I lost my copy of the book 😔, so we will have to share until I can order another one...

Thank you again...The input was very helpful...
              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                Or was it just the good looking Mr. Brooks speeding her ahead?

Tanya
                Haha!...You never know with teen girls :-)
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  I like this idea.

And how lovely for a student to be so excited by Homer that she works ahead of you! Or was it just the good looking Mr. Brooks speeding her ahead?

Tanya
                  hahhhaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh dear...I won't ask her she might die on the spot...it was not her first reading Homer just the first time we did it for "school" she does love it ... though hmmm she was disappointed to know the Aeneid will have a different teacher
                  Winter 2019 :
                  DD - Graduated!
                  DS - core 9 with remediation/support
                  DD - core 6 with remediation/support
                  DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

Then the Aeneid will be the test. Will she be anxious to get to those dvds, taught by a female teacher?

Tanya

Comment

Tahara,
                      Another option is for you to get the Iliad on audio somehow so you are ready to discuss the work even when you don't read along together. I'm not sure how long it's been since you've read the Iliad, but I hadn't read it in...um...decades. So, I listened to it for free through the OverDrive App from my local library (my library had the Fitzgerald translation). I listened to it this summer before school started and I was in a much better position to discuss The Trojan War with my son. Amazon has the Butler translation on CD for about $21.
                      HTH!
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                      D · 8th
                      D · 5th
                      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                        Tahara,
                        Another option is for you to get the Iliad on audio somehow so you are ready to discuss the work even when you don't read along together. I'm not sure how long it's been since you've read the Iliad, but I hadn't read it in...um...decades. So, I listened to it for free through the OverDrive App from my local library (my library had the Fitzgerald translation). I listened to it this summer before school started and I was in a much better position to discuss The Trojan War with my son. Amazon has the Butler translation on CD for about $21.
                        HTH!
                        I have to go and hide because I have never read The Iliad...I read "Black Ships Before Troy" back when Keanu was in 5th grade, but that is the closest I have come to it...And I saw the movie, "Troy", but I know it didn't happen quite that way...
                        Tahara

Homeschooling two boys

Comment

Working...
                        X