Henle 2 lesson plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henle 2 lesson plans

Will there be lesson plans for Henle 2 in the near future (I would need them by the summer of 2016)? If so will they be two year plans or will one year plans also be offered? I see that your 8A lesson plans have Henle 2 assignments written in the lesson plans, but the 9S plans just say "Henle 2 lesson plans week 18 day 1". I could not find Henle 2 lesson plans on the individual lesson plans page or on the 8A or 9S package page. I would like my son to do Henle 2 in one school year (like your online Henle book 2 class does) for 10th grade starting next summer. Thank you.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Re: Henle 2 lesson plans

We do have Henle II lesson plans at the copy editor now. I looked at them, and it appears that they cover the entire book in a year. If I'm incorrect, Michael will set me straight in the morning.

Tanya

Comment

great!!! I know in the past you broke Henle 2 up over 8th and 9th grade. Since my son is older, I want the one year pace.
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Momgineer,

I wanted to add a slight addendum. MPOA does all of Henle II, both the lessons and the Caesar translation, in one year. However, these classes have the benefit of a master teacher. Cheryl feels that homeschoolers who are working on their own need to move at a slower pace. Therefore, the Henle II plans that will go in the packages cover all of the Henle II lessons, but not the Caesar translation. Cheryl wants students to have another year to solidfy the grammar and syntax they've learned, begin learning new syntax, and practice translating using the many exercises and readings that Henle provides. The following year, they can then begin translating Caesar's Gallic War. So, in summary, both MPOA and the lesson plans cover all the Henle II lessons in one year, but only MPOA also includes the Caesar translation. (Again, the lesson plans have plenty of translation, it's just not from Caesar's Gallic War.)
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Is there a release date yet? My daughter just finished book I with the study guides. I thought maybe she could look at Lingua Latina until the study guides for Henle II are ready or should she try and start Henle II on her own? Is there a beta version for purchase? The Study guides for Henle I worked really well for her and she is familiar with the format.
          Last edited by michelebruce; 11-22-2015, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Michael, for some reason I missed your reply earlier. Thank you for that information. I'm torn about this. I can't justify the cost of the online class (I know you get a lot for your money, but it is still a lot of money- about the cost of a semester college class) so I want to attempt this my own. I hope to get through Henle 3 alone and do AP online. My son is enrolled in Kolbe and if I use their lesson plans they do the entire book in one semester. They take 3 semesters to cover Henle 1 and one semester to cover Henle 2. They do this by combining lessons. I believe the first 18 (or so) lessons are review and the other half is new. Kolbe assigns portions of a review lesson and a new lesson in one week (so they would assign lesson 1 and 19 the same week). And it is my understanding that the translations are assigned in the text as part of lesson 19 on. So if you do that lesson, the Caesar translation is part of the lesson.
            So in Cheryl's plans does she assign one lesson a week but leave out the Caesar translation part of the lesson? Then, are the Caesar translation assignments all they do in year 2 or is there more grammar work? That just doesn't seem like a full credit of high school Latin to only do the Caeasar part of the text over a full year. I understand why this is good if you finish Fourth Form in 7th grade as per your plans, but my son is finishing Fourth Form in 9th grade (with a B+ grade so far 3/4 way through the text)
            Do you feel it is too big a challenge for a homeschooled 10th grader (with a Latin incompetent mom/teacher) to attempt the entire book including Caesar in one school year?
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Thank you, this has been very interesting! I have a related question. Will there be any DVD's made for any of the Henle (particularly 2 and 3) texts? I'm thinking that I'll have no choice but an online class if there aren't DVD's.
              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
              ds 23, graduated
              dd 15, 9th Grade
              dd 12, 6th Grade
              ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

michelebruce,
                The Henle II Lesson Plans and Quizzes and Tests are at the printer and we should have them back in the office and ready to ship in about a month.

momgineer,
                Yes, Cheryl assigns approximately one lesson a week (some take more or less time), but the Caesar work is not assigned. Part of this is because Caesar is now included on the AP Exam, and the lines included are not exactly the same as the lines in the Henle II text. Therefore, we now use a different, AP Caesar text for that following year, which is spent entirely on translation. I double-checked with Cheryl and whether you read the Caesar in Henle II or the Caesar in an AP text, either is plenty of work to count for a full credit of high-school Latin. You could do the Kolbe plan if you wanted, but you would need to spend probably close to 2-3 hours a day to get all that Latin done. All this is to say, you have several options that will work, it just depends how much time you and your son want to devote to Latin.

