AP Latin Exam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AP Latin Exam

At what point would a student be able to take the AP Latin exam?...How far would you have to go in Latin to have covered enough Latin to have a chance at doing well on the test?
    Tahara

Homeschooling three boys
    DS -16 (9/4/00)
    DS -12 (9/9/04)
    DS -11 (7/3/06)

I'm looking forward to MP's response, but I wanted to point out that MP offers an AP Latin class. They suggest two years of translation first (such as Henle 2 and 3) or one year of translation for an older, strong student. I'm thinking though that to take the AP exam it is best to use an AP class or at least AP prep material specific to the test. I believe MP said Henle 4 is not good enough prep for AP which is why they offer AP instead of Henle 4.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 23, graphic design and illustration major
    DS, 21, mechanical engineering major
    DS, 19, Dual chemistry and Philosophy major, considering Catholic seminary
    DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
    DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
    DS, 10, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 5A
    DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Comment

We do suggest two to three years of translation prior to taking an AP Latin course followed by the exam. An AP Latin course is important because the exam is as much about the content of the works as it as about the ability to translate Latin. A course solely on Virgil translation will not make it through all the content the AP exam expects since they pull from various authors.

It is important to note that before getting to translation the student would need to cover all the grammar (either through the Form Series or the Henle First Year book). We find that students who go through the Form series come out with a much stronger grasp of the grammar than a student that does Henle in two years--this could possibly lead to him doing less translation prior to doing an AP course.

Paul
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Director, Schools Division
      Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
      X