Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessity of order of steps in verse?

Hello,

In the words "DISAMIS" and "CAMESTRES", why is it necessary to perform the steps in order? Doesn't CAMESTRES work regardless of the order? If I perform Mutatio first, don't I have to perform the first "S" on the "E" statement that has now moved from the minor premise slot to the major premise slot? I would greatly appreciate any explanation so that I may answer my students who have raised these questions.

In Pace Christi,

Chris Ruckdeschel
    cruckdeschel@minisink.com

Why you should do the reduction operations in order

Originally posted by cruckdeschel
    Hello,

In the words "DISAMIS" and "CAMESTRES", why is it necessary to perform the steps in order? Doesn't CAMESTRES work regardless of the order? If I perform Mutatio first, don't I have to perform the first "S" on the "E" statement that has now moved from the minor premise slot to the major premise slot? I would greatly appreciate any explanation so that I may answer my students who have raised these questions.

In Pace Christi,

Chris Ruckdeschel
    cruckdeschel@minisink.com
    Doing the procedures in the order they appear in the syllogism name is important because it can result in confusion if it is not done this way. You are correct in saying that if the student keeps in mind the fact that, for example, the S in DISAMIS goes along with the I statement that precedes it, so that when the mutatio is done, the student should know that he no longer is performing it on the major premise (since the major has become the minor and the minor the major), but on the I premise that was indicated by the preceding vowel which is now the minor premise. But that is a big "if". I find that my students sometimes still want to perform the S operation on the new major premise rather than on the I statement that is now the minor premise. In other words, if you do them in order, there is less chance of confusion than if they don't.

Comment

Working...
    X