Classical Conversations and Memoria Press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Conversations and Memoria Press

My son participated in Challenge A this year. I wasn't going to continue next year because of logistics and proceeded to plan out his 9th grade year using mostly Memoria Press. However, my son really, really, really wants to do Challenge B next year (friendships mostly) and he does do well wrestling with big ideas externally in a group environment. My parents and friends have offered to help with logistic issues so that is no longer a problem. My question/problem is is it feasible/possible to combine ChB work with what I have from Memoria Press? The original plan for next year w/Memoria Press included Latin, US History - year 1, Ancient Greeks and Homer, and the 8th grade Literature package. Composition would continue with IEW and science with Apologia. Anyway, I don't have a problem flexing the Latin, writing, and science. But I really want him to keep with the US History, Classic studies of Ancient Greeks and Homer, and at least some of the literature. I don't think it would be too much, he says he'll do it all if he can keep going to CC (haha), but I want to be realistic. He isn't the most academically inclined child but does well as long as expectations are clear and not overwhelming. Thoughts?
    Peace and all good,
    Tricia

2018/2019
    DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
    DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
    DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
    ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Hello.

I didn't know enough about CC to answer your question, but Martin Cothran's wife, Joyce, was a tutor several years ago, so I asked her for help. Here is her response to me:

Classical Conversations seminars meet once a week so that is one day of the schedule. The seminars can be very valuable, especially Mock Trial and Debate. The friendship is important too. That being said, if this were my son I would use the Memoria Press Curriculum as the core First Form Latin, Ancient Greeks and Homer, US history and our 8th grade lit set.
    I would work the CC assignments around those. Her son can(and has to) participate in all the seminars, but he doesn't have to do all the CC written work. For example, he can read the novels they assign but not write the paper. He can participate in the Latin seminar, but actually work in First Form. I strongly recommend this for Latin unless he has an excellent Latin teacher who knows how to make Henle accessible for 8th graders.
    If she modifies the CC workload, I think this could work well for her son. Challenge B is a step up work wise from Challenge A, but it is nothing like the very rigorous Challenge I.
    I think if her son is motivated and she balances the workload, this could work very well.
    I hope this helps.
    Joyce

Comment

This was almost exactly what I was thinking and glad to know it isn't unrealistic on my part. Thank you!
      Peace and all good,
      Tricia

2018/2019
      DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
      DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
      DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
      DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
      DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
      ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Comment

Working...
      X