Cheryl in CA,
                We would love to have DVD's, but currently there is no ETA on when or if they'll be available.
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  michelebruce,
                  Cheryl in CA,
                  We would love to have DVD's, but currently there is no ETA on when or if they'll be available.
                  Thank you! We have several years before Henle 2, so I'll hope :-) It's nice to know they might be a possibility! I really love all of MP's DVD courses!! Even when I feel confident teaching something (which is not the case with Latin, LOL), having a DVD makes life easier!
                  Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                  ds 23, graduated
                  dd 15, 9th Grade
                  dd 12, 6th Grade
                  ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

michelebruce,
                    Yes, Cheryl assigns approximately one lesson a week (some take more or less time), but the Caesar work is not assigned. Part of this is because Caesar is now included on the AP Exam, and the lines included are not exactly the same as the lines in the Henle II text. Therefore, we now use a different, AP Caesar text for that following year, which is spent entirely on translation. I double-checked with Cheryl and whether you read the Caesar in Henle II or the Caesar in an AP text, either is plenty of work to count for a full credit of high-school Latin. You could do the Kolbe plan if you wanted, but you would need to spend probably close to 2-3 hours a day to get all that Latin done. All this is to say, you have several options that will work, it just depends how much time you and your son want to devote to Latin.
                    Let me see if I have this straight. In the online courses, the translation of Caesar is done in the Henle 2 course and is the version in the Henle 2 book, but at HLS the Caesar translation is done the year after Henle 2 and is a different text. Am I understanding correctly?
                    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                    ds 23, graduated
                    dd 15, 9th Grade
                    dd 12, 6th Grade
                    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                      Let me see if I have this straight. In the online courses, the translation of Caesar is done in the Henle 2 course and is the version in the Henle 2 book, but at HLS the Caesar translation is done the year after Henle 2 and is a different text. Am I understanding correctly?
                      Yes, but I'm going to forward this forum post to the Director of the Online Academy so he can explain how they approach Caesar.
                      Michael
                      Memoria Press

Comment

Yes, but I'm going to forward this forum post to the Director of the Online Academy so he can explain how they approach Caesar.
                        Thank you! Does HLS Latin schedule in high school look like this?

9th Henle 2
                        10th Caesar
                        11th Henle 3
                        12th AP Latin
                        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                        ds 23, graduated
                        dd 15, 9th Grade
                        dd 12, 6th Grade
                        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                          Thank you! Does HLS Latin schedule in high school look like this?

9th Henle 2
                          10th Caesar
                          11th Henle 3
                          12th AP Latin
                          Not exactly. HLS has the advantage of master teachers, so they can teach courses that will not work for the homeschooler. That's what we're still in the process of developing, a high school Latin path that will work for the homeschooler. Stay tuned!
                          Michael
                          Memoria Press

Comment

Not exactly. HLS has the advantage of master teachers, so they can teach courses that will not work for the homeschooler. That's what we're still in the process of developing, a high school Latin path that will work for the homeschooler. Stay tuned!
                            Thanks :-) Will the online classes eventually mirror the HLS classes? I was thinking they would basically be the same since they too have a master teacher. That's what's confusing me...though it doesn't seem to take much these days ;-)
                            Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                            ds 23, graduated
                            dd 15, 9th Grade
                            dd 12, 6th Grade
                            ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the question. I'll be happy to outline how and why the Online Academy differs. Typically we recommend students taking the Henle II: Caesar class after they finish the basic grammar. So, students coming from the Henle First Year Text and the Fourth Form Text will take the Caesar class. What we did with our Caesar class (a number of years back) is combine the exercises with some of the translations from Henle's Caesar, enough to make a challenging but manageable first translation class. We have continued to do this mostly because we have a good track record with our homeschool students (the primary audience of the online academy), and we've seen no need to change it at this point, although that's possible in the future. Some of our students get through the Latin grammar and only have one year left, and want an introductory class that does significant translations of Caesar portions, without the pressure of taking an AP Latin class or using a book associated with the AP class (as HLS uses now). Secondly, we have students who are planning on doing the AP Latin or Cicero class, and this is still the perfect class for them since it (1) gives a thorough review with exercises, and (2) also gives them some more manageable translations to complete before moving along. If in the following years students decide to take Henle Third Year text (Cicero), or AP, they're really well prepared. And this is really important, because both the Cicero online class and the AP Latin online class hit the ground running and are fairly demanding. Having a gentler translation class (but still challenging), with really specific feedback from our instructors (Timmis and Cutrer), really helps them in the long run when they get to tougher classes.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
                              Director
                              Memoria Press Online Academy
                              onlineacademy@memoriapress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X