Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we talk more about "how to mark a book" ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we talk more about "how to mark a book" ...

Perhaps it is only the part of me that does the bills that cringes but as I prep for yr 8 in the fall I started to think about all the books that potentially could be written in by dd.

As she is the oldest of 4 my brain started doing the math and rebelled.

The last few years I have been having her marks spots in her books with sticky flag notes and make notes with post-its, but as she gets into higher level lit it has gotten unwieldy and really writing in her student copies is going to be a more efficient and beneficial exercise...

I certainly remember having to buy and write in my copies at my high school, and my copy of Simply Classical maybe relatively new but has a multitude of notes through out so am not sure why I am feeling resistant...I know writing in a student copy is not like writing in our hardbound copy of the Iliad.

Any thoughts on this? It is probably one of those "just get over it" situations...
    Winter 2020 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 10 with remediation/support
    DD - core 7 with remediation/support
    DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Re: Can we talk more about "how to mark a book" ...

Do you mean writing in the student guides or writing in novels that the students read?...I am one of those people who NEVER wrote in books of any kind...I underlined some things in pencil in the book I am reading now and in the last book I read...I guess I am starting to get use to the idea...

I don't have "How to Mark a Book", so I am not sure what is suggested yet...
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
    DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
    DS -14 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

I'm curious about this too. I did buy my rising ninth grader his own copy of two literature books. But I don't know if all books should be his. Or should we only focus on certain ones. Or how to get over the eventual cost of multiple children needing their own copies as they hit high school.
      Brit

Catholic mom to five
      2019-2020:
      Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
      Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
      Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
      Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
      Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Originally posted by The Autumn Oak View Post
        Do you mean writing in the student guides or writing in novels that the students read?...I am one of those people who NEVER wrote in books of any kind...I underlined some things in pencil in the book I am reading now and in the last book I read...I guess I am starting to get use to the idea...

I don't have "How to Mark a Book", so I am not sure what is suggested yet...
        Yes the actual novel/text...
        Winter 2020 :
        DD - Graduated!
        DS - core 10 with remediation/support
        DD - core 7 with remediation/support
        DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

I'm conflicted about this as well. I'm teaching the 9th grade lit in a co-op setting, and I have in past provided library books for the students. I hate to ask the families to spend more money on books. However, I don't feel the students are reading thoroughly. So for this time and this group, marking is the best choice.

So for this year, we will mark the books. They all have younger siblings, so I may ask them to mark in pencil. If I have their siblings, I may invest in a colored pencil of the year to have them each mark the book with. It might be rainbow after the last kiddo....
          Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

I'm buying everyone his own book...

I don't like to read books with highlighting, underlining, or any writing...I am giving each boy his books to keep, so that is how I am thinking about it...It is going to be more expensive (we tend to be broke :-0), but I am just factoring it into the yearly cost...I am also getting the books I will read for myself, so I will end up with probably 4 copies of some of these books...
            Tahara

Homeschooling two boys

Comment

Re: I'm buying everyone his own book...

Originally posted by The Autumn Oak View Post
              I don't like to read books with highlighting, underlining, or any writing...I am giving each boy his books to keep, so that is how I am thinking about it...It is going to be more expensive (we tend to be broke :-0), but I am just factoring it into the yearly cost...I am also getting the books I will read for myself, so I will end up with probably 4 copies of some of these books...
              Are you going to do this for all subjects or just some? That's my big dilemma. I've decided for lit. I think I need to buy him his own Iliad and Odessey as well. But I'm adding some Plutarch to second semester and am debating buying him his own copies of that, too.
              Brit

Catholic mom to five
              2019-2020:
              Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
              Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
              Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
              Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
              Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Re: I'm buying everyone his own book...

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
                Are you going to do this for all subjects or just some? That's my big dilemma. I've decided for lit. I think I need to buy him his own Iliad and Odessey as well. But I'm adding some Plutarch to second semester and am debating buying him his own copies of that, too.
                I am thinking only the lit books...I am doing Iliad and Odyssey too this year, and plan to get myself a copy of each in addition to his copies...I am planning on two copies of the 7A/8M lit books too, unless we really can't afford it ...I have two younger boys both doing the 3rd grade core, so they also each need a copy of the lit books...And I would like to have a "teacher's copy" of the lit books of my own...

This is my plan as long as we can fund it...If I find that we cannot, then I will try and get the more important books, or buy the extra books as we go along to help with the upfront costs...
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys

Comment

When my boys were in school, they each got their own copies of the novels and rarely shared. I looked at it as a way to begin building their individual libraries because they were always books that you would want on a book shelf. They probably could have shared a lot because my older son never marked in his books - except his Concise History of the American Republic, where he highlighted all the answers to the comprehension questions. And that book was so expensive that I didn't buy a second one. It was halfway through my younger son's year using it that I discovered he wasn't reading the chapters because he didn't have to! The answers he needed were all marked for him. Live and learn ...

Tanya

Comment

I personally struggle to read a book without marking in it....I have done it so long that I don't remember not doing it. However, I have gone to the post-it note route....because I borrow books, and lend books so frequently that I would hate to be reading and accidentally mark up someone else's book! So the books I am actively on, have tons of post its sticking out all over it, which is pretty humorous! I do have a few books from my own younger years that have my scribbles in them, and it is funny to go back and reread the book, realizing what struck me before, and how I think of it now. My daughter has read a couple of them too, and it is like she is sharing in my conversation with the book!

The idea of marking up the book is, from what I remember of Adler, a way of having a conversation with the author or characters, and even more, participating in the Great Conversation. I do find it immensely helpful to reading more closely. If I do not have my pen and post its handy, I find I don't read as well, and remember less, because I have not mulled over what I have read, assembled it as thoughts, decided to agree or disagree, or connected it to other things I know. In short, less value from having read it. Perhaps that can be a motivator for justifying the cost of new copies? And I love that idea of having them be books you send off with your children to start their own libraries!

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2020-2021
                    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                    DS, 16
                    DD, 14
                    DD, 12
                    DD, 10
                    DD, 8
                    DD, 6
                    +DS+