The City of God and other book studies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The City of God and other book studies.

Are there lesson plans available for The City of God? I have purchased the book, student guide, teacher's guide, and quiz/test book with answer key. I was hoping for a lesson plan booklet like the one available for The Divine Comedy. Those lesson plan books are a huge time saver for me.

A second question: I am wondering if there is any reason not to read the larger books in the book studies at a faster rate. For example, with The Divine Comedy, the lesson plan book calls for 28 weeks. Would it be ill advised to attempt to do it in 14? Is there some reason the book is doled out so slowly? We are using these texts for a 12th grader.

Thanks!
    Kristy

Re: The City of God and other book studies.

We do not currently have lesson plans for the City of God. The lesson plans are getting done as we get to the grades where our programs are appropriate so I don't think we will have them by the time you need them.

As for the Divine Comedy, we see it being used in 11th or 12th grade but we do spend all year on it at HLS. We think it is worth reading in its entirety though most people only read the "interesting" parts. We do not want to fall into the trap of doing a lot but not having the time to go deeply into it. That's to say it is always possible to speed up the study of the Divine Comedy but if I were you I would think carefully about whether you will have the time to read, think about, and write about 64 pages of poetry a week (as that is what will have to be done to read the entire work in 14 weeks). Hopefully that helps!

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Director, Schools Division
    Memoria Press

Comment

If there are no lesson plans for City of God, can you please explain how it is designed to be done? I was disappointed that the teacher guide has no actual teaching help but is basically just an answer key. I have purchased the complete set including quizzes and am not clear on how this should be completed for my student.
      Thanks,
      Angela

Comment

Hi, Angela.

I'm sorry you are disappointed in our Teacher for City of God. That is on our long-term list of things to do, but it is going to take a really dedicated teacher to pull it off one summer, and I didn't find anyone willing to do it this summer. I can try to get lesson plans done this winter though. I added it to my winter task list.

The way we teach the class is to have the students fill in the Vocabulary and then do a read-through of each Book. This is a very difficult book, and so I wouldn't put a lot of pressure on students to take it all in immediately. After their first read-through, students need to go back and summarize the chapters. This is an activity in which you can lead your student by using the Chapter Summaries we provide in the Teacher Guide. Some students will need more help than others. Then, students would answer the Comprehension Questions. And we provide Focus Passages that further nail down the themes in each Book that students should concentrate on. When your student is ready for the quiz, you would find it helpful to go through the quiz orally first, letting the student take notes about the things he/she can't answer. This will ensure that the student has the correct material to study since there is so much material in the reading. You will really have to hold your student's hand through this course because it is such a difficult read. It is a challenge for high school, so just go into it with the goal of introducing your student to Augustine and his main precepts. The themes that run through City of God are themes that will enhance your student's education since they are the foundation for themes that are prevalent throughout history and into the contemporary world.

I hope this helps some!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya!

Thank you for your very helpful reply! It gives me a great idea on how to proceed.

Many blessings!
          Angela

Comment

Working...
          X