Latin after unit 6 Henle 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin after unit 6 Henle 1

My 8th grader is currently wrapping up her Latin 1 credit. She has completed Henle 1 through most of unit 7 in a co-op setting. I don't know if we are going to be able to continue her Latin studies in this same setting, so I am searching for a way for her to continue her studies at home with just my support. I see that there is an online course through MP for Henle 1 unit 7-14. I assume this could be counted as Latin 2. However, I am not sure we will be able to afford this option. Since I don't have a Latin background, I am nervous about having her work through the rest of Henle 1 on her own. Would it be possible to switch to the First Form series, and would these be easier to complete since they come with DVDs? If so, which book would she switch to? Would this be an easy switch, or would there be holes in her Latin study? Am I correct in assuming that First Form would be easier to work through? Is it possible to do one book in a semester?

Yes, you could count the "Henle I: Units 6-14" class as your "Latin 2" credit. If it turns out the Online Academy is too expensive, we do sell a study guide for those same units that gives you a day by day plan for completing them. You could also do the Forms. You would probably want to start with Third Form and just go slowly at first while you adjust to the different vocabulary. The only "holes" will be Henle Lessons 32, 36.1, and 37.1. Third Form will assume she has done those lessons. However, other parts of Third Form would be review, but it would only be topics that your daughter covered late in Henle (e.g. the subjunctive) and the review would be beneficial. You would want to take the full year to complete Third Form.

I do want to note that if you complete Third Form and go on to Fourth Form, the latter book is keyed to Henle I and will finish it, allowing your student to go directly to Henle II after completing Fourth Form. So really, it is your choice whether to finish the content of Henle I in 1 year (by sticking with Henle) or 2 years (Third Form and Fourth Form) but with the help of the Forms organization and DVD's.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

So to be sure that I understand my two options.
      Option 1:
      9th Grade: 2nd half of Henle 1 either online or using MP lesson plans - Latin 2 Credit
      10th Grade: Henle 2 Caesar - Latin 3 Credit

Option 2:
      9th Grade: Third Form Latin - Latin 2 Credit
      10th Grade: Fourth Form Latin - Latin 3 Credit
      11th Grade: Henle 2 Caesar - Latin 4 Credit

By going through Option 2, she would get a more in-depth study into the grammar of Latin but would basically cover the same topics over a two year period instead of one year. However, the full 2 credits are justified through the increased depth of the study using the forms series.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Yes, you could count the "Henle I: Units 6-14" class as your "Latin 2" credit. If it turns out the Online Academy is too expensive, we do sell a study guide for those same units that gives you a day by day plan for completing them. You could also do the Forms. You would probably want to start with Third Form and just go slowly at first while you adjust to the different vocabulary. The only "holes" will be Henle Lessons 32, 36.1, and 37.1. Third Form will assume she has done those lessons. However, other parts of Third Form would be review, but it would only be topics that your daughter covered late in Henle (e.g. the subjunctive) and the review would be beneficial. You would want to take the full year to complete Third Form.

I do want to note that if you complete Third Form and go on to Fourth Form, the latter book is keyed to Henle I and will finish it, allowing your student to go directly to Henle II after completing Fourth Form. So really, it is your choice whether to finish the content of Henle I in 1 year (by sticking with Henle) or 2 years (Third Form and Fourth Form) but with the help of the Forms organization and DVD's.

Comment

You are correct!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X