Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would love help placing upcoming 10th grader.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would love help placing upcoming 10th grader.

I found Memoria 2 years ago, (finishing 2nd year). I have used JrK, K, 3rdA and 4th A with 2 of my daughters, my daughter that will be entering 10th had only had LC1 and First Form as far as MP curriculum goes. She has a good history base with past curriculum but never specifically classical studies or historical Christian studies. I have a hard time deciding what to do with her last 3 years. Here is what I feel sure about.

Second Form Latin
    Algebra 1
    Geography 3 looks wonderful.
    IEW writing and grammar

Any help placing her in classical, modern and Christian studies, literature package would really be helpful.

Also, she had Biology this year and I want her science to be light this next year as she really focuses more on these areas that she hasn't had. Then she could take Chemestry her junior year. That being said I've wondered about combining a few Tiner books or Natures Beautiful Order, any thoughts there? Is there a combination that would mimic Physical Science? She has done Astronomy and Planet Earth from Tiner.

This daughter is thoughtful in nature and loves to read so whatever modern studies she does I would like it to go with one of the poetry anthologies.

Lastly, I want as much help for me the teacher as possible So choices with guides or videos are a must!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any thoughts are much appreciated!
    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 14 grand babies 5 and under!
    2018-19 MP 1st, 4A, 9M and MPOA, College student. Starting 6th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Science suggestion

She could do Tiner Chemistry and Physics (which give historical context and a gentle introduction to Chemistry and Physics), plus Nature's Beautiful Order. None of those books are very demanding for a high school student. Spend a third of the year on each. Please keep in mind that most colleges want to see laboratory work for high school science, and that would not be a part of this sequence. If college admission is a goal, you might consider the Introductory Physics course from MP Online Academy (designed for 9th-12th grade and includes lab work) or possibly the Physical Science course from MPOA (which is designed for 6-8th grade and includes some lab work).

Blessings,
    Cindy in Indy
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-24 college graduate: working, reading, writing
    ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
    dd-21 college junior: Nursing

Comment

I would second Cindy's suggestion about the online science courses through the academy. My daughter (8th) is in the Physical Science course ...and it has been excellent! I have been able to have that completely off my plate, and she is learning a lot! The course she is in is a wonderful physical science course, but is not super heavy duty either. She may really like it.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2018-2019
      DD 18 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
      DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 14 months

Comment

Thank you both for the science ideas! I would love to try online but it's a little pricey for us at this point. I did think about having her try the logic course over the summer, I forgot to add that to my post, she hasn't had any and if she had that class she would go into Traditional Logic II in the fall correct?

Classical studies:
        Illiad and Oddysey- is this ok to start?

Christian studies:
        The Story of Christianity with study guide

Literature:
        Grade 8 or 9 set, I'm torn because she hasn't read any of the 8th.
        Poetry and Short Stories, American or Poetry, Prose and Drama book1???

Geography 3 and Concise History of the American Republic
        Science I think will be an Abeka Physical Science I just found in my basement .
        Last edited by Maggie; 04-27-2015, 11:53 AM. Reason: More clarity
        -Amy

2018-19 MP 1st, 4A, 9M and MPOA, College student. Starting 6th year using Memoria Press
        Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Hi Maggie,
          I like your choices (my comments are marked with *):
          Classical studies:
          Illiad and Oddysey- is this ok to start?
          *Yes, I think this is perfect. Then she can do Aeneid in 11th; Divine Comedy or Cicero in 12th.

Christian studies:
          The Story of Christianity with study guide
          *Sounds like it fits your goals. I might plan City of God in 11th; Divine Comedy in 12th; but other options would also work (History of the Early Church; Wars of the Jews)

Literature:
          Grade 8 or 9 set, I'm torn because she hasn't read any of the 8th.
          Poetry and Short Stories, American or Poetry, Prose and Drama book1???
          *I would lean toward 8th grade set. You can do 9th grade next year and finish with Shakespeare and "upper-school Lit" in 12th grade.

Geography 3 and Concise History of the American Republic
          *sounds good
          Science I think will be an Abeka Physical Science I just found in my basement
          *good prep for Chem in 11th and Physics in 12th

Blessings,
          Cindy in Indy
          Cindy Davis
          Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
          ds-24 college graduate: working, reading, writing
          ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
          dd-21 college junior: Nursing

Comment

Cindy, thank you for your clear thoughts. My younger ones are so easy because they are "on plan" but the upper level is so intimidating to me because these are books I've never read so I don't have a grid of "they need this" I plan to try to read ahead in all of her books this summer if possible. So to clarify, should I do the American short stories with the 8th grade literature?
            -Amy

Comment

Hello.

The American Poetry & Short Stories is scheduled in the lesson plans for 8th grade lit., so that would be the obvious one to do. And it fits in well with the reading selections. Next year, when you complete the 9th grade lit., British Poetry I will be scheduled in those lit. plans.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you Tanya!
                -Amy

Comment

Working...
                